We Recommend

• soggysage - December 13, 2011 10:50 a.m.

The trailer for this was probably my highlight of the VGAs, I just love everything Platinum does and can't wait to pick this up!
  • mattdark - December 13, 2011 10:22 a.m.

I saw someone try to argue the the trailer shows the game going to 'ridiculous' new levels. But the thing is, almost any scene with Raiden in MGS4 was over the top, and despite trying to claim the series has always been someone 'grounded in reality' Look at the MGS games for just a minute and thik about that. While not as OTT as say, Devil May Cry, there have been plenty of scene that do stuff that defies normal logic. -Snake Leaping off a missile (Twin Snakes) -Vamp being able to walk on water and survive a headshot (MGS2) -Eva beating up Ocelot with a moterbike (MGS3) -Any fight-scene with Raiden (MGS4) Trying to claim that this is ignoring the logic already set in the other games is just another sod just moaning like all the others
  • slimjim441 - December 13, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Snake jumping off a missile doesn't really count, because Twin Snakes was full of silly 'Matrix-esque' stuff that didn't belong and made Snake look like some... Neo or something. I mean really, what's more like Solid Snake: dodging a shot from Ocelot by simply side stepping, or doing some ridiculous back flip that wasn't really necessary. It's that stuff that makes me still like original MGS1 more than Twin Snakes. Anywho, MGR:R doesn't seem like a failure (yet). I'm sure the gameplay will be excellently gory and fun and all that. Mostly what worries me is the post-MGS4 part. Given all that's happened after that game, I would like a good explanation as to why Raiden is fighting as a cyborg ninja again, and why there are tons of Metal Gears. What's that all about guys?!
  • mattdark - December 14, 2011 12:49 a.m.

Hmm, if were going by the original then, I suppose there was Grey Fox holding the weight of REXs foot with one hand while the thing was trying to stomp on him. Which was the point that set one person off in particular. Someone didnt like the fact that Raiden was able to lift and toss the RAY model in the trailer, even though it was made to look like it took alot of power. When a cyborg ninja can hold up a giant foot, Raidens RAY-tossing doesnt seem all that impossible, especially as he would likely have greater technology in him then Gray Fox did.
  • slimjim441 - December 14, 2011 10:09 a.m.

True. And even though lifting REX's foot seems humanly impossible, it made fictional sense with the whole 'cyborg' thing. Which then, yes, Raiden throwing a RAY doesn't sound impossible.
  • Bitchslapthehomeless - December 13, 2011 10:18 a.m.

*Slow clap starting* This is exactly how I feel. Great article. If anyone is to do a slash-up action game, Plantinum is the team to do it!
  • Dakken - December 13, 2011 10:18 a.m.

Hack and slash button masher.
  • deathrea - December 13, 2011 10:07 a.m.

I don't know, man. I'm currently reserving final judgement until we see more, but it just doesn't feel like Metal Gear. You can see Platinum Games' fingerprints all over that trailer but none of that Kojima magic. Yes, the Metal Gear games have a lot of crazy stuff in them, but they make you believe them through the way they are presented. This may be a good game, but based solely on this trailer, maybe not the Metal Gear game we've all been waiting for.
  • SGTCOOL - December 13, 2011 12:44 p.m.

You have a point there: "that Kojima magic." It's hard to explain exactly what that is, but to me it MAKES Metal Gear. And dropping the word "Solid" off of the title doesn't strip it completely from the universe. Soooo I'll just pretend this is a case like Snake's Revenge on Nintendo. To me IT NEVER HAPPENED.
  • zombiekoolaid - December 13, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Not a MGS fan but if it plays like Bayonetta or Vanquish I will definitely pick this game up.
  • sutrebla15 - December 13, 2011 10:02 a.m.

I wanna be a ninja...
  • chrisat928 - December 13, 2011 10:01 a.m.

No, sorry. In the ending of MGS4 Raiden was shown of have his ninja cyborg body replaced with a normal looking cyborg body, which means he would have gone through the re-ninja-ing. Also, before, it was supposed to take place before MGS4, and involve Raiden infiltrating Area 51 to rescue Sunny from the Patriots. Kojima also mentioned that a no kill playthrough would still be possible.
  • Felixthecat - December 13, 2011 11:04 a.m.

Rising was cancelled. This is a completely different game.
  • Sjoeki - December 13, 2011 11:13 a.m.

I have forgotten it too but this is a spinoff and as such it can have it's own story and it doesn't have to make sense with the things going down in MGS 4. For me it would be like bitching about the fact that aerith lives in Kingdom Hearts when she !!!SPOILER!!! died in FF VII.
  • ultimatepunchrod - December 13, 2011 9:59 a.m.

I also like how you're complaining about internet hate while using the annnoying "Fact." thing. It's your opinion even if it's a widely held opinion.
  • SavageWolf777 - December 13, 2011 9:57 a.m.

I agree 100%, this is actually the only MGS game I've ever been interested in, ney, excited for. Bring on the insanity!
  • ultimatepunchrod - December 13, 2011 9:55 a.m.

good luck convincing anyone. I've been trying to convince people that DmC will be good since last September. On topic though: this looks fun. I'd like to play it but I can understand the fan outcry. Going from stealth action to Bayonetta action is a big jump.
  • GAYMER - December 13, 2011 9:53 a.m.

I'm cool with the changes the made to the game, as long as we get to see Raiden doing naked cartwheels again :)
  • salaryman2456 - December 13, 2011 9:52 a.m.

The third point is my main arguement, Ninja in whatever guise throught Metal gear has been some one who slices through entire groups of people, look at "his" intro in MGS1 for instance let alone the Raiden/MGS4 aerobic murder.
  • Taboo5289 - December 13, 2011 9:52 a.m.

Finally someone says it, Revengeance really does look to be a blast of a game and I for one as a long time MGS fan will be happily buying and playing the hell out of it.