Topics

Top 7

• sleepy92ismypsn - May 10, 2010 8:19 p.m.

Wow this was almost as boring as last weeks top 7. The first icarus vent that was in the GOW3 demo was one of my favorite parts in the whole game. i had alot of fun playing the gran turismo hd demo and my ps3 was an '07 christmas present but i have paid $150 to get it refurbished and $175 to get it back after my mom had to sell it to bail me outta jail.
  • crumbdunky - May 10, 2010 8:14 p.m.

How about doing a "Sega's worst current gen deoms!" feature, GR? I can think of a few stinkers off the top of my head and for different reasons too! Sonic Unleashed-for pretending the whole game contasained NO Werehog and just the good Sonic leggy-leggy bits. Misleading as all hell to would be Sonic well wishers. Valkyria Chronicles-For making one of the best, most original games this generation seem as dull as anything ever created. That demo must have put off most of the people who played it. It took my mate REALLY convincing me there was actually something there worth playing after I'd suffered the ennui that demo ensured! Yakuza3(JPSN)-fr teasing western gamers with Japanese accounts for years that they might one day play this great game in it's complete state! Finding out the long wait would bring a game without some of the minigames available IN the demo us series fans already managed to play in said demo was just cruel! I could go on and dig up a few more but, to me, Sega have a current knack for demos that just don't do their job very well. they either make good games look bad, fun games seem dull or crap games seem great as well as promising us things we'll never see in one personally galling case! Best current demo? I thought the Japanese(haven't played the western one though imagine it's the same)MGS:PW demo for PSP. Lots of messing about and makes anyone touching it crave the game massively.
  • johnthe5th - May 10, 2010 8 p.m.

I'm surprised the Just Cause 2 demo isn't on here. That is by far the best demo I have ever played. 30 mins with 35 square miles to do whatever you want in, and then you get to start over again.
  • tomasspipass - May 10, 2010 7:42 p.m.

three more to add: The Silent Hill demo that came with metal gear solid allowed you to play fromt he beginning of the game until half way through the school, that was pretty epic, especially with the piano puzzle included. The original GTA gave a time limit (5 minutes?) to do whatever you wanted on the first map. I played that with friends many a time, we would see who could cause the most destruction :D The original red faction game had a demo that included a room to show off the destructible environment capabilities. The level was just a large box room with a green house structure in the centre yet i spent ages on it. It was possible to carve a tunnel with the rocket launcher into the surrounding rock, creating a tunnel that would lead upwards and above the roof of the main room, and drop onto the top of the greenhouse. fun times..
  • Psylockerules - May 10, 2010 7:42 p.m.

Metal gear solid 2 demo was what the game shouldve been playing snake and killing Olga yeah!
  • CocainCuresAll - May 10, 2010 7:08 p.m.

WTF? What makes any of these better that the Half-Life demo? You know, the one that was essentially its own game. That was kind of a big deal.
  • Phreakout93 - May 10, 2010 6:04 p.m.

bayonetta demo made me buy the game.only time that has ever happened
  • Brutalicus - May 10, 2010 5:16 p.m.

Haha, my early PS1 experience can be summed up in one JamPack demo: EINHANDER. That game kicked my ass so hard I never even finished the demo. I got my hands on the game years later, though.
  • goochbiscuit - May 10, 2010 4:44 p.m.

I still have my copy of ZOE with a copy of the MGS2 demo in it. Played the hell out of that demo, and it still has the best looking rain effects I've ever seen in a game.
  • bluscorp - May 10, 2010 4:32 p.m.

Hey justin, you should do a feature based on the best Betas, like the uncharted MP Beta. P.S. Your song is catchy :)
  • Conman93 - May 10, 2010 4:27 p.m.

If the E3 09 Uncharted 2 demo was released that would probably be on here.That was epic! And the Darksiders one that was pretty generous to give that big a chunk of the game
  • mozl - May 10, 2010 4:26 p.m.

wheres crakedown?
  • LeoZeo - May 10, 2010 4:05 p.m.

My favourite demo was the Force Unleashed demo. Just loved smashing things up. I get addicted to demos quite a lot for some reason (eg. current demo of the month - Fifa World Cup 2010) but I clocked in a good 10 hours on that demo alone. Never got the game though D=
  • 2dboy - May 10, 2010 3:37 p.m.

My favourite is Unreal tournament 2004 demo,it was the longest played demo. Good times.
  • bluscorp - May 10, 2010 3:12 p.m.

I played the MGS2 demo to death. I got mine with the OP2M. That demo is the reason i swaped Monsters inc for it(best thing i ever done). And now I'm a full on mgs fan, because of that demo. Other good demos was just cause 2, splinter cell conviction and MGS3.
  • JNewman - May 10, 2010 2:24 p.m.

The demo for Skies of Arcadia that I got in an issue of Official Dreamcast Magazine remains one of the most complete and wonderful demo packages I've ever experienced. Beats the ever loving shit out of Grandia II, which only got a lame-o movie. Also, I played the demo for Jet Grind Radio (when it was still Jet Set) a gazillion times. Absolutely ADORED it.
  • CARDYKEV - May 10, 2010 1:34 p.m.

I remember playing the original half life and GTA demos to death and i loved the fact the HL demo wasn't actually taken from the game!!
  • ChrisMacDee - May 10, 2010 1:25 p.m.

@Rhymenocerous: Tomb Raider 2 eh? I only played that to lock the butler in the fridge :D When I was wee the Tombi 1 demo was my favorite demo ever, I played that pig-wrestling masterpiece for years but it became stupidly rare and when I did eventually get it, it was let down... because I'd out grown it :( but yeah back on topic, MGS2 was deserving of best demo, namely because it's easily the best bit of the game :D
  • jackburnt - May 10, 2010 1:24 p.m.

Are we talking console only? Then I'd say Fight Night 3 was a great demo. If we're talking PC, then THE BEST demo of all time is BF1942.
  • Rhymenocerous - May 10, 2010 12:45 p.m.

While I also loved the MGS2 demo (which I payed full price for ZOE for), I personally preferred the original MGS demo. I played it so damn much. Also, Tomb Raider 2.