Topics

Top 7

• garnsr - December 15, 2009 4:03 p.m.

Hey, that's a lot of PC games. Are there really no good console games that are based on books?
  • jakeekaj14 - December 15, 2009 5:28 p.m.

harry potter should be their all the games are good exept the 1st
  • hardcore_gamer1990 - December 15, 2009 5:29 p.m.

I really wanna play Parasite Eve now, seems like a narrative that I could really get into. Mind you, I said that with Dark Sector and that was a bit pants, so.... Yeah.
  • hardcore_gamer1990 - December 15, 2009 5:31 p.m.

@jakeekaj : They're based on the films. That's why there's no 7th game out yet. And they're also fairly shite. ReCAPTCHA - frats terday Some sort of celebration?
  • BloodBarrage - December 15, 2009 6:23 p.m.

I Didnt know Rainbow Six was a book before it became a game. Good Guide, I learned something today.
  • onewingedantista - December 15, 2009 7:11 p.m.

I love games, I love books, great article! reCaptcha: Aching CITY City for old people?
  • magicwalnuts0 - December 15, 2009 9:35 p.m.

Too bad Rainbow Six Vegas features regenerating health and cut out the mission planning screen. Thank you consoles, can I have some more dumbed down games? And what really WAS up with those weirding modules, how does ultimate mastery with the blade through peak mental and physical conditioning translate into little black boxes that shoot sonic wave beams at people when you talk into them?
  • ATLAS - December 15, 2009 10:18 p.m.

@Marvarious I would be honored to be indirectly mocked in the podcast.
  • smikey - December 15, 2009 10:33 p.m.

In Dune the full name of the flying machine is Ornithopter. I'm sorry for posting this.
  • darthsmee - December 15, 2009 10:50 p.m.

what about S.T.A.L.K.E.R based on roadside picknick? or Bioshock based on Atlas Shrugged. although on reflection ive read atlas shrugged and there were no giant underwater cities in it, or people high on genetic enhancement, just train lines...
  • lovinmyps3 - December 15, 2009 11:32 p.m.

What a novel idea for a Top 7! XD
  • dante1924 - December 16, 2009 12:02 a.m.

I also heard that in the hitchhiker's game, you need to feed some dog in the beginning of the game, or else you can't beat it. Nice try, game cover, but I think I'll go panic, you grinning, psychotic green planet.
  • FreekinIdiot - December 16, 2009 9:53 a.m.

Lord of the Rings anybody?
  • scipio43 - December 16, 2009 3:45 p.m.

No mention of Dante's Inferno, which is sure to send flecks of old man rage spittle straight into the eyes of Western Lit. students as soon as their professors get wind of it.
  • Christian - December 16, 2009 10:26 p.m.

You're a retard, not that I don't love video games, but books are not linear or non-interactive and they take tons of skill to write, authors can take years to perfect a good book of their own. Not just anyone can write a good book. Books let you imagine the characters an scene for yourself, video games are an image of someone else's imagination, not your own.
  • iluvmyDS - December 17, 2009 4:02 p.m.

This is an extremely good top 7, it has a lot of info and really makes me want to play these games.
  • Mumb00 - December 17, 2009 10:24 p.m.

I'm astounded that 2 games didn't make it on this list. Betrayal at Krondor, based on Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga, was a very good (at-the-time) RPG that had such a strong story that the author ended up novelizing it some years later. Wheel of Time, based on the late Robert Jordan's series of the same name, was an FPS that managed to put a very convincing set of imagery to all sorts of concepts that were difficult to visualize while reaading about them. Since there were a few entries that were either sequels or reimaginings of the original work, surely these 2 deserve a mention since WOT is huge (and tragically unfinished) and Feist is still putting out new stories in that same world which still manage to reference the events of BAK from time to time!
  • Ravenbom - December 18, 2009 9:10 a.m.

@mumb00 - yeah, but the novelization of Betrayal at Krondor was probably his weakest work to date. Good game, and his other novels are fantastic, but the game to novel didn't work for me. Wheel of Time did do a fantastic job of making the books come to life. Not a direct game of any of the books, but still it was nice seeing some of the locations like Shadar Logoth come to life. @carolyn - nice list, hoping to hear you go over it on the podcast.
  • xiceCold12 - December 19, 2009 6:38 a.m.

Could you say any of the James Bond games? I know they we're probably based on the movies, but the movies we're based on books...
  • EnderzArmy - December 19, 2009 4:07 p.m.

I really thought Shadow Complex would have made the list.