Topics

Best of GR

• imagremlin - April 4, 2013 2:25 p.m.

Elder here, leaning a bit to grandparent. I do remember when the pong machines came along, but was too young to care. My first system was an Atari 2600.
  • mafyooz - April 4, 2013 2:01 p.m.

Gaming Elder :) I also remember having to dick about adjusting the volume, bass and treble settings on tape players for about half an hour to get games to load. And when gaming magazines didn't have reviews, but pages of raw code for you to physically type in to create the game. Happy days....
  • winner2 - April 4, 2013 1:57 p.m.

I guess I'm a gaming teenager. First console was the n64 and then I got a psx when I was...4? Spyro, croc, digimon world, pokemon stadium, and paper mario were all I needed. But wow, the toddler is spot on.
  • shawksta - April 4, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Gaming Grown up it seems growing up with the SNES though i know some things from Grandparent so a little bits from here and there. Nice little test
  • CitizenWolfie - April 4, 2013 1:36 p.m.

Gaming Elder for me, although equal amount in Gaming Grown Up category. Does that make me a Middle Aged Gamer? God, I feel old. The pencil/cassette made me smile.
  • J-Fid - April 4, 2013 1:33 p.m.

Funny article, but you could have just asked "What year did you start playing games?" I received my GBC in 1998, and been playing video games since. As a little kid, it was the end of the 5th Generation (which was not covered in this article, explaining why I can't label myself as any of these), and the beginning of the 6th Generation. I prefer physical copies of my games, don't need an internet connection to enjoy my games, and have no problems blowing on Game Boy cartridges to make them work. So that's where I start.
  • J-Fid - April 4, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Totally forgot my family had an NES when I was real little. Didn't have many games on it, and by the time I understood what it was and really wanted to play it, my parents had sold it. I did, not too long ago, find a bunch of old handbooks from the console, including a retro R.O.B. poster.
  • knightlife - April 4, 2013 1:32 p.m.

My first video games were the arcade cabinets and pinball machines at the bowling alley. I remember when Pac Man was a big deal. That puts me near the Grandpa Zone..
  • zymn - April 4, 2013 1:31 p.m.

I'm midway between gaming teenager and gaming grown up. I also loved the Dreamcast thank you very much. Just was too poor to own one.
  • ericleroi - April 4, 2013 1:31 p.m.

I'm a gaming grandparent. Played my first computer games on a Commodore PET. Had a Sinclair ZX81 when they first came out and started to write my first game. I had high hopes for my Space Invaders clone ... sadly it never worked out. With my aspirations lowered, I came up with my first game which made use of the RND command. Penis Racing was fun for about 10 mins ... True story.
  • thomas-gonzales - April 4, 2013 1:17 p.m.

Fittingly, for my age, I am a gaming grown up. I started playing Mario on NES when I was around 2-3. We picked up every console since the SNES, and I look forward to many more years. I did get a lot of the elder gamer generations "values" as I had many older relatives who played.
  • Batman - April 4, 2013 1:06 p.m.

I'm a Gaming Elder however , I did play an atari tho , but was my mother's not mine.
  • Helios - April 4, 2013 12:18 p.m.

I am a teenager who is almost a grown-up.
  • DaveGoose - April 4, 2013 1:26 p.m.

I am in the same boat as you!
  • Redeater - April 4, 2013 12:10 p.m.

As a gaming elder I got to play the best game ever made (Mario 3) before I was 10 years old. I wouldn't have had it any other way! It's funny hearing people my age talking about how most of them almost gave up on gaming around 1996-2000's. At the time I always chalked it up to "maturity" but looking back on it......it was just the multitude of colossally shitty games. (I'm not saying there weren't some gems but going from gorgeous 2D games to ugly, badly animated polygons was not very pleasant)
  • jasoncarter - April 4, 2013 12:06 p.m.

Gaming elder. I remember back in the day, I was four playing the first final fantasy with my mother helping me along, we beat it. Still prefer old games to newer ones for the most part.
  • Redeater - April 4, 2013 12:16 p.m.

Whenever FF1 is released on a new platform I always replay it. It's quite relaxing grinding Giants in the earth cave and the Evil Eye in the ice cave.
  • 7-D - April 4, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Oh boy. I remember some of those archaic "anti-piracy" methods back from the Amiga days; big thick books full of thousands and thousands of random numbers where you had to look up a certain code, strange red strips of see through plastic you held over a chart, a printed map that would guide you through a certain key section of the game (without it you couldn't progress) and yes that anti piracy spinning wheel things (slide 24). I really wish I still had some of this stuff actually.. the kids today wouldn't believe it. I wonder if there's a video-game museum that has an exhibit of this stuff?
  • CitizenWolfie - April 4, 2013 1:39 p.m.

I remember those! I was only young at the time and I remember my Mum and Dad faffing around with those red plastic strips and those huge manuals as if it was some sort of ancient treasure map.
  • ultimatepunchrod - April 4, 2013 noon

I fall between grown up and elder. Played a ton of Genesis and NES when I was younger because my mom hates games and won't buy them for us (seriously, I asked her to help pay for a PS4 for my college graduation gift this year and she told me "no" flat out), so I ended up getting a lot of hand-me-downs from cousins and my oldest brother who had moved out. In effect, I was always a generation behind which was fine with me because I ended up getting a lot of the best games for each system because those were the ones my family members held on to when they gave them to me. Of course, friends always had the newest consoles, so I was able to have an idea of what was going on in the game world. It's only with last gen that I got with the times and got a PS3 and a 360.