• beezn - February 11, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Lilly's path in Katawa Shougo is epic.
  • winner2 - February 11, 2013 3:10 p.m.

I was really hoping to see the last PoP on here. I at least hope i'm not the only one who liked that game.
  • Phatsnake - February 11, 2013 2:46 p.m.

Where's Squall and RInoa? I don't need to mention spoilers involving what happened between them!
  • MattK - February 11, 2013 3:03 p.m.

Disc 1-2 - Squall: "What an annoying girl" or "..." Disc 3 onward - Squall: "AUGH, RINOA, I LOVE YOU!" Not exactly a natural love story. I think Spoony's analysis of the "emo git" is rather spot on.
  • MeanwhileGuy - February 11, 2013 3:08 p.m.

Sir, I wholeheartedly agree. More people should listen to Spoony's opinion.
  • BladedFalcon - February 11, 2013 6 p.m.

We would if he wasn't so fucking annoying.
  • shawksta - February 11, 2013 7:51 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0 Im sorry, i had to
  • Thedigitalg - February 11, 2013 3:21 p.m.

Kind of, the nuances are what makes it. Squall never hates her, he just has abandonment issues and doesn't want to rely on anyone because of Ellone leaving him in the orphanage. This argument is kinda tired. VIII is one of the weakest FFs and there's plenty to pick on, just mostly not this.
  • MeanwhileGuy - February 11, 2013 2:36 p.m.

Great list, glad to see Uncharted on there. Though I have to say; no Mass Effect? I get that the 'canon' choice varies from player to player (Tali in my case), but you can't say the romances weren't really well written. Oh and Tidus? Really? There has never been such a whiny, narcissistic, loathsome douchebag in the history of protagonists, including Squall and XIII's Hope. I was ecstatic when I found out he wasn't in the sequel, and actively made sure I never got the 'perfect' ending, just so he never came back.
  • Redeater - February 11, 2013 2:35 p.m.

Loved the inclusion of Enslaved and the surprising Red Dead.
  • Grivien - February 11, 2013 1:47 p.m.

Eugh, romance. I hate romantic rubbish. I like love, but overly soppy romance sickens me. The relationships in Dragon Age Origins are good. They vary. But most end with them being together. One dlc, the male grey warden can go off into other worlds with Morrighan. The relationship with Lita and Klein in Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana is good.
  • Nick_Pino - February 11, 2013 1:44 p.m.

Solid list Henry! Glad to see FF X getting some love!
  • wampastompa - February 11, 2013 1:43 p.m.

It's told on a really basic level, but I love the Super Meat Boy/ Bandage Girl love story. I really liked the dynamic between Wei Shen and Amanda Cartwright, the first girl you can go on a date with in Sleeping Dogs. Too bad it doesn't last longer than a couple of missions, but it's one of the few video game dates where I actually felt like I was watching two real people interact
  • FierceVoltage - February 11, 2013 1:02 p.m.

Really surprised there wasn't "Shepard and any romance" on the list.
  • zelta38 - February 11, 2013 2:23 p.m.

Maybe it's because there are just so many different options many of which aren't particularly deep and all of which can be two-timed that it would be too contentious and inaccurate to pick just one. In my opinion, the male Shep/Liara romance is the primary one the game's writers and designers focused on throughout the series as the core romance, but I can understand there would be disagreement about that among the fanbase.
  • taokaka - February 11, 2013 1 p.m.

I'm ashamed that despite having bought to the moon last year I still haven't gotten round to playing it. Anyway, some of my favourite romances in gaming come from Blazblue because they're anything but conventional. *spoilers* For example Litchi and Arakune, the former is a highly sexualized, dedicated doctor looking to help the other while the other is a man who has lost his mind and has turned into a blob of black goo. There's the brotherly incestuous love Jin has for his brother Ragna, also the hidden love the eternally youthful, trolling vampire (who looks 13) Rachel has for Ragna and even the rather creepy love Noel, a clone of Ragna's sister has for Ragna (everybody loves Ragna). But nothing tops the love Nu 13 has for Ragna, the events of the first game make her out to be an emotionless machine but at the end when she meets ragna she reveals her true personality, a rather cheery, quirky, girly type and goes over to her lover and the person she shares a soul link with and .............. plunges a sword through hers and the reluctant Ragna's chests. How romantic.
  • LordEvan88 - February 11, 2013 12:56 p.m.

I take issue with the Shadow of the Colossus entry, if only because their relationship is neither stated nor implied. He is simply trying to save the girl, the reasons are not given to us. It is this ambiguity that makes it such a memorable game. I always got the impression she was his sister, I never got a romantic vibe from it.
  • 7-D - February 11, 2013 12:55 p.m.

Where's Volgin and Raikov !?
  • Phatsnake - February 11, 2013 2:45 p.m.

lol good one
  • rainn'sgaydar - February 11, 2013 12:34 p.m.

WHAT ABOUT LINK AND ZELDA??!!!?!??!? Joke. I always think of this article "Sexual Politics of the Mushroom Kingdom" anytime love in video games comes up. (I tried to post the link for everyone but I was classified as spam. Unfortunate.) And sorry to be "that guy," but shouldn't it be "his last colossus" in Wander and Mono's entry? Or am I wrong? I could be wrong. It's happened before...