Topics

spin-off wEiRd

• archnite - January 4, 2013 7:32 p.m.

If this were written 2 months later I'd bet Metal Gear Rising would be on here too. Stealth Espionage Action to Bayonetta-brawler, that's weird.
  • ertywerty - January 4, 2013 8:35 p.m.

Ya i agree...I like how they are changing up the series and are willing to try something new... Going from guns to a sword in this game, yet still keeping it within the metal gear universe.. They could have just had some guy with a sword chopping alot of things and make it like ninja gaiden rip off with a generic story.
  • BladedFalcon - January 5, 2013 10:13 a.m.

Love how you say that as if the series had never used swords before, (hint: they did in MGS2, and with the very same character they are using for MGR) and as if the character in question hadn't evolved to be the perfect fit for this style of game. Just because it's a diferent genre, doesnt make it automatically weird. Specially if the series in question has always presented characters and ideas that would lend themselves to the genre. That, and i dunno if you guys got the memo, but MGR DOES have some ammonut of stalth in it still.
  • 7-D - January 5, 2013 1:20 p.m.

I agree, it doesn't strike me as weird at all - quite natural in-fact. The style of play is suited to the character, so you have the mortal snake with his sneaking stealth (as confrontation can lead to quick death) and then Raiden's hi-octane sword fighting (because this guy can afford to go in full steam). What WOULD have been weird was if Raiden played in a predominantly stealth style like snake. No-one's been promoting this as a "Stealth Espionage" game at all (quite the opposite), so i'm not quite sure where people are getting that from?
  • C.King - January 4, 2013 7:30 p.m.

what games are the characters in the first pick from?
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 7, 2013 9:54 a.m.

Valentine from Guilty Gear 2 is on the left, Solid Snake is on the right.
  • ertywerty - January 4, 2013 7:07 p.m.

It's not technically a spin off but the "New" Spyro series of games that were on the ps2... The reason I consider them spin offs is just because they were so different than the classic Spyro I remembered from the PS1.. That's why I tend to disregard every Spyro game since as being not "Spyro" I remember... Anyone else agree when going from the classic Spyro games compared to the "new" series of Spyro on ps2
  • winner2 - January 4, 2013 8:05 p.m.

Seconded
  • Elgyem - January 4, 2013 7:03 p.m.

No mention of BlayzBloo? A 2-D fighter becoming a chibi arena brawler not weird enough for you? Need I mention the River City spinoffs?
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 7, 2013 9:57 a.m.

True THAT!
  • ertywerty - January 4, 2013 7:03 p.m.

Lol I can remember playing Kingdom hearts Chain of Memories on PS2 and not knowing at the time it was a strategy card game compared to the previous style of gameplay ... That game was definately weird but I got used to it
  • SirNinja - January 4, 2013 4:18 p.m.

No Pokemon Conquest?! That was definitely one of the weirdest. (Weirder still, it actually worked pretty well!)
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - January 5, 2013 1:37 p.m.

HOW COULD WE FORGET? Crap
  • BladedFalcon - January 5, 2013 2:43 p.m.

I don't think pokemon Conquest is that weird of a spinoff- At least, not gameplay-wise. I mean, it's certainly an ODD crossover, such as Tasunoko VS capcom is. But neither is a weird spin-off because the gameplay in such games is a very natural fit to the original franchise. I mean, strategy games as so related and close to RPGs, that they often get paired or confused together, even when they shouldn't >_> (Yes, I'm looking at you GR, treating a strategy game like X-COM as an RPG :P)
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 5, 2013 4:09 p.m.

Have I got an article for you! http://www.gamesradar.com/crossover-games-most-bizarre-shocking/
  • KnightDehumidifier - January 4, 2013 3:04 p.m.

Brutal Legend demo: Action-adventure game Brutal Legend Full Retail Game: RTS
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - January 4, 2013 3:58 p.m.

I just lol'd
  • archnite - January 4, 2013 7:29 p.m.

Nice.
  • BladedFalcon - January 5, 2013 10:18 a.m.

Heh, comment of the weekend!
  • Sentient - January 4, 2013 1:58 p.m.

You forgot Pokemon Snap (or, alternatively, that Nobunaga's Ambition crossover tactics game for the DS.)
  • Tjwoods18 - January 4, 2013 1:52 p.m.

That assassins creed card game was dissapointing, expected to see that listed.
  • Tjwoods18 - January 4, 2013 1:49 p.m.

The Dirge of Cerebus was the best final fantasy I ever played. To some extent, it was the game that got me hooked on the series.
  • SuperNewman - January 4, 2013 1:04 p.m.

What, no Sonic Spinball? Would've thought that would get a mention, if not for its crazy steep difficulty curve alone.