• Seabread - August 19, 2010 12:06 p.m.

I was half expecting a retrospective 'life bars through the ages' but was pleasantly surprised by this. yes; dead space's life bar works brilliantly. yes; Zelda's is the most iconic (and the most annoying) although I am more partial to Doom's. i have but two questions please GR 1. how about No More Heroes takes on the heart meter? 2. can we have more boobz please? that has to be the most innovative way to display health - by having to look at your own ample rack.
  • SausageLozenge - August 19, 2010 12:01 p.m.

I think that vagina's herpes is acting up again.
  • philipshaw - August 19, 2010 11:56 a.m.

Great article. I knew Dead Space would be on this list because it's the only game of this generation that doesn't use regenerating health,but as expected it was all mostly old school games in this list
  • AuthorityFigure - August 19, 2010 11:01 a.m.

id have the most creative and readable with the Sarge head.
  • Clovin64 - August 19, 2010 10:29 a.m.

The health bars in Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are similar to the Zelda ones, in the way that they show how many secret missions you've done and hidden health power ups you've found 'cause thats how you extend your health bar. Having two full Health bars in DMC and Bayonetta is a sign of status and skill (I could never manage it though).
  • jesusfrk15 - August 19, 2010 6:58 a.m.

i thought assassin's creed had a pretty original health bar. synchronyzation, that being you're tied to a computer and all.
  • elpurplemonkey - August 19, 2010 6:28 a.m.

Is it me, or is that some serious chest hair on those boobs? And commenting on the whole Gamecube classic games thing- as a big Nintendo fan and first day purchaser of the Gamecube- I just can't bring myself to say that it had 'a ton' of classic games. It had a few spectacular games and a decent amount of pretty good ones. As much as I enjoyed Sunshine, I'd hardly consider it a classic (that island setting and the water pack eventually made it rather bland.) Naturally games like Windwaker and Metroid Prime are classics- but putting Resident Evil and (the surprisingly not terrible) Star Fox Adventures as in the same category with those two? I just don't see it. And while I enjoyed the Gamecube era, I can't see any justification for it being called a great console or anything like that. Waiting at least 3 months for any worthwhile game and dealing with non existent 3rd party support was the norm back then- and it blew. And @ RonnyLive, that 3D article was about Sony pushing 3d gaming too hard and how they haven't accounted for all the shit people are going to have to buy. It was about how Sony was jumping the gun on 3D gaming and how it is handling 3D poorly. Seeing as how the 3DS looks like it will handle 3D gaming well, it doesn't seem to apply to that discussion. Saying that Gamesradar is anti-nintendo is misguided at best, and trollish at worst- if you've been here since E3 you would have seen how everyone of them (rightly) loves the 3DS and its potential.
  • Crimmy - August 19, 2010 5:35 a.m.

Good article. I look forward to smashing my opponents with Deadpool's health bar.
  • EroticInvisibleMan - August 19, 2010 5:14 a.m.

"If the game had anything else worth noting, which coincidentally it does not, it wouldn’t matter" Oh really? It was one of the first HUDless shooters, had the best engine released in 1998, one of the first games to have bump mapping, had the best physics engine up until that point. Y'know what, it just occurred to me that Trespasser is the Crysis of the 90s; not a particularly good game, but technologically above and beyond eveything that came before.
  • Solid_Gabriel - August 19, 2010 4:48 a.m.

I can do that Zelda think, of telling where you might be at the game by just looking at the number of hearts. But I can only do it on Ocarina of Time...
  • phoenix_wings - August 19, 2010 4:46 a.m.

I liked classic RE's style of get hurt, start limping and lean forward, get 'really hurt' start dragging your ass on the floor. When you paused there was an EKG showing how far gone you were. You know, in case you couldn't tell. I don't remember if RE had a "Bleeding" status that would slowly drain your health. I think it was Dino Crisis though, where Regina would pretty much go through the same motions.
  • Ravenbom - August 19, 2010 4:31 a.m.

Great article Chris.
  • MrAnthonyDR - August 19, 2010 4 a.m.

BIAS
  • HawtKakez - August 19, 2010 3:08 a.m.

I wholeheartedly miss the life bars in games today. I don't know why but health regeneration seems so odd as a whole. I know, using an herb in Resident Evil to heal yourself didn't make much sense either but at least you had an understandable budget of health.
  • MrSuitMan - August 19, 2010 2:59 a.m.

Is it just me? Or do I distinctively remember an article just like this written earlier on the site?
  • neilbeforezod - August 19, 2010 2:54 a.m.

I'd love to see a game find an interesting way to use medkits. How about finding a first aid kit and having to initiate in a little field surgery mini game, might be unbearable, but it would be a nice change of pace from the deus ex machina that is the health pack or regenerating bullshit.
  • CaseInPoint - August 19, 2010 2:30 a.m.

Goldeneye on N64 had a great health bar, right? No. That thing was the worst. What better to help you take care of the enemy that's trying to shoot you than to flash a health bar as big as the screen over top of everything?
  • RonnyLive19881 - August 19, 2010 2:22 a.m.

@n00b, I guess that is your opinion... I loved the game! I think it still looks beautiful to this day! I like it more than Okami as a Zelda wannabe.
  • gamingfreak - August 19, 2010 2:22 a.m.

Is that a healthbar or are you just happy to see me? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
  • mahabat - August 19, 2010 2:18 a.m.

looking at classic gamecube games, missing a massive game there buddy, Metroid Prime, I mean seriously pretty dang good game right there even to this day, also i liked starfox adventures, although it should have had more flying parts in it, starfox assault was pretty good too.