• mertor3190 - December 12, 2009 8:57 a.m.

I just played Metal Gear Online after so long and it still has tons of palyers. Pretty fun also.
  • ironman5 - December 12, 2009 12:13 a.m.

I have to agree. This article is depressing. All it proves is that multiplayer is dying out. If you don't get a chance to play certain games when they come out, you're out of luck. Unless those games are monsters like COD or Halo. And I don't want to just play COD or Halo. Also, good article Tyler.
  • TheCreamFilling - December 11, 2009 11:50 p.m.

This is why multiplayer achievements/trophies should be illegal. Impossible to get if you miss the boat. Also, I wonder how Splinter Cell: Double Agent and F.E.A.R. are doing.
  • DrDevious - December 11, 2009 7:47 p.m.

Lol nice job Tyler. Taking your time to play terrible games for our amusement :) I remember seeing you playing those games and thinking there must be an article because no one would play those games willingly.
  • toastedmilk - December 11, 2009 1:42 p.m.

kane and lynch was really disappointing. it was one of the few multiplayer games i was actually looking forward to, but by the time i got the game (only a few months after release) i found that the few matches i could get into were usually ruined by at least one asshole. also, i've had the darkness since the week it was released and have just now realized that it even has multiplayer.
  • TheWebSwinger13 - December 11, 2009 12:37 p.m.

• phgreat1 - December 11, 2009 8:45 a.m.

@phoenix_wings MGO is still going strong. I was sure Call of Duty 3 would be in here somewhere. The multiplayer sukked balls.
  • BAbaracus1983 - December 11, 2009 8:14 a.m.

Great article; don't forget Unreal Tournament 3 (only populated by bots..).
  • phoenix_wings - December 11, 2009 5:05 a.m.

I'm afraid to go back online and see if Metal Gear Online still has any players. Back when I was working midnights and had a day off, I'd stay up all night to play a game or two. Got pretty good at it too, except I was running into personal rooms (when I didn't auto-match) that consisted of people 'kindly' telling you that it was CQC only. Since there was no real way to enforce the rule, you'd have a bunch of people coming in blasting, and everyone else running around in circles trying to get behind the other player to "ahem...snap their neck?" I wonder how many people are playing Mario Kart Wii online now? Arguably the best multiplayer for the Wii--I don't wanna hear them talk, I just want to see them fail.
  • Cwf2008 - December 11, 2009 3:57 a.m.

"Number of people playing The Darkness, Dark Sector, and Prey online: How many crustaceans have won the Nobel Peace Prize?" Um Al Gore won it i think so thats 1...
  • Romination - December 11, 2009 3:34 a.m.

What's the point of this article? It's not even "worst multiplayer", it's just "old games that nobody is playing, lololol laugh at them for not achieving the longevity of Halo!" Retitle it "Salt in the wound: Multiplayer edition!"
  • Tfish - December 11, 2009 2:40 a.m.

I used to love Shadow run, I thought it deserved all of the praise that bioshock got for being "innovative". I mean how many other shooters let you teleport through a wall to get to the objective faster? In my opinion once you get used to the controls and find a good combination of magic and tech for your personal use it's one of the funnest shooters out there. Well that may be a lie now as the only games I seem to get into now a days are with total ass holes, and not the CoD or Halo assholes but team killing because you captured the objective and won the round before they got to kill the amount of people they wanted.
  • michaelmcc827 - December 11, 2009 2:28 a.m.

One game that had surprisingly strong multiplayer for me was Red Faction: Guerilla. Even though it's not paraded around a lot, I found the experience to be extremely fun, deep and addicting. For that, it'll probably get played beyond the usual life cycle.
  • GameManiac - December 11, 2009 1:16 a.m.

For some reason, as I was reading this article, a thought came to me. This article is foreshadowing the inevitable fate of the whole multiplayer concept. The games that have players stuffed within their multiplayer use are eventually going to die off and make room for the next generation of multiplayer-heavy games. Halo, Call of Duty, etc... They'll ALL eventually die off. To me, this article was the saddest for a gamer, or at least to anyone who thought this same idea as I have.
  • PinkHairSasuke - December 11, 2009 12:36 a.m.

Hmmm....I wonder why I was thinking an anime based fighting game would be included. Excellent listing though
  • Defguru7777 - December 11, 2009 12:23 a.m.

Isn't it a stretch to say Left 4 Dead is a series? It only has two games. One of my personal er games (joke, LOLZ) that I can't find a game for is Overlord. And they expect me to pay five bucks for a map pack that's mostly on the disk? Screw that.
  • mgkyo666 - December 11, 2009 12:19 a.m.

lol i remember when i got my first 360 and it came with a copy of Perfect Dark Zero, I got on Xbox LIVE to play a match and....SURPRISE! nobody was playing it, and this was TWO F****** YEARS AGO!!!
  • nik41507 - December 11, 2009 12:07 a.m.

Good article Tyler A week before Red Alert 3 came out ( Oct 28 last year) I was playing Red Alert 2 and went to see if anyone is online. Surprisingly there was about 10 games going on. Red Alert 2 came in 2000. 8 years later people still played it. Red Alert 3 multilayer is dying in my opinion........
  • garnsr - December 10, 2009 11:21 p.m.

That just leaves er, har har har!
  • lovinmyps3 - December 10, 2009 11:08 p.m.

I actually liked Kane & Lynch's multiplayer, and the game in general. When it first came out there were a good number of people playing and it was a lot of fun. Yeah it did control like shit and the graphics weren't that great but certain aspects worked. It's the definition of mediocre games!