• Redeater - January 30, 2014 12:29 a.m.

It's pretty simple for me. If it's a completely broken game with shit gameplay mechanics that are causing you to die, I'll give it up because my valuable time could be better spent on the giant backlog of games I have in my possession. Sometimes you just have to be in the right mindset to enjoy a game. For example, when Max Payne 3 came out, I struggled through it on normal and shelved it with mind disgust. A year later I picked it up again and completed the hardest mode and all the extra modes as well. It actually went on to become one of my favorite games ever made. Games like Rayman, Mario, Super Meatboy? You're goddamn right I'm going to 100% that shit. Interestingly enough, I don't think I've given up on a game since the NES days. (Though that actually might have something to do with the fact I try not to buy terrible games)
  • antiAntag0nist - January 30, 2014 3:41 p.m.

I'm kinda having that same problem with Max Payne 3 now. I got it about a week ago and was struggling with one section of the game. I almost gave up on it, but I did manage to progress. I'm really digging the game, so I just might see it through.
  • supergiraffe - January 30, 2014 12:20 a.m.

I don't think I've ever had an experience quite like that. Usually if a game is just to hard for me to have fun with it I quit right way before the ending. And usually if I'm right up until the end I'll usually try and power through. That last fight in Bioshock infinite almost made me quit. I think I got down to that last robot guy 4 or 5 times with no ammo or salts left, and was just desperately trying to beat it to death.
  • Redeater - January 30, 2014 12:38 a.m.

Lol I hear that. I almost rage quit because I died way too many times on that stupid level. I'm thinking that level just had bad programming because I finished the game 3 more times after that including 1999 mode without using a vending machine and every single time was a cakewalk. Keep in mind this was playing exactly the same way as my first time around. Sometimes games just like to fuck you over I think. I remember having a hell of a time beating RAAM in GOW on the hardest mode.I finally beat him and was replaying the same level with some random guy on XBL a few weeks later when I sniped him to death without him touching either of us. The guy was in awe. "I have been trying to beat this fucker for weeks and you killed him in like 3 minutes." Gotta love good ol fashioned "fuck you" gamer luck.
  • supergiraffe - January 30, 2014 12:48 a.m.

I loved Infinite, but between that last rush and the ghost, I don't know if I ever want to go back and play it again.
  • Redeater - January 30, 2014 2:09 a.m.

That's one trope they need drop in gaming. "Boss fights just for the sake of having a boss fight". Honestly, how many people were dissapointed they didn't get to fight some giant Resident Evil type clicker at the end of The Last of Us? Answer: NO ONE!
  • BladedFalcon - January 29, 2014 10:40 p.m.

It varies from people to people, but yeah, generally, if you no longer are enjoying yourself when playing a game, why keep doing it? To me though, I DO feel like i owe it to myself to rise up to the challenge and beat a game IF it's a game that I genuinely like overall, even if I find myself stuck in a hard part. And having beaten hundreds of games at this point, i don't regret ever going trough the end, even when some are games that in hindsight I didn't like that much, if they were good enough to capture my attention at that moment, I don't regret putting effort in it.
  • GOD - January 29, 2014 9:20 p.m.

So... you DO want us to pull out?
  • KnightDehumidifier - January 29, 2014 8:42 p.m.

That moment came to me upon playing Retro City Rampage. I'm not going to lie, I did like this game, it shoved far too many references in your face at once but it wasn't entirely bad. The worst moment came at the end of the game, where the game immediately shifted from a top-down free roaming action game to the likes of GTAs pre-III, to the terrible racing game genre of Rad Racer or Mach Rider and other 8-bit racing games at the time. The controls were so twitch and felt like nothing that resembled the rest of the game that playing it made me enraged on how many times I kept failing the final mission, and how the game kept pushing me to finish it, even though I grew more and more enraged in playing something I did not want to play, was terrible at playing, and required near immaculate skill when played. I ultimately stopped playing Retro City Rampage, and never looked back. I took the idea of never beating that game as an acceptable situation, and maybe I'll come back to that game when I'm bored and looking to try it again, but it will definitely be a while.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - January 29, 2014 6:32 p.m.

