Topics

Top 7

• einhazard - September 10, 2012 5:18 p.m.

Through this whole article, I kept thinking 'What, no love for Fulgore?', so thanks for the little pic of him at the end. Killer Instinct was awesome, and people forget that too often.
  • CH3BURASHKA - September 10, 2012 6:36 p.m.

Many a time I've thought, "What, no [insert noun here]?!" and eagerly page through the last entries to confirm that they didn't put in [noun] in their list. As I savour the future ecstasy that I will get from posting an all-caps entry regarding their absent-mindedness in relation to the [noun] I so happened to be thinking of, I notice they put [noun]'s picture in that last panel. I imagine that it is somewhat of a godsend for them, based on the many times the crew has complained about commenters pointing out what they "forgot". Ironically enough, they totally forgot about Fulgo- oh... nevermind. Seriously though, basic fighting-game-mechanics aside, Killer Instinct has some bitchin' characters, both in and out of context. They're inherently cool (fire dudes, ice dudes, Native American dudes... with tomahawks!), and they have decent backgrounds for a fighting game (Jago is just a ninja man... who belongs to some ancient monk tiger clan to... something or other). Also, chicks that transform into neon tigers. Yeah.
  • Elemental - September 10, 2012 5:47 p.m.

Glad my fave character made the list. I have been a Yoshimitsu fan since Tekken 1. Shame that he got stripped of most of his best attacks in Soul Calibur 5. I always look forward to seeing how Yoshi will look in with each new appearance. Unfortunately becoming a Yoshi cosplayer would get very expensive!
  • shawksta - September 10, 2012 5:53 p.m.

Great list, although you made it a bit confusing where it was initially thought you meant most unique and creative fighters but rather this is more on history and first impressions of said original games. Either way, great list, glad to see Killer Instinct on the last page.
  • Violinhero - September 10, 2012 8:20 p.m.

What, no Smash Bros? If you went that route, I might have just stuck with the original... But if you did, I would definitely choose Link as the best character. He is balanced and just fits in perfectly with the whole theme of the game and represents Nintendo well. But for runners up...I'd be inclined to say Fox or DK.
  • lazer59882 - September 10, 2012 8:24 p.m.

whoa. i don't know any of these except ryu and scorpion. i haven't even heard of any of these games. kindof a shame how niche the fighting game scene has gotten since SF2
  • Thedigitalg - September 11, 2012 7:35 a.m.

I think it's probably the complexity of fighting games nowadays. Not many people want to study literally hundreds of different button combinations, and work out which are the best. No longer is button-mashing a viable strategy!
  • Warcloud - September 12, 2012 12:09 p.m.

Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, Darkstalkers, those are all from the SF2 era!
  • Guardian88 - September 11, 2012 1:11 a.m.

Hay...no BlazBlue or Marvel Vs. Capcom? If they were there, I would go with Nu 13/Lamda or Ragna the Bloodedge and Dante. Good list though. I especially like Scorpion and Sol Badguy.
  • ChiChiRocket - September 11, 2012 10:03 a.m.

Jigglypuff. 'Nuff said.
  • n00b - September 11, 2012 2:17 p.m.

this list is too short
  • edward-temblador - September 12, 2012 1:47 p.m.

I'd say chuck norris.... Oh what's that? He's not in any video games? You did hear me say chuck Norris right? Exactly, 1-me 0-everyone else Joking aside, I think Jin shouldve taken yoshi's place, I'm mean come on! A spinning uppercut powered by lightning, that's pretty awesome, or even Paul, a badass biker dude that (takken 3 best move IMO) that cocks back a right straight to the gut that either destroyed you or left you at the brink of defeat
  • shinobishaw - September 18, 2012 8 p.m.

Yoshimitsu is a Ninja (actually space Ninja) & Succubi aren't Vampires they are Demons- this has been your nerd minute!
  • eduardo-murillo - September 30, 2012 2:13 p.m.

1. Ryu 2. Scorpion 3. Kratos (Mortal Kombat, Soulcalibur) 4. Hattori Hanzo (Samurai Shodown) 5. Samus Aran (Super Smash Bros.) 6. Noob Saibot (Mortal Kombat) 7. Morrigan Aensland