• elpurplemonkey - December 18, 2010 10:41 p.m.

An enjoyable list. I can't disagree with Red Dead, as it truly was an incredibly well-realized world and an amazing experience. But while I loved that game- I fell in love with Mass Effect 2 (see what I did there?) The universe was so well-made, the characters so affecting and 'real,' and the gameplay (both the character progression and shooting) was perfect. ME2 is my GOTY (though I forgot to vote) and one of my favorite games of all time- though again, any of the top 3 (ME2, RDR, and Galaxy 2) deserved the award. And I have to disagree with HumorTumor- both of these games have soul.
  • JADENkOTOR - December 18, 2010 9:48 p.m.

@ BishopOfHippo: every single thing you just said is spot on. Felt the exact same way about both.
  • JADENkOTOR - December 18, 2010 9:43 p.m.

Mass Effect 2 is a MASTERPIECE!!! RDR is NOT!!! I liked that you gave Darksiders some love as it was completely overlooked by most of the community. Also, Enslaved had the best cut scenes of any game I can remember... you gotta love Trip. You completely botched GOTY but the rest was pretty good.
  • FinderKeeper - December 18, 2010 9:33 p.m.

Nice touch with the custom Amaterasu Platinum Chalice for the "Die a Beautiful Death" award. OOOOOOKAAAAAAAMIIIIIII!!! ;-)
  • Fonzcorp - December 18, 2010 8:51 p.m.

no <3 for Heavy Rain? you sucks!
  • jesusfrk15 - December 18, 2010 7:50 p.m.

red dead and mass 2 as game of the year. yahhh i accept that :)
  • newgames128 - December 18, 2010 7:37 p.m.

How many people actually thought the difference between FFXIII's in game graphics and cutscenes was "barely noticeable", and that "the environments, character models, textures and animation – is simply unparalleled" and "flawless"? *cough*fanboys?*cough*
  • Felixthecat - December 18, 2010 7:23 p.m.

Too bad SMG2 didn't win GOTY :( Oh well, RDR was a great game. I thought ME2 sucked, but that's just my opinion. Great list as well by the way, GR. This year truly has been a brilliant year for games. I'm off to brace myself for 2011 now...
  • batmanboy11 - December 18, 2010 5:47 p.m.

Great awards. Its funny how the reader's choice was the same as GR's GOTY.
  • fetalspray - December 18, 2010 5:45 p.m.

I loved Red dead Redemption but mass effect 2 should have got game of the year hands down
  • vigilant - December 18, 2010 5:12 p.m.

Heavy Rain??
  • GhostLightning - December 18, 2010 5:10 p.m.

I like ME2 over RDR for GOTY but I'm just happy they gave best graphics and menus to FFXIII. At least one site appreciates that game.
  • obie191970 - December 18, 2010 5:08 p.m.

Great choices and categories. Like a lot of people, my personal choice is ME2, but you can't complain with RDR which was great as well - It's like choosing between Dominus and Caymus.
  • Yeager1122 - December 18, 2010 5:08 p.m.

Really got to get enslaved it sounds so great it was Mass Effect 2 for me though.
  • BishopofHippo93 - December 18, 2010 5:08 p.m.

Red Dead was good, but not that good. I enjoyed it for the first several hours, but then it just slogged on from there. I spent more time riding my horse across the desert (only to have it killed by a stray mountain lion) than anything else and, as beautiful as the scenery was at first, I got tired of it really fast. The length of the campaign was good, but the pacing was terrible. I frequently found myself longing for new areas of the map to explore after riding past the same damn cactus or craggy rock formation 50 times. And the so called "epic story," come on really? It's as generic as westerns get. Also, the side quests were ass. There were maybe two I enjoyed, because all the others made me go all over the damn map to find a flower or some other plant that can only be found in a 10 square foot area! Red Dead was good, but Mass Effect 2 was better in every way. The pacing most of all, let you go wherever you want whenever you want and there was always something else to do. The gameplay simply had more variety, allowing you to spend as much time working your jaw as your trigger finger. The music was nothing less than amazing, with the melodies perfectly timed with the action. Commander Shepard is much moe interesting than John Marston, to boot. Mostly because Marston always plays the loving family man, even after you make him rob a bank then kidnap every woman in town, hogtie them, and lay them on the tracks. Commander Shepard is yours to customize based on your decisions and actions throughout BOTH Mass Effect games. The locales were more varied too. It wasn't the same damn desert all the time, you went to forest planets, city planets, and planets that were destroyed by nuclear war. The voice acting was just a little bit better than Red Dead, and the sheer variety in characters, instead of just a handful, is staggering. This is why Mass Effect 2 is the rightful Game of the Year.
  • JohnnyMaverik - December 18, 2010 4:10 p.m.

Mass Effect > Red Dead
  • GammaGames - December 18, 2010 3:37 p.m.

For teh crack game catagory, i would have picked MineCraft Alpha. Ive spent many MANY hours in that game.
  • TriforcePlayer - December 18, 2010 3:32 p.m.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH THESE WINNERS. GOD BLESS YOU RADAR
  • philipshaw - December 18, 2010 12:38 p.m.

Happy to see RDR won and you put my quote in the article,I'm Kingboruc on twitter btw
  • Superkev45 - December 18, 2010 12:33 p.m.

Right must finally check out enslaved! And totally agree with Red dead getting GOTY