Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• Deth65 - April 18, 2014 11:17 a.m.

Rage could be on this list. So much hype and the ending left me saying What the Heck just happened. So much potential and the end of the game felt like it was cut short because of budget or time restraints.
  • Sr_Malo - January 27, 2013 11:15 a.m.

Maybe it's too fresh to resonate, but Homefront will be on this list in the future. read an article on Polygon that explains what happened. Not only did it kill a studio (Kaos), but helped kill a publisher (THQ). Now that's epic.
  • RSQViper - April 18, 2014 11:09 a.m.

THQ killed itself with the uDraw. It could have survived a bad game, but that thing siphoned all of its money and form there they had no way to recoup without getting lucky and releasing a couple blockbuster titles in about a year's time. I also dare say that Homefront wasn't ambitious in any way. And the game sucked hard.
  • wadesmit - April 18, 2014 10:38 p.m.

Homefront could be considered ambitious only in that it wanted to usurp COD's throne. It didn't do anything drastic or different, but it set an impossible task for itself.
  • Martfish - January 27, 2013 3:01 a.m.

Trespasser: Jurassic Park....loved it but it was also complete shit.
  • SixSpeedSamurai - January 26, 2013 6:45 a.m.

Ninja Gaiden 3.
  • marc2k13 - January 26, 2013 5:53 a.m.

I remember a game that would definitely fit into this category, but can't for the life of me remember the name.. The selling point of the game was that it was this massive space war, and you could fight as a soldier on land, then jump into a ship and fight in the air, then fly the ship into space, dock with the mothership and then have massive space battles. Needless to say it didn't do any of those things at all well.
  • metalgatesolid - January 24, 2013 11:15 a.m.

If only Duke Nukem Forever had become Bulletstorm.
  • archnite - January 23, 2013 9:11 p.m.

At the very least Diakatana brought us the glory of Super Fly Johnson. And man was DNF a personal disappointment.
  • Pruman - January 23, 2013 10:11 a.m.

You could add virtually any Peter Molyneux-headed effort if the definition of "flop" includes "unquestioning failure to live up to the hype." However, if commercial failure is a prerequisite, I'd choose DJ Hero as my personal entry. It really mixed things up, literally, in the music game genre, and did some very cool things with the licensed tracks made available for it. Unfortunately, it didn't fulfill a deep-seated musical fantasy like Guitar Hero or Rock Band, and it came out right on the cusp of a total implosion of interest in music games (thanks a lot, Activision). Even a sequel that fixed pretty much everything wrong with the first one couldn't really move the needle, and the series died a fast and ignominous death. Which is a crying shame, since unlike a lot of entries on this list, it is actually a blast to play.
  • Rub3z - January 22, 2013 11:16 p.m.

Okay, dude, John Carter may have flopped in the box office, and I suppose really in the the end it's the bottom line that counts; but it was not bad or at the least not nearly that bad a movie in any sense of the term. Certainly not deserving of mention alongside those other movies. I went to see it with my brother and some friends, and it was very much enjoyable, and other people who also bothered to see the movie agreed and if not were able to give it credit for the entertainment value it certainly did possess. Of course there's always going to be detractors, but I really think one if not its only major failing was in that area I mentioned above... that is, in the box office.
  • The_Tingler - January 22, 2013 11:54 p.m.

Which is exactly the point. It doesn't matter how good it was (and I personally loved it), it was a flop at the box office. Cost loads of money, made very little back. If only the title hadn't been so crap and that 2D showings were nonexistent. My entire family was literally about to see it, but as soon as I told them we could only see it in 3D they all collectively went "nope".
  • LEGOMatrix - January 22, 2013 6:42 p.m.

Really, with all the fuss about how expensive Shenmue was and what a failure it was and how it was screwed by the failure of the Dreamcast... with all that fuss, YOU'D THINK THEY'D RE-RELEASE THE FCKING GAME ON ANOTHER PLATFORM!!!! I would play it on 3DS, or 360, or PS3, and if I get a Wii U I'd happily play it on that.
  • joabbuac - January 22, 2013 3:06 p.m.

Man...one from the ps2 era when i was a younger man - Driver 3
  • The_Tingler - January 22, 2013 8:42 a.m.

AH AH AH (waves finger back and forth)! Duke Nukem Forever, whatever your opinion on the game's quality, was categorically NOT A FLOP. Unfortunately for your Top 7 as I'm sure you had it as No. 1 from the beginning, THE GAME ACTUALLY SOLD WELL. A game, or film, is only a flop if it doesn't make any money. Okay, maybe not 14 years' worth of money, but not enough to call it a "flop".
  • Fadakar - January 22, 2013 12:09 a.m.

How has no one mentioned Fable?
  • The_Tingler - January 22, 2013 8:44 a.m.

Because it was a good game that actually sold well? Even if you don't think it was a good game, it still sold very well, so most definitely not a flop. Read the article title at least before you comment.
  • GAYMER - January 22, 2013 12:03 a.m.

Holly crap, Shenmu was supposed 12 games?!?!