Grand Master Galaxy took many many lives from me...
  • TurkeyOnRye - January 29, 2014 6:16 p.m.

Great article. I have fallen victim to the guilt of stopping a game part way through because the urge to go ahead and finish an un-fun game is so strong. I also don't see the problem of saving hours of your life just watching a Youtube video knock out that last bit to see what you've missed. Recent example: Mortal Kombat 2011. I played through the entire story mode and enjoyed it and decided to play through each individual character's campaign to see their ending. Part way through the list I gave up. I sent it back to Gamefly and watched the rest of the endings on Youtube. I didn't feel any guilt though. I was saving hours of repetitive play to watch a minute of ending per character. I had seen all of the story mode, all of the fatalities, all of the alternative costumes. I had my fill. Then I moved onto another game.
  • Moondoggie1157 - January 29, 2014 5:01 p.m.

Demons souls made me feel this way, I'd been playing for a about 3 months without the knowledge of that whole "summon other players thing" so yea, I gave up many times. luckily, I eventually found out what that summoning shit was all about and now the game has become 10 times as good. Mind you i'm still stuck at the moment (fucking adjudicator) but I know that with patience and skill I can eventually beat it, that game has really made me feel good about myself.
  • BALLSTOTHEWALLET - January 29, 2014 5:44 p.m.

Wait until you get to the Flame Lurker ;D
  • Moondoggie1157 - January 29, 2014 5:47 p.m.

Oh I kicked his ass on my second try :P again, with the help of my new summon knowledge haha doing a melee build, and apparently adjudicator is weak to magic... Great haha so yea, just gonna get a group of summons and woop his fat ass :D
  • GOD - January 29, 2014 9:22 p.m.

Flame Lurker looked terrifying but was super easy for me.... on the other hand, the king that steals souls and delevels me.... I can't handle that kind of pressure, or rather, it makes me prefer to just bow out.
  • Moondoggie1157 - January 30, 2014 7:07 a.m.

Yea... I met the king once... Dont quite have the brass to beat him yet though. He beat me like a red-headed step child. Also, the final Robotnik boss in Sonic 4 episode 2. I understand that it's not a crazy difficult battle, but I just can't land the final hit on the bastard.
  • Sy87 - January 29, 2014 5 p.m.

Nice article Lucas. Yeah I like challenge but when its just cheap gimmicks than f that game. One more reason I think the endings to games are going down the drain. Lately it seems that devs feel the need to just the ending battle up or make all the tactics you learn throughout the game mean nothing to the final battle. I can understand difficult but I dont get cheap. If its just cheap difficulty than I will cheat or just plain drop the game. I will be getting my tickers death watch soon and I will always point to it when I get a crappy game. I don't got time for this im moving on.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 29, 2014 9:32 p.m.

Thanks! And oh dang--those watches look like no joke lol
  • Sy87 - January 29, 2014 9:35 p.m.

Yeah, I got it for just why not as giggles, but now after reading studies I kinda wonder. Oh well I will see. I may just be even more aggressive because of it. I hope not.
  • universaltofu - January 29, 2014 4:17 p.m.

Quitters never win :p Good article though, I can appreciate a good challenge (castlevania - deliberate jump arc and enemy placement), not needlessly difficult, perfection demanding, unrewarding, unfulfilling, have to beat the entire thing in one sitting nonsense. The difficulty needs to be part of the games design, not artificially there to impede the player for it's own sake.
  • shawksta - January 29, 2014 4:09 p.m.

I agree lucas, there are a ton of games that do this but even when you do give up you still feel satisfied enough and its no use pushing yourself if you know you cant do it and had enough. However it sure as hell feel awesome when you finally overcome it just for the sake of yourself. Just today actually i finally completed the Rolling Coater Galaxy's 100 purple coins, for 3 years i had to live with the fact that i cheated and got Rosalina to help me get the star with the only scar is the fact that its a bronze star. But i did it and it felt glorious.