Topics

Nintendo

• Erased230 - June 22, 2011 4:52 p.m.

Does it really matter how powerful this system is? I don't mean to be attacking Nintendo fans, and I'm not a fanboy of any system. But Nintendo has consistently showed an inferior system since the Gamecube atleast. N64 was trumped by PSX, but that was ok, b/c the 64 came out first. But the Gamecube, Wii were inferior to the competition. Do we really expect much from the Wii-U? By the time the next gen Xbox and PS come out, the Wii-U will once again be outdated by a long while. And besides being child friendly, what is the justification for buying Nintendo consoles? Please, don't say Mario (yes, he is the man).
  • LOZ4EVAH - June 22, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Wait! all that info and your conclusion is "uhh we don't know yet" LMAO I was expecting an answer
  • markeywo - June 22, 2011 3:51 p.m.

@Cazamanga Nintendo's busting point? The 3DS hasn't sold horribly at all, it just didn't live up to the amount of figures sold by the iterations of the original DS (which sold by the bucket load, unlike the PSP). The Wii U certainly will sell. I mean, if someone told you 10 years ago that the best selling video game console of 7th generation would be someone shaking 2 sticks at the screen, you would have laughed. But Nintendo made it happen.
  • Leathersoup - June 22, 2011 3:42 p.m.

Considering Nintendo has historically never taken a cost loss on any hardware they've sold, I'd say that it won't be extremely powerful. However it's hard to say what can be built for $300 these days.
  • Cazamanga - June 22, 2011 3:25 p.m.

I hate to say this but i think this is gonna be Nintendo's Busting point. I Mean the 3DS alone sold horribly and has sadly only sold a bare minimum of 1.5 mil units in the U.S. And with this new Wii U I am starting to see and smell a Sega Dreamcast Fiasco all over again.
  • lppriestman96 - June 22, 2011 3:03 p.m.

I heard they are releasing a new xbox soon anyway so I'll be getting that instead, the wii u still looks like its a current gen console so I'm hoping xbox will release a next gen console if not then I'll be going back to sony if they bring out a new console... they'll have to make better controller design first though.
  • ollyn - June 22, 2011 2:35 p.m.

Consoles live and die on their games. I think this will have to get some great exclusives games fast as it won't really have the 3 year lee way that the PS3 did. (Seriously for ages the only reason to buy was MGS4 and that was mostly a movie). It's definitely interesting to see what happens though if it doesn't gain traction quickly it may not reach maturity before the next gen comes. Personally I am not that sold on the touch screen, there is never anything in gaming I can think of that would make me want to look down at my lap to a second screen. DS is fine because they are both in view at the same time, but this would require refocusing and that would break immersion a little. A Wii with some grunt is an enticing prospect though, but I still can't shake that feeling that it might be a bit late to the party.
  • Scammeleon - June 22, 2011 1:37 p.m.

"making the 360 and PS3 look like a haemophiliac Yorda by comparison" As a haemophiliac I resent that comment, dammit. It sounds to me like it's going to be essentially just as powerful as the two other systems, but with a little bit more oomph in it's processor... So probably top of the line for this generation, but it's sure to be in a similar position to the Wii next-gen. Though given how happy developers are with the current tech that might pay off in the initial few years whenever the PS4/720Box come round.
  • jmcgrotty - June 22, 2011 11:52 a.m.

"They haven't yet said what technology that is using, is it wi-fi? Bluetooth?" (first: using wifi? No idea/guess) It's all speculation, but... There is very, very little chance that the Cafe controller uses anything but Bluetooth. At the very least, it will have Bluetooth receivers built in. First, there is no other significant format out there right now that would justify anything but Bluetooth (there are others, yes, but not as accepted as Bluetooth). Secondly, the Revolution controller is Bluetooth. It has been said that the Revolution controllers can be used with Cafe. So, cafe needs Bluetooth. Third, and possibly the least significant to Nintendo, is the global acceptance of Bluetooth and investment electronic companies around the world have put into the tech. If Nintendo says "no" to Bluetooth, third-party accessories will not work (note that this can be avoided if the system does contain the receiver that the Revolution controllers need to run on Cafe. If Revolution can allow Bluetooth, other companies can also take advantage). The importance of this part is pretty obvious. We all know that Rock Band/Guitar Hero will return someday, and those controllers will need to connect somehow. Bluetooth is the path of least resistance. There is one other intriguing idea about the Cafe controller: What if it runs by wifi? Basically, you give both the Cafe and the controller different addresses and then you network them together. The biggest drawback with this is the transfer rate. Bluetooth is massively faster than wifi. Wifi transfers at 4.5Mbit/s, Bluetooths (3.0) is 24Mbit/s. Though, if they go with Bluetooth 4.0, it's even more confusing, due to the relationship with wifi.
  • janderkin - June 22, 2011 11:38 a.m.

Does the new Wii have to look like a used bar of soap?
  • jmcