Topics

Top 7

• g1rldraco7 - March 24, 2014 6:36 p.m.

This is why I take the stairs most of the time.
  • winner2 - March 24, 2014 5:15 p.m.

Does infinite's rocket seat technically count as an "elevator"? Or does bioshock' first bathysphere count? You do technically ride it like a normal elevator before that splicer starts ripping into it. That scared the hell out of me.
  • homestar99 - March 24, 2014 6:37 p.m.

I sure hope it counts. The former launching you into this beautiful, but racist, city in the sky. And the latter showing you what kind of hellhole you just put yourself in. Just perfect setups right there.
  • universaltofu - March 24, 2014 7:08 p.m.

I was wondering about that too.
  • brickman409 - March 25, 2014 12:08 a.m.

well there was that one elevator ride shortly after you get off the bathysphere in Bioshock 1 where Atlas gives that epic monologue. I kind of expected that to be mentioned here.
  • roar-nedreb - March 24, 2014 4:40 p.m.

Left 4 dead 2, in the mall
  • universaltofu - March 24, 2014 4:24 p.m.

I remember in Dark Souls when I first came to the elevator, I hesitated for a good five minutes, just like 'where the hell is this thing going to take me, straight up into a spiky ceiling, well not this time!'
  • gilgamesh310 - March 24, 2014 6:38 p.m.

Oh yes. Sen's Fortress. That and the mimic were clearly there as a sadistic form of humour on the developers part. The elevator near the ends of Sands of a Time stands out as a fairly memorable moment. Memorable for all the wrong reasons that is. It's basically the same situation as in Streets of Rage, only the combat is terrible in the game and the process is extremely frustrating.
  • LordZarlon - March 24, 2014 4:01 p.m.

Don't forget another reason why Streets of Rage elevator ride was awesome. It was when you used Axel's special attack. You know the one where the cop car pulls up and shoots a bunch of rockets at the enemies. If you threw an enemy off the elevator and then called on the cop car the camera would pan down and then left to where the car would pull up on the street. As the camera panned down you would see the enemy you threw off of the elevator falling to his death. You wouldn't see him splat but you get the point.
  • soren7550 - March 24, 2014 3:54 p.m.

On #3: Shepard never makes small talk during the elevator rides. It's only your squadmates that engage in it.
  • Child Of Death - March 24, 2014 1:18 p.m.

Sometimes in the F.E.A.R game Alma would show up in the elevator with you and scare the shit out of you.
  • godisanarc - March 24, 2014 1:06 p.m.

Elevator action came out on the NES, it's exclusively where I played it.
  • rainn'sgaydar - March 24, 2014 12:54 p.m.

No light jazz. 0/10
  • GR_TomMagrino - March 24, 2014 3:25 p.m.

Clearly, a missed opportunity.
  • rainn'sgaydar - March 24, 2014 3:34 p.m.

I intended to come back and compliment the list, as it was a fun read.
  • TheGooseinator - March 24, 2014 12:04 p.m.

Does the entrance lift on Zebes in Super Metroid count as an elevator?
  • TheGreyWizard - March 24, 2014 11:35 a.m.

There was also a boss fight inside an elevator in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.
  • ApocolypticChocolate - March 24, 2014 11:16 a.m.

I am quite surprised Dead Space did not make it here. Half the time you were just waiting for a slasher to break out of a vent and kick your ass, and they were also painfully slow too.
  • Vonter - March 24, 2014 12:46 p.m.

Also Prime's elevator rides I think it was the precursor for disguising loading times with them. I also liked that sequence.