• StrayGator - November 6, 2013 5:33 p.m.

Sorry to be "that guy", but: The word "Gypsy" is considered a slur in some parts of the world. Use Roma/Romani instead. I don't think there's such a thing as "Romani religion" (at least I never heard of such a thing). They are assumed to have been Hindu originally, but almost entirely adopted the local religion (mostly christianity/islam) over the centuries. The Jewish version of the binding of Isaac does tell that Isaac was tricked into joining a sacrificial excursion, but when the true plan was revealed to him he cooperated willingly. I consider it as interpretational minutiae rather than different versions. I doubt the developers of Garshasp went out of their way to find that mythology - They are iranian. The project was completed by a different studio. I don't know how many (if any) of the original team are a part of Dead Mage.
  • udUbdaWgz - November 6, 2013 6:08 p.m.

the people that consider gypsy a slur will just have to deal with it.
  • N7Spartan95 - November 6, 2013 6:32 p.m.

Okay, now I'm convinced that you're an asshole.
  • udUbdaWgz - November 7, 2013 8:40 a.m.

i love it when people take a word and try to dictate its meaning and appropriate usage. the epitome of political correctness and liberalism.
  • steamboat28 - November 7, 2013 4:37 a.m.

Deal with the fact that, because people misunderstood their geographical origins, culture, and intent, they're saddled with a name that is synonymous in modern culture with oathbreaking, thievery, black magic, poor hygiene, and the downfall of all that is good in western civilization? Yeah. 'cuz that seems reasonable.
  • udUbdaWgz - November 7, 2013 8:42 a.m.

to attribute those meanings to the word gypsy in the united states is laughably ridiculous.
  • steamboat28 - November 7, 2013 9:09 a.m.

To refuse to acknowledge those meanings is completely ignorant of the terms history, etymology, and generally agreed-upon connotation in English.
  • udUbdaWgz - November 7, 2013 10:14 a.m.

i'm sorry, but, i don't have the liberal pc dictionary in my possession. i'll just have to go with the typical, accepted definitions that aren't a slur to any intellectually honest mind. btw, when i see the word ignorant in someone's "rationale" it usually means they lost the debate.
  • N7Spartan95 - November 7, 2013 10:40 a.m.

So it's considered "liberal" to make the slightest attempt to be considerate towards the sensitivities of a group of people? Isn't that supposed to be common courtesy? Look, there are definitely times when political correctness goes too far, but not using derogatory slurs should be common sense.
  • udUbdaWgz - November 7, 2013 12:55 p.m.

like i said, anybody who considers the very tame and considerate and actual definition of the term gypsy as "insensitive" isn't getting any of my sympathy. in my life i've never heard anybody consider it a "slur." btw, what "group of people" consider the term gypsy as "insensitive, lol?"
  • N7Spartan95 - November 7, 2013 1:09 p.m.

Are you in fact TRYING to be a prick, or does it simply come naturally to you? Are you giving ANY thought whatsoever to what steamboat28 and I are saying? I'm forced to assume that either you aren't, or you're just spouting shit to deliberately piss people off. Either way, I'm done. I have better things to do with my time than trying to reason with a troll.
  • Eightboll812 - November 7, 2013 2:02 p.m.

Are either of you Gypsies or Romani (whatever you say it should be called)? Just wondering. And when was the last time anyone actually heard anyone use the phrase "gypped"? I think maybe I saw that on Andy Griffith once, probably recall it being used a little when I was like elementary school age (like over 30 years ago). No so much since then. Before you start calling me names too, I'm not taking a side here. I just think it's mostly going like this: yes it is. no it's not. yes it is. no it's not. yes it is. no it's not. In my own life experience, I've not come to understand the term as insulting in present day and I even grew up around a lot of racism and biggotry, but I do understand historically it may have. I think it's almost like the term Jew. Some people say it as an insult, others as a simple label for someones lineage, and there have been historical times when it was almost universally meant as an insult, but present day it's not like that anymore. It's possible my life experience isn't representative, but I'm leery of changing my opinion based on reading something from people in a comments section yelling at someone that disagrees with them.
  • N7Spartan95 - November 7, 2013 2:11 p.m.

Yeah, you're right. This has gotten pretty stupid, hasn't it?
  • udUbdaWgz - November 7, 2013 2:48 p.m.

lol, troll? prick? how typical. by your definitions, i could say the same exact things about you. however, i don't because nobody is just trying to start a bunch of crap for the fun of it. THAT'S what a troll does. when somebody tries to tell me that the word gypsy is a derogatory, insensitive slur, i'm going to confront that nonsense.
  • N7Spartan95 - November 7, 2013 2:58 p.m.

Look, this has gotten out of hand. I'm sorry I snapped, that was unbecoming of me. How about we agree to disagree and leave it at that? Arguing in a comment section isn't benefiting anyone.
  • udUbdaWgz - November 7, 2013 3:13 p.m.

sounds good. and, don't worry about a thing: i love to debate and keep my mind sharp. or, at least, try;)
  • steamboat28 - November 7, 2013 11:18 a.m.

Firstly, this has nothing to do with being "liberal." It's plain linguistic fact. When a culture uses the word "gypped" as the past-tense of a verb that means "to cheat one in a deal," and that word comes from a derogatory term for the Rroma ("gypsy"), due to a widespread cultural distrust of said people (which, in term, comes from a completely incorrect viewpoint about their geographic origins), then that's quite obviously a derogatory term. Furthermore, as the cultural stereotypes of these "gypsies" has continued, the Rroma have been turned into a caricature of everything both exotic and untrustworthy, from being widely portrayed as a superstitious lot, a dangerous infestation, a host of harlots and charlatans, wielders of black magic, devil worshippers, vagrants, and general "untouchables", to being fetishized for these same erroneous stereotypes. Secondly, the word "ignorant" has a very clear meaning, one you'd be familiar with if you owned a dictionary. It has no bearing on whether or not one is "losing" a debate (which this is not; this is an argument. debates are civil discussions of viewpoint held between two individuals of some intellectual standing), nor is it part of any "rationale" (which you've put in sarcasm-quotes for your own benefit, I'm hoping, since that can't possibly be the word you truly intended to use.)
  • udUbdaWgz - November 7, 2013 1:07 p.m.

and, what "culture" uses the term gypsy as a slur? ANY word can be used as a derogatory term. ANY person or group can take offense. this is the first time in my life i've ever heard the word gypsy as being a fundamentally derogatory term. in fact, the multiple definitions i read have nothing about slang or negativity. what i see is you using the term "ignorant" as a punchline. as if its mere utterance is proof. fine and in the same way i'll call you ignorant of the fact that in my "culture" the term gypsy is used in a very kind way. it's a term of endearment. a highly esteemed way of life.
  • udUbdaWgz - November 7, 2013 10:16 a.m.

any other words i need to filter through my pc lens? can i say the word hippie? because, god knows that could be seriously, "insensitive." how about scavenger? is that pc acceptable? thug? the pc list is long and deranged.
  • StrayGator - November 7, 2013 8:03 a.m.

"I still don't think "porch monkey" should be considered a racist term" youtu.be/dWdVwt2deY4