Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• ricono - January 31, 2011 10:41 p.m.

i totally agree with number 1, when i played portal it made me just feel like i was discovering all these cool ways to complete puzels instead of the game telling me how to manipulate the portals to do what i wanted it to do, even though in a way it was.
  • Roflcoptersmileyface - January 31, 2011 10:39 p.m.

good article Charlie, you've made me seen pokemon in a different light :)
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - January 31, 2011 10:35 p.m.

Ooooh, what ventanger said. Very nicely put!
  • juicenpancakes - January 31, 2011 10:35 p.m.

I couldn't agree with #1 more. Portal made me feel like I was an idiot for the longest time, but then when I'd finally figure out the puzzle it was as satisfying as a moment I've had with games in the past few years. Then I could walk away happily feeling like a genius.
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - January 31, 2011 10:34 p.m.

Gabriel Knight has some great puzzles, but nothing that surpasses the puzzles in every other point-and-click adventure game. I love Gabriel Knight more for the story, setting and characters.
  • ventanger - January 31, 2011 10:34 p.m.

Hm. "Adventure puzzle games" like Sam & Max, Hugo's House of Whatever, and yes, even Gabriel Knight are less about testing your own intellectual aptitude and more about adapting your train of thought to what's the most likely outcome schemed up by the designer of the game. Whereas say, Portal presents you with a defined set of rules and a challenge to overcome by using those rules, Adventure puzzle games rarely really set up a concrete foundation with which to solve your predicament. n' shit.
  • inSovietRussiaDatesRecallBrettElston - January 31, 2011 10:30 p.m.

no gabriel knight charlie?