Topics

CommunityQs

• CitizenWolfie - September 6, 2013 1:04 a.m.

I hate to use the example given in the article but it was the one I thought of from reading the title alone: Shadow of the Colossus. I feel like far more games should have used SOTC as inspiration by now. The sense of eerie isolation in between battles, the great world design and physical clues to the history and story of the Forbidden Lands instead of finding endless collectables, the beautifully understated story that's told through your actions and minimal cutscenes. And that's just before you even think about the battles. The Legend of Zelda in particular would benefit hugely from ripping off the gameplay of SOTC. You could still have the side quests and main story and keep it in the same setting, but imagine Hyrule sprawling a huge, seamless map that you could ride Epona on, mountains you could physically climb up (not follow a path I mean), enormous caverns and temples to explore and last but not least, HUGE bosses that you'd have to climb on or figure out how to damage. I mean, just imagine trekking your way up through the Death Mountain volcano making death-defying platform leaps, vertical challenges and traditional puzzle solving to get the Boss Key and make your way to the summit. You step out onto the windy mountain side to see the dark silhouette of Volvagia soaring above - your final challenge. You use the traditional dungeon-found items to attract his attention, he banks around and swoops towards you, spewing flames as he does. You dodge before making a leap of faith to grab onto a loose scale and climb onto his body as he shoots back into the sky. If Team ICO ever goes under, I'd love it if they joined Nintendo.
  • shawksta - September 6, 2013 10:36 a.m.

There has been word of the new Zelda doing changes to the formula like "changing the order of dungeons" and even rumors of it taking inspiration from Skyrim.
  • CitizenWolfie - September 6, 2013 10:52 a.m.

I hope it doesn't become like Skyrim. I tried putting a lot of time into it but I found almost every quest to consist of: - Go to Cave/Tomb in a cave/Hideout in a cave/Secret grotto that leads to a cave - Kill Zombie vikings - Learn part of a shout - Hack away at larger Zombie viking boss - Secret door to leave I honestly liked what they tried to do with the Skyward Sword dungeons. I think they did a good job of making you feel like the first person to step foot in those temples for centuries and the boss battles were a marked improvement.
  • shawksta - September 6, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Yeah, that's why its only rumors, the list of what aunoma is considering is dunegons being in order and "playing alone" but we don't know much for now. And I agree with Skyward Sword, it was crazy and neat, and eh, some were iffy, but no doubt Koloktoss is by far a contender for one of the best boss battles of all time, at least top 3.
  • shawksta - September 6, 2013 11:18 a.m.

Best Zelda bosses of all time I mean :P
  • db1331 - September 6, 2013 12:14 p.m.

Was he the giant squid/octopus guy on the pirate ship? That was easily the highpoint of the game for me. Walking into the boss room and settling in for your average boss fight, then realizing you have to run back up to the deck of the ship while it is collapsing around you...
  • shawksta - September 6, 2013 1 p.m.

I'm talking about the Golden Robot automaton everything to its design, its attacks and how the battle was set up was fantastic, and the second half a massive highlight with utterly destroying the living crap out of it with his own giant sword only to have it die with that creepy as laugh. The giant Squid/Octopus Tentalus was great as well, as well as pushed by the awesome fact that the 5th dungeon in a goddamn Pirate Ship, and that set up was also amazing how the entire goddamn ship is being ruined the while escape moment, easily the best setting of a Zelda boss yet. My only gripe is just how off Tentalus's actual design is, but it only got to me after the experience was done. Since I'm already talking, I might as well say it, the Miniboss in said Pirate Shit, was amazing in both the battle and the concept. Being the robot pirate who stole skippers ship, and yet all these years have passed, while everything else is literally dead unless near a timshift stone, this guy was still functional and in form and didn't need a time shift stone.
  • db1331 - September 6, 2013 1:03 p.m.

Yeah the pirate ship was easily the best dungeon in SS, just because it was so off the wall. The same way the Yeti House was my favorite dungeon in TP, and I normally HATE ice levels.
  • shawksta - September 6, 2013 4:15 p.m.

Coincidentally they were both the 5th dungeon of their respective games. Here's to the next Zelda having an off the wall dungeon as those two.
  • almostnot - September 6, 2013 12:17 a.m.

Interacting with the scenery a la PowerStone. Sleeping Dogs did a good job of adding this in, the Yakuza series has a few moments of it too and Injustice made some nods but I'd like to see a lot more. Swinging round lamp-posts to kick an enemy in the face, jumping off a park bench to get extra height before dropping onto an enemy or Sparta-kicking some fool through a shop front window. In the next few weeks, as GTA5 is released and everyone blows their load saying that it has *EVERYTHING* you could ever want in a game. I bet your boots this won't be there and it would be a better game if it was.
  • shawksta - September 5, 2013 11:03 p.m.

My brother says the exploration sandbox from Skyrim, others try but they usually are stale and dont come close. As for me, its hard to say, i actually WANT a series to be as convoluted and Divided as the Zelda series. The major games being entirely different time and concept that ends up getting its own fanbase to argue to the other Zelda fanbases :P Also, we need more investigation games that wont bore me to death, Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick being the only ones and they are made by the same guy :P
  • CitizenWolfie - September 6, 2013 12:43 a.m.

I know what you mean dude. I love the fact that there can be huge debates on whether or not the Temple in the Sky from Twilight Princess is the ruins of Skyloft from Skyward Sword or whether the boss in TP Arbiter's Grounds temple is the skeleton of Volvagia from OoT. But then again, not every series has over 25 years of history to draw from.
  • shawksta - September 6, 2013 2:24 a.m.

Exactly 25 Goddamn years
  • CitizenWolfie - September 6, 2013 3:01 a.m.

I was hoping Team ICO would be the natural successors (since Ico roughly follows on many centuries after SOTC) but a two-game output in 12 years isn't looking too good right now.
  • wcwwolf - September 5, 2013 7:48 p.m.

Psychic Force 2012. I only played it on the Dreamcast but I just don't see how it wasn't the future of all 2D fighting games. Characters free-flying in 2D, completely aimable projectiles (start anywhere to do your quarter circle, where you end it is the direction it fires), and a Dragon Ball Z style of cast of characters.
  • Slayer11496 - September 5, 2013 7:48 p.m.

Dead Rising. It offered a big map with tons of things to see across multiple playthrough with multiple endings and very fun achievements. What's not to love?
  • sephex - September 6, 2013 5:18 a.m.

Same here.
  • ZeeCaptain - September 5, 2013 7:40 p.m.

WARNING *The following message contains "Sarcasm"* I think more people should rip off MineCraft, there aren't enough of those. *Sarcasm ends here*
  • vermicelli - September 5, 2013 7:34 p.m.

Saints Row The Third, Saints Row IV....
  • taokaka - September 5, 2013 6:09 p.m.

I think more 3ds games should look at the world ends with you for inspiration on how to use the touchscreen instead of avoiding it like the plague for some reason. TWEWY managed to create an incredible combat system by which worked by having each attack type using different motions such as slash upwards, rapidly tap, blow into mic etc and this allowed Neku to have a wide array of unique attacks at his disposal and in my opinion this allowed TWEWY to have the best action combat out of any portable game, ever. Any game which wants to have multiple endings should look to 999 for inspiration on how to pull this off, normally I complete a game once and watch the other endings on youtube but not 999. There were several different paths you could take and each one provided you with more information on the setting and characters and once you had completed a specific ending you could go after the true ending. Each play through wasn't monotonous because you could easily skip through large chunks of story you had already seen. Military FPS's should look towards the original ghost recon games, They gave you an objective marker on a big openworld level and it was up to you to plan your attack, you could also command a secondary team around to add to the tactical element. While I don't think an arcadey shooter like COD should look towards GR for inspiration I do believe something like battlefield's campaign should.
  • CitizenWolfie - September 6, 2013 1:13 a.m.

To be fair, Far Cry 2 and 3 have both gone a long way towards your last idea. The main story missions usually have mission parameters to complete but everything else is left up to you.
  • n00b - September 5, 2013 5:13 p.m.

When ever a developer sets out to make a hack n slash/ beat em up they always pull from god of war and I find god of war's combat shallow to adequate so i wish they would pull more from Bayonetta/Devil May Cry
  • simplethunder - September 5, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Steel Battalion. Immersive mech sim with customized hardware. A home game that beat the pants off dedicated Mechwarrior pods at arcades.