Topics

Best of GR

We Recommend

• knightlife - April 4, 2013 1:32 p.m.

My first video games were the arcade cabinets and pinball machines at the bowling alley. I remember when Pac Man was a big deal. That puts me near the Grandpa Zone..
  • zymn - April 4, 2013 1:31 p.m.

I'm midway between gaming teenager and gaming grown up. I also loved the Dreamcast thank you very much. Just was too poor to own one.
  • ericleroi - April 4, 2013 1:31 p.m.

I'm a gaming grandparent. Played my first computer games on a Commodore PET. Had a Sinclair ZX81 when they first came out and started to write my first game. I had high hopes for my Space Invaders clone ... sadly it never worked out. With my aspirations lowered, I came up with my first game which made use of the RND command. Penis Racing was fun for about 10 mins ... True story.
  • thomas-gonzales - April 4, 2013 1:17 p.m.

Fittingly, for my age, I am a gaming grown up. I started playing Mario on NES when I was around 2-3. We picked up every console since the SNES, and I look forward to many more years. I did get a lot of the elder gamer generations "values" as I had many older relatives who played.
  • Batman - April 4, 2013 1:06 p.m.

I'm a Gaming Elder however , I did play an atari tho , but was my mother's not mine.
  • Helios - April 4, 2013 12:18 p.m.

I am a teenager who is almost a grown-up.
  • DaveGoose - April 4, 2013 1:26 p.m.

I am in the same boat as you!
  • Redeater - April 4, 2013 12:10 p.m.

As a gaming elder I got to play the best game ever made (Mario 3) before I was 10 years old. I wouldn't have had it any other way! It's funny hearing people my age talking about how most of them almost gave up on gaming around 1996-2000's. At the time I always chalked it up to "maturity" but looking back on it......it was just the multitude of colossally shitty games. (I'm not saying there weren't some gems but going from gorgeous 2D games to ugly, badly animated polygons was not very pleasant)
  • jasoncarter - April 4, 2013 12:06 p.m.

Gaming elder. I remember back in the day, I was four playing the first final fantasy with my mother helping me along, we beat it. Still prefer old games to newer ones for the most part.
  • Redeater - April 4, 2013 12:16 p.m.

Whenever FF1 is released on a new platform I always replay it. It's quite relaxing grinding Giants in the earth cave and the Evil Eye in the ice cave.
  • 7-D - April 4, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Oh boy. I remember some of those archaic "anti-piracy" methods back from the Amiga days; big thick books full of thousands and thousands of random numbers where you had to look up a certain code, strange red strips of see through plastic you held over a chart, a printed map that would guide you through a certain key section of the game (without it you couldn't progress) and yes that anti piracy spinning wheel things (slide 24). I really wish I still had some of this stuff actually.. the kids today wouldn't believe it. I wonder if there's a video-game museum that has an exhibit of this stuff?
  • CitizenWolfie - April 4, 2013 1:39 p.m.

I remember those! I was only young at the time and I remember my Mum and Dad faffing around with those red plastic strips and those huge manuals as if it was some sort of ancient treasure map.
  • ultimatepunchrod - April 4, 2013 noon

I fall between grown up and elder. Played a ton of Genesis and NES when I was younger because my mom hates games and won't buy them for us (seriously, I asked her to help pay for a PS4 for my college graduation gift this year and she told me "no" flat out), so I ended up getting a lot of hand-me-downs from cousins and my oldest brother who had moved out. In effect, I was always a generation behind which was fine with me because I ended up getting a lot of the best games for each system because those were the ones my family members held on to when they gave them to me. Of course, friends always had the newest consoles, so I was able to have an idea of what was going on in the game world. It's only with last gen that I got with the times and got a PS3 and a 360.
  • BladedFalcon - April 4, 2013 11:44 a.m.

Considering the first console I truly grew up with and learned to appreciate was a SNES, I guess I fall into A gaming Grown-up, but I'm also pretty familiar with a lot of what made up the elder generation... so a mix in between I guess? And yeah, just reading the facts of the gaming toddler era made me cringe... It's true, we really become curmudgeon and overly nostalgic with age >>; Kids these days bah bah and such.
  • slimjim441 - April 4, 2013 11:37 a.m.

Gaming Elder. Woot. Those Gaming Toddler stats are really depressingly true...
  • Redeater - April 4, 2013 12:12 p.m.

Your avatar says it all my friend. It's even more depressing when you consider kids these days might only know MM from.....wait.....they probably don't even know about him at all!!!
  • BladedFalcon - April 4, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Street Fighter VS Tekken! :DDDDD
  • slimjim441 - April 5, 2013 11:30 a.m.

If you can really call him Mega Man. I mean, he's kind of more 'Mega Man' than Mega Man, but he's totally not Mega Man.
  • rxb - April 4, 2013 11:28 a.m.

I played games on cassette tapes, so Im an elder.
  • kyuubi85 - April 4, 2013 11:26 a.m.

I´m an elder, I specially identify with #27, Mario 64 is NOT retro god dammed!