Topics

Top 7

• Schuultz - January 29, 2009 12:41 p.m.

You definitely should have put CoD4 in there. The first mission might not be so creative, but consider it an intro, or an 'in-game' trailer for the experience coming up. The real beginning is the live, interactive execution of YOURSELF! If that isn't amazing and memorable, what is?
  • lava_lamp - January 29, 2009 12:26 a.m.

what about MGS4 that had an awesome beginning hell the whole game was emmersive
  • Jorw - January 28, 2009 3:43 a.m.

I don't think that Chrono Trigger and Half-Life belong on the list.
  • FourMe2PoopOn - January 28, 2009 2:28 a.m.

I love the chrono Trigger intro. I kinda thought the Punisher had a cool intro, but it cant compare to these.
  • tre3 - January 28, 2009 12:41 a.m.

For once i can agree with all of these choices
  • Russianred90 - January 28, 2009 12:19 a.m.

wheres fallout 2 opening monolouge tht was friggin amazing
  • izayuh - January 27, 2009 11:45 p.m.

i knew i would see half life also agree with fallout 3
  • izayuh - January 27, 2009 11:43 p.m.

I KNEW HALF-LIFE AND MGS 2 WOULD BE ON HERE NICE ARTICLE
  • PapaLazarou - January 27, 2009 10:26 p.m.

Final Fantasy 9 opening.
  • sage62 - January 27, 2009 9:30 p.m.

great list and all, but wheres god of war? both of them have absolutely epic beginnings, not 5 minutes in and you're already fighting the Hydra/Colossus, I was expecting it to make this list
  • familiarrealms6 - January 27, 2009 9:23 p.m.

Dudes and ......mabey dudettes; final fantasy 7 should definately be no1.
  • golub - January 27, 2009 8:26 p.m.

I think you should have included God Of War II because it has the best beginning movie and 1. level I've ever seen, I mean, movie starts with you being one of the most powerful gods on Olympus, suddenly you are like a half-god and after about 20-30 min of playing you are killed by the Zeus and sent in the underworld but Gaya saves you and you are about to take revenge.... GoW fans know what I am talking about :)
  • Grenade - January 27, 2009 4:45 p.m.

I thought Fallout 3 had a really corny beginning, not helped by the bad voice acting. The actual first level was pretty lame too.
  • Chiropteran - January 27, 2009 2:45 p.m.

If you're writing fiction, this is called the hook. For a short story, a few lines, no more than a page. For a novel, three or four pages, maybe a short chapter. But the principles are the same. An engaging character or characters whom the readers -- um, players -- care about, a setting and situation that captures the imagination, a problem which almost certainly is not the ultimate problem of the story, or game, and questions about what's going on which can only be answered by playing more. And more. Fiction writers have some understanding of this. Game developers should have more. That they don't is why there are so few memorable openings. I teach this stuff at SF conventions.
  • Sash - January 27, 2009 1:47 p.m.

I read the article title and almostly instantly thought of MOH Frontline. I click second page and there it is. :D
  • The_Tingler - January 27, 2009 12:39 p.m.

I'm sorry, but... FRONTLINE? Don't you mean Allied Assault? Yes, granted, D-Day wasn't at the beginning, but still...
  • Fred - January 27, 2009 10:27 a.m.

Great,I'm waiting for the battle to begin..... ----------------------------- Fred Absolute Self Storage is the best choice for self storage in New Hampshire. First, we bring you the best prices in self storage in New Hampshire. Second, we have both temperature controlled and non-temperature controlled storage units. Third, we have a state of the art security system in place that keeps your storage unit secure and protected, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. [url="http://www.newhampshire-selfstorage.com"]New Hampshire Storage Units[/url]
  • DawgsFan117 - January 27, 2009 6:04 a.m.

I Have to agree with Bioshock. To date it is probably my favorite game on either my PS3 or 360. The whole experience was amazing. Is it time start naming the top ten games of this decade yet. That would be a hard list to write simply because of the massive amount of games to syphon through.
  • Defguru7777 - January 27, 2009 5:37 a.m.

Was Call of Duty 4 even considered. First you train for a routine mission, then, you see some of the best rain effects in gaming. Then, you get fucking shot in the face by some jackass you don't even know. THAT'S a great opening.
  • Blinder - January 27, 2009 4:17 a.m.

Great article. And Medal of Honor:Frontline just had me going WOW!!! I think it paved the way for immersion and storytelling in FPS. I would have picked Rising Sun's opening as a runner up. I was in awe at the detail and accuracy of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Kudos!