Topics

Top 7

• rainn'sgaydar - February 3, 2014 2:59 p.m.

Couldn't this have been called the Top 7 Games Tom Magrino Will Never Play? I kid. Sort of. 999/VLR and Persona are definitely good entries, but I tried Animal Crossing and still didn't get it. Then again, I'm a friendless schmuck, so that didn't help.
  • BladedFalcon - February 3, 2014 3:49 p.m.

Er... Tom actually loves both Dark Souls AND Persona 4 Golden :P
  • rainn'sgaydar - February 3, 2014 4:26 p.m.

He likes Golden?! I missed that, I guess. Thought he played a few hours and quit. I was mostly kidding though, so all is well
  • ObliqueZombie - February 3, 2014 2:06 p.m.

Goddamn every one of these is a fantastic game. 999 or Virtue's Last Reward in particular blew me out of the water. The storytelling demolished many games I played previously.
  • iamvishnu - February 3, 2014 1:41 p.m.

How about the Ace Attorney series? "Play through a series of games where you have to be a lawyer and go to court" sounds only slightly better than a game called "DMV: The Video Game", but the Ace Attorney games are actually fantastic.
  • runner - February 3, 2014 1:10 p.m.

This may also be the case when gamer try to explain any video game to non-gamer. Since video game is a media that has to be experience to understand. Anyone that doesn't get exposed to it that much will not be able to comprehend it very well.
  • pl4y4h - February 3, 2014 12:59 p.m.

I've been heavy into Papers, Please lately. At first i did think it was a boring TSA job but then the story started unfolding and I started to feel for the other characters (Shout outs to Jorji). Going back in to round up the last 2 achievements I don't have but I would definitely recommend it. Also my attention to detail has improved drastically lol
  • universaltofu - February 3, 2014 12:43 p.m.

Papers Please fills that 'call people on their bullshit' shaped hole in my life, so good. I love when games sound absurd on paper but make all kinds of sense in the moment playing them.
  • JMarsella09 - February 3, 2014 12:33 p.m.

I don't know about Persona 4... Just saying a RPG that stars High schoolers is an interesting enough premise...
  • BladedFalcon - February 3, 2014 1:28 p.m.

Not for anyone that dislikes RPGs or anime. And the thing is, I've noticed that Persona 4 has made even people that typically hate those things to actually LOVE the game, so I'd say there's definitely more to it than your typical JRPG.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - February 3, 2014 12:32 p.m.

Holy shit you guys sound so uninformed about Tropical Freeze that its giving me cancer, no mention of Water Levels? Its more diverse levels like a savanha? No talk about David Wise? Holy shit man, you guys should've had Lucas talk about it, you guys better not give it a bullshit review just talking about Fur Effects and "MUH RETRO DIDN'T MAKE WHAT I WANTED"
  • Jackonomics2.0 - February 3, 2014 12:35 p.m.

Whoops, sorry wrong article, having too many tabs cause me to make these mistakes.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - February 3, 2014 12:43 p.m.

I really wanna know which article that goes to now lolol
  • universaltofu - February 3, 2014 12:52 p.m.

Sounds like he's referring to the last podcast.
  • shawksta - February 3, 2014 6:02 p.m.

It seems the recent podcast, part 2 of the 100 games of 2014 list. He even posts it exactly like here, except there.
  • Sjoeki - February 3, 2014 12:29 p.m.

The Portal games, you have to play them to experience how great they are. People tried to repeat the jokes and insults that were in the game, but that's not the same as GLaDOS making them. They tried to explain the puzzles but they can't give you that amazing feeling when you figure that puzzle out for yourself. Until I got the orange box I never understood what was so special about the compagnion cube. You can't explain those sentry turrets to people who never played the games, or the space core, there is so much in those games that you just can't explain to people who haven't played them, they just don't get it, and that is a shame because they are missing out.
  • Brett35 - February 3, 2014 12:27 p.m.

Surprised to not find deadly premonition on here.
  • Pruman - February 3, 2014 11:59 a.m.

I'm going with Bayonetta. It's about as awkward to watch as the God of War sex minigames. Actually playing it, however, is awesome.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - February 3, 2014 11:52 a.m.

Trying to explain Kingdom Hearts to someone while trying not to get said person thrown off and laugh at you when you just said the word Disney is the cruelest thing ever created.
  • Sjoeki - February 3, 2014 12:34 p.m.

Haha I've been there before. What I do now is first ask if they like final fantasy, if they don't I leave it at that. If they do then there is a pretty good chance that they could be into the KH.
  • BladedFalcon - February 3, 2014 1:17 p.m.

I don't think being related to Disney is at all the problem of the series.