Topics

Best of GR

• masterjoe123 - April 4, 2013 2:33 p.m.

As someone who grew up with PC games, I really don't know where I fall. Probably between teenager and adult.
  • MrXLiebezeit - April 4, 2013 8:01 p.m.

No, we PC gamer's are immortal. We don't fit anywhere, yet we are everywhere. And I mean a true PC gamer, not someone who plays TF2, or just console ports...; P.C... er P.S. I'm not saying PC is superior, it's just that it is the system I am closest too, as before I had a game console, I always had a PC. Rollercoaster Tycoon all the way baby!
  • SUCKxITxEZ - April 4, 2013 11:20 p.m.

Omg i have to get me another copy of roller coaster tycoon now. Ever play ThemePark?
  • Rhymenocerous - April 5, 2013 8:02 a.m.

Yep, and Theme Hospital.
  • SUCKxITxEZ - April 5, 2013 10:28 p.m.

I was thinkin about getting that also. how does it compare to themepark?
  • Rhymenocerous - April 6, 2013 3:45 a.m.

It's pretty good, still has the sense of humour. However, building a pharmacy doesn't allow for the same level of creativity (or excitement) as testing your new-fangled roller coaster. Still a decent game though - with certain levels of customisation you don't get much these days e.g you can choose what items go in the staff room, and how often the doctors and workers attend etc.
  • SUCKxITxEZ - April 6, 2013 1:45 p.m.

Sounds cool, i've been looking for a deeper, less action-packed sim recently and this sounds like it fits. Do you know if the ps1 port is worth getting? i'm pretty sure its on psn.
  • Rhymenocerous - April 8, 2013 8:45 a.m.

Yes it is - in fact that's the version I played... Think it came out around '98. Also, you should look into a game called Constructor - also on PS1. That's very deep and complex though, and also very funny in a British sorta way. Not sure if that's on PSN though.
  • SUCKxITxEZ - April 9, 2013 12:27 a.m.

Really wish they would put Team Buddies on there. The pal version.
  • imagremlin - April 4, 2013 2:25 p.m.

Elder here, leaning a bit to grandparent. I do remember when the pong machines came along, but was too young to care. My first system was an Atari 2600.
  • mafyooz - April 4, 2013 2:01 p.m.

Gaming Elder :) I also remember having to dick about adjusting the volume, bass and treble settings on tape players for about half an hour to get games to load. And when gaming magazines didn't have reviews, but pages of raw code for you to physically type in to create the game. Happy days....
  • winner2 - April 4, 2013 1:57 p.m.

I guess I'm a gaming teenager. First console was the n64 and then I got a psx when I was...4? Spyro, croc, digimon world, pokemon stadium, and paper mario were all I needed. But wow, the toddler is spot on.
  • shawksta - April 4, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Gaming Grown up it seems growing up with the SNES though i know some things from Grandparent so a little bits from here and there. Nice little test
  • CitizenWolfie - April 4, 2013 1:36 p.m.

Gaming Elder for me, although equal amount in Gaming Grown Up category. Does that make me a Middle Aged Gamer? God, I feel old. The pencil/cassette made me smile.
  • J-Fid - April 4, 2013 1:33 p.m.

Funny article, but you could have just asked "What year did you start playing games?" I received my GBC in 1998, and been playing video games since. As a little kid, it was the end of the 5th Generation (which was not covered in this article, explaining why I can't label myself as any of these), and the beginning of the 6th Generation. I prefer physical copies of my games, don't need an internet connection to enjoy my games, and have no problems blowing on Game Boy cartridges to make them work. So that's where I start.
  • J-Fid - April 4, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Totally forgot my family had an NES when I was real little. Didn't have many games on it, and by the time I understood what it was and really wanted to play it, my parents had sold it. I did, not too long ago, find a bunch of old handbooks from the console, including a retro R.O.B. poster.
  • knightlife - April 4, 2013 1:32 p.m.

My first video games were the arcade cabinets and pinball machines at the bowling alley. I remember when Pac Man was a big deal. That puts me near the Grandpa Zone..
  • zymn - April 4, 2013 1:31 p.m.

I'm midway between gaming teenager and gaming grown up. I also loved the Dreamcast thank you very much. Just was too poor to own one.
  • ericleroi - April 4, 2013 1:31 p.m.

I'm a gaming grandparent. Played my first computer games on a Commodore PET. Had a Sinclair ZX81 when they first came out and started to write my first game. I had high hopes for my Space Invaders clone ... sadly it never worked out. With my aspirations lowered, I came up with my first game which made use of the RND command. Penis Racing was fun for about 10 mins ... True story.
  • thomas-gonzales - April 4, 2013 1:17 p.m.

Fittingly, for my age, I am a gaming grown up. I started playing Mario on NES when I was around 2-3. We picked up every console since the SNES, and I look forward to many more years. I did get a lot of the elder gamer generations "values" as I had many older relatives who played.
  • Batman - April 4, 2013 1:06 p.m.

I'm a Gaming Elder however , I did play an atari tho , but was my mother's not mine.
  • Helios - April 4, 2013 12:18 p.m.

I am a teenager who is almost a grown-up.
  • DaveGoose - April 4, 2013 1:26 p.m.

I am in the same boat as you!
  • Redeater - April 4, 2013 12:10 p.m.

As a gaming elder I got to play the best game ever made (Mario 3) before I was 10 years old. I wouldn't have had it any other way! It's funny hearing people my age talking about how most of them almost gave up on gaming around 1996-2000's. At the time I always chalked it up to "maturity" but looking back on it......it was just the multitude of colossally shitty games. (I'm not saying there weren't some gems but going from gorgeous 2D games to ugly, badly animated polygons was not very pleasant)
  • jasoncarter - April 4, 2013 12:06 p.m.

Gaming elder. I remember back in the day, I was four playing the first final fantasy with my mother helping me along, we beat it. Still prefer old games to newer ones for the most part.
  • Redeater - April 4, 2013 12:16 p.m.

Whenever FF1 is released on a new platform I always replay it. It's quite relaxing grinding Giants in the earth cave and the Evil Eye in the ice cave.
  • 7-D - April 4, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Oh boy. I remember some of those archaic "anti-piracy" methods back from the Amiga days; big thick books full of thousands and thousands of random numbers where you had to look up a certain code, strange red strips of see through plastic you held over a chart, a printed map that would guide you through a certain key section of the game (without it you couldn't progress) and yes that anti piracy spinning wheel things (slide 24). I really wish I still had some of this stuff actually.. the kids today wouldn't believe it. I wonder if there's a video-game museum that has an exhibit of this stuff?