Topics

Top 7

• MadMan - September 4, 2012 1:37 a.m.

Red Dead Redemption was a huge improvement over Red Dead Revolver.
  • pl4y4h - September 4, 2012 2:54 p.m.

Though technically it isn't a true sequel, more of a successor. Plus revolver wasn't forgettable, that game was the bomb especially multiplayer, each character had a unique item to play with. Sure it had the same title but revolver was more "arcade"-ish (or fantasy really) and centered more around score attack and only had one central hub. Redemption was GTA in the wild west. Both are great games, but the aspects of them that make them good are different
  • UKGNZoidberg1974 - September 4, 2012 12:16 a.m.

No, no no no NO! Killzone 2 was not better than Killzone. They took a tense, atmospheric and deliberately paced shooter that was the original and turned it into yet another CoD wannabe that was boring and tedious. For me, its noting more than an (admittedly brilliant) graphical showcase for the PS3. Resistance 2 was much more fun. As for TimeSplitters, its true the sequel greatly surpassed the original, but as the first was the game I got with my PS2 on launch, it will always occupy a special place in my heart.
  • RandyChimp - September 4, 2012 4:28 a.m.

I remember really liking Killzone. I got it on New Years Eve and finished it by the end of New Years Day after playing it all night when everyone was asleep :) The story was genuinely awesome. Sort of have to agree with you about Killzone 2. It wasn't that it was a COD wannabe, it was just lackluster. The graphics were fantastic, but I can't tell you any story elements, apart from the ending. Killzone 3 was a vast improvement which I must play again at some point.
  • gilgamesh310 - September 4, 2012 6:03 a.m.

Indeed not. Killzone 2 went down the CoD and Gears route and suffered for it. There was no need for it to even have a cover mechanic. It was just technically very impressive. The first game was much more fun.
  • Bloodstorm - September 3, 2012 9:32 p.m.

I genuinely liked Two Worlds. Combat was rather crap, but I found the world 100x more interesting than Oblivion, and the skills more interesting as well. Still need to get Two Worlds 2
  • ThatGamerDude - September 3, 2012 9:09 p.m.

I still want my Just Cause 3. After wasting over a 100 hours on the second one, I'm dying for a third game to blow it away.
  • waitingforCharlietosnap - September 3, 2012 8:47 p.m.

Timesplitters 2 is one of my all time favorite games, nice to see it on this list. I would also agree with Saints Row 2. It's far, far better than SR1.
  • shawksta - September 3, 2012 8:29 p.m.

Great list Red Steel's shehanigans was freaking hilarious, the first one drowned and basically they just went "F*CK THIS, LETS REDO IT RIGHT THIS TIME" just scrapping everything they did in the original and did everything new and what a good game it turned out to be compared to the original.
  • ultimatepunchrod - September 3, 2012 6:27 p.m.

I see this got fast tracked from the cast last week lol. Good list all the same.
  • Crypto140 - September 3, 2012 4:34 p.m.

Uncharted? Jak and Daxter? Sly Cooper? Let's hope The Last Of Us doesn't follow this pattern I just discovered. Don't get me wrong all of these games were good, but their sequals blew our minds.
  • dcobs123 - September 4, 2012 1:18 p.m.

Although the mechanics weren't as good, uc1 was superior to uc2 in gunplay and I liked the leisurely pace. Jak and Daxter was a completely different game than jak 2. Lastly, Sly cooper: Thievious Raccoonus was the most platforming-focused title in the series.
  • tichtat - September 6, 2012 11:41 a.m.

Let's hope it does. Because like you said, those games ARE good. And if Dishonored 2 blows it out of the water because of how good it is, we all win.
  • pl4y4h - September 3, 2012 4 p.m.

Crap shoot here but how bout Def Jam: Fight for NY? That game was a fantastic sequel and idk that many people who remember/played the original.
  • zombi3grim - September 3, 2012 3:53 p.m.

Im gunna go ahead and piss alot of people off, but Final Fantasy VII was LIGHT YEARS better then VI. When I played VI, honestly it was a pretty good RPG for SNES. But it didnt..."wow" me so to say. When VII came out, I was like "Hmmm, first 3D Final Fantasy, first disc based Final Fantasy, first Final Fantasy for Sony's first system, three discs long...lets give it a shot." My god, am I glad I did. From the story to the graphics (for its time) to the dream inducing music. Literally, the game is one of the greatest ever made. I know people like to look cool and call it "overrated". But to me, a little 2D sprite named Kefka had NOTHING on the evil Sephiroth had....
  • Sinosaur - September 3, 2012 4:24 p.m.

I also remember just how excited I was to play Final Fantasy 7, although it was truthfully my first actual FF (I got introduced to the series by the Game Boy FF Legend games). It was incredible at the time, and I'm really glad I played Theatrhythm, because it reminded me of that feeling I'd lost... but it doesn't hold up nearly the same as FFVI does from when I first played it. But favorite games are very personal, so I can certainly respect you opinion. Honestly, FF7's sort of living down all of the extra crap the Square's attached to it, from mediocre games expanding the universe to a movie that's only purpose was selling fan wank, but FF7 itself was utterly amazing when it came out.
  • CrashmanX - September 3, 2012 4:57 p.m.

"a little 2D sprite named Kefka" Well that just threw out the "This isn't about graphics" argument. If we are talking graphics though, you gotta look at when the two games were released in regards to the consoles life span. FFVI didn't come out till later in the SNES's life while FFVII came out relatively early on in the PS1's life. People already knew the max capabilities of the SNES, they were made pretty appearent from the start. While the PS1 had TONS of room to work with and was a developers playground. That's all I have as far as argument though. I haven't fully played through either so I can't judge. Also FFVII wasn't a "Sequel" to FFVI, it was just the next iteration in a series.
  • Redeater - September 3, 2012 5:37 p.m.

"Final Fantasy VII was LIGHT YEARS better then VI" I thought this was the dumbest thing I was going to read.... Until I read " it didnt..."wow" me so to say." and then I thought that was the dumbest thing I was going to read..... Until I read "2D sprite named Kefka had NOTHING on the evil Sephiroth" You are comparing a game a on a SNES cartridge to 3 fucking PS1 CD'S? OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO BE TECHNICALLY BETTER! It didn't wow you??? You do realize that the FUCKING WORLD ENDS IN THAT GAME RIGHT??? As for Kefka.....well opinion is subjective but if you are basing it on the fact that he is 2D instead of a chunky 3D model ......
  • Redeater - September 3, 2012 5:40 p.m.

I look forward to your hilarious explanation as to why Super Mario Galaxy 2 is better than Super Mario 3 and how come Bowser is such a bad ass in that one.
  • zombi3grim - September 3, 2012 9:14 p.m.

It didnt wow me. I played ALOT of RPGs on the SNES back in the day. Chrono Trigger wowed me. Fuck, even Secret of Mana wowed me. FF VI was good. Very good, I enjoyed it. But I played all the Final Fantasies up until that and they never did anything for me. They were good games, but I enjoyed other RPGs more. Until VII. VII just had a way better storyline to me. I like the steampunk vibe and the sci fi atmosphere compared to a medival fantasy one. So thats my opinion on it. Im not going to lower myself to your standards and insult you. Because Im smart enough to know what an opinion is and how other peoples differ from mine. Im VERY well aware of how many people think VI is better then VII. Thats why I put my little disclaimer at the top. Apparently you ignored that and started rage pounding on your keyboard.