• Aletheon - May 30, 2011 6:08 p.m.

Metroid Other M wasn't offensive at all. To show emotion and fear temporarily and then overcommit is to be MORE human, not less. The attack on Other M are unwarranted and immature. Grizzled works for some games. Not every game needs "deep" characters. Sexism? Please. This tired old argument is always brought up by limp wristed pansies that don't understand reality and the world they are living in. A female being portrayed as a flat chested boy looking girl doesn't make that character automatically better than a female that has curves. Get over yourselves. Life includes all kinds, and it's equally discriminatory and "sexist" to single out women that actually look like women as being offensive.
  • CitizenThom - May 30, 2011 5:52 p.m.

Isn't there an inherent contradiction in saying that you don't want games to play it too safe with 'mature' content while at the same time demanding that portrayals of women only fit one politically correct definition? Your example from Soul Calibur 4, misses the fact that the character is one of a minority of the female characters in the game. Fighting games don't have a lot of story, but Ivy is the exception among the female characters, and the game has a variety of female characters, the majority of which don't have ZZ+ cup bras. If the same concept were used in more story driven genres, I think that's the ideal. Rather than having one cookie cutter type of female character (be it one restricted to the politically correct model, or one restricted to a pinup correct model), a variety of female characters is what I, as an adult, would like to see more of in video games. Uncharted 2, by simply having two kinds of female characters is a decent start in my opinion. Games won't get better by changing the singular definition of what a woman can be in a video game, but by moving away from having singular definitions in the first place. Adults don't require, nor in the end do they enjoy, political correctness, nor one dimensional female characters, nor for that matter one set of physical attributes on women. Adults are more than interested in seeing a wide variety of snowflakes, rather than being subjected to only getting to see one snowflake design throughout the course of a game.
  • Imgema - May 30, 2011 3:50 p.m.

@Guardian You don't know what you are talking about. The problem with OtherM is not the fact that Samus talks... its WHAT she says. The story is utterly crap, nobody gives a fu*k about the manga except you and some other anime fans, the gameplay is dumbed down for the casual crowd (even the creator himself admitted it), there is no exploration except after the normal ending, the soundtrack is non-existent,and it all feels like a stupid anime space melodrama. In other words it has nothing to do with the classic trilogy or the Primes.
  • BlackElement17 - May 30, 2011 2:56 p.m.

An good list. I'll be sure to quote it when disusing the topic.
  • Darkwun - May 30, 2011 12:27 p.m.

for gods sake GR!!! how many times am i gonna write on ur site only to have my comment disappear! anyway, not to nit pick, but in nearly the same breath u say girls shouldnt just be a guy with a gun... which, if im not mistaken, is very much with samus aran is! the very premise of getting everything in the original was for the "ta-da!" of the big reveal showing she is actually a woman... but then you bag on her because she has a serious flaw while talking about characters needing to be 3D? are you serious? i mean, i get what you're saying, but it's not to say the game is immature because you don't like the angle in which they took samus. the intrigue between samus and adam has always been one that needed deeper development... personally, i would have preferred a kind of best friend "HOOAH!" comradarie between them, but thats not to say she's demeaning to women! look at this way, im a 6'3" 250lb guy but i still have female friends that could give me a run for my money 1 on 1. still, some have daddy/mentor issues, they get all weepy 5 days a month and sure as hell still bore me with sex and the city episodes! so to bag on samus for being human seems futile by design. there are many ways to empower... sure she could be a stone faced hardened soldier, or she could just be a normal girl that happens to overcome her weaknesses and save the universe countless times... its really all a matter of perspective...! just my two pennies :)
  • DryvBy - May 30, 2011 12:22 p.m.

So you want realistic characters in gaming, but don't want a woman who is a ninny? Would we like a cup of ice cold hot coffee too?
  • gilgamesh310 - May 30, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Uncharted really is a very very overrated series. As well as the stupid contrived way enemies are placed in them(inside tombs that the plaer only just discovered the existence of, really) it is also a big culprit of the babying syndrome. It's no better than Enslaved in that regard. In fact it's even worse. You have the game tell you to shoot a lock, even though it's clearly what any player with any shred of intelligence will do, straight away anyway. The platforming in the games is very mediocre as well. The storytelling and graphics in the games are great but that isn't reason enough as to why they deserve such hyperbolic praise.
  • stepjay - May 30, 2011 9:03 a.m.

L,A,Noire?
  • TheSatur9 - May 30, 2011 8:59 a.m.

I believe many of these complaints are tied together. For example if there was less overly simplified mechanics or more mentally stimulating plots in E or T rated games I, as a teenager, would be happy to play fewer M rated games. Just my opinion, btw nice article.
  • Alroos13 - May 30, 2011 4:24 a.m.

Great read and a great article. Can't agree more.
  • santaclouse37 - May 30, 2011 1:30 a.m.

I wholeheartedly agree with every point on this article. This is exactly why Matthew Keast needs to be on TDar more, especially now that the shorter podcast format will allow it.
  • DaMaJaDiZ - May 29, 2011 6:46 p.m.

Good read. Enjoyed it very much.
  • Guardian88 - May 29, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Ok Ive gotta say this. What the f*** is everyone's problem with Metroid Other M?!?! Just because there is more emphasis on story rather than gameplay, everyone has to throw a fit. All you want to see is more of the same shit we've seen since the very first Metroid. Just because Samus starts talking like a human (big surprise!), you throw a f***ing fit. Calm the f*** down and just listen to her story or read the manga, then maybe you'll have some kind of appreciation for the game and the new Samus.
  • ObliqueZombie - May 29, 2011 5:27 p.m.

"... in an ideal industry, it would be pretty darn awesome, wouldn't it?" That comment right there is how society's in Brave New World are dreamt up. And that wouldn't be human. To be honest, this article was an amazing read, an I agree with most of it, but it seemed more critical to video games as whole, and almost as prediction of the absolute downfall of video games. If anything, it was TOO harsh to medium, which is still budding out of its adolescant phase (read as: "OMFG, CALL OF DUTY phase"). Let's be real, most of those things, so long as Call of Duty reigns as king, won't happen--most of the fans are anywhere from 12-17 years old. Hell, I've played with a 9-year-old before. A fucking 9-year-old. But you made A LOT of good points I'd be surprised if developers/admins didn't start thinking about. For one, the online experience void of children. If it wasn't for the snot-nosed, slobbering prepubescants, competitive online games would still be immensely fun. As for hand-holding, God is that annoying. Homefront had a great story, but I could barely finish the damn thing it was so embarrasing. I felt like a small child being told how to drink water. And how is it video games are the only medium NOT funny? I've been wondering that for awhile now. As a final comment (this is pretty breathy), I'll have to disagree and agree with your 3-dimensional characters paragraph. There aren't a whole lot of games that offer such deep characters, but that's probably because games don't offer much time to do so. Like you said, time is precious, but playing a 30-hour campaign just to develop a few characters would reaaalllyy cut into the fun aspect. That's why we rely on other mediums, like books, to do that dirty work. You mentioned Gears of War for having flat characters, but have you read the books? The comic? To be frank, Gears of War has some of the most DYNAMIC and fully-fleshed out characters I have ever, ever seen. If read all of this, I applaud you. In short: great article, if a bit harsh!
  • imsureimnottheonlyone - May 29, 2011 5:22 p.m.

I agree with all of this, and as a female gamer *and* a metroid nerd, I especially agree that I want women that look like me in games...because I'm not a perfect girl and not everyone in a specific universe is. Also Samus in Other M isn't even justifiable, but that's a rant for another day. Characters like The Boss or Tali are ones we need to see more often, women who aren't just "Hey I'm badass, voluptuous, sexy, and I'm a romantic interest!", they're both relatable. The Boss is a role model, and Tali is just kind of like that one really shy adorable girl who was your lab partner in Biology. (Except I'd kill for those curves...) Ideally, a mature game shouldn't be "Zomg bewbs blood lol", it should have to deal with plot matters as well. I understand the need for extremely attractive characters and extreme situations in a game, but they should make sense. Also, as an aspiring writer, I have to agree that characters could be slightly better well written ^_^ for example, after all the time I spent waiting and desiring and obsessing over Other M, it was a huge dissapointment...when they said plot driven Metroid game, I was hoping for the best, but I honestly did not give one shit when Adam died, which was sad because I had high hopes for that... Anyways, amazing article, and sorry for the incoherent rant ^_^
  • BurntToShreds - May 29, 2011 7:46 a.m.

I hate Other M so much for ruining Samus' character. I liked it back when she was just the strong silent badass bounty hunter, and her gender didn't matter; it was her actions that spoke for her, not her gender. The fact that she's a woman doesn't mean anything, because she's still going to shoot missiles at you and escape just in time as your planet blows up. I wish there was more education about the ESRB. More commercials about it, shown during Law and Order, CSI, NCIS, House and all that.
  • BigBrother - May 29, 2011 7:22 a.m.

And this is why I come to Gamesradar. Fantastic article, compelling. Great job Keast.
  • Gob - May 29, 2011 6:59 a.m.

Wouldn't having an 18+ only playlist ostracize people who aren't that old, but are polite, mature, and don't want to be stuck in with the screaming kids? I'm 17, and I hate screaming kids with a passion.
  • Limbo - May 29, 2011 6:26 a.m.

You make good points, but overall I don't really agree with this article. I realize that you said there are exceptions, but it still seems like you think that everyone under 18 must be immature, ignorant, or annoying. I'm only 15 and I try to not group myself with almost anyone in my age group and usually hang around with older and more mature people. You can say that by me saying that I am mature I'm not, but the fact of the matter is that you don't know because you don't know me personally. I'm sorry if I'm overreacting and taking this too personally, which I probably am, but I can't stand being told I am immature for being young or being judged/stereotyped in any other way. On another note, your suggestions should only apply to games that should be mature or more adult. Some games would be better if they took themselves more seriously, while others wouldn't. For example, L.A. Noire is a game that was very mature and that's what made it great, while Bulletstorm is great because it's just plain fun (even though I personally don't like that game, I see its appeal). You probably know that considering you are a games journalist, but I just thought I'd say that anyways. Anyways, sorry for the wall of text, just thought I'd share my opinion. The article itself was an interesting read even though I didn't agree with most of it.
  • SuperMissile01 - May 29, 2011 4:27 a.m.

It's almost like the gaming press is purposefully misreading Other M out of spite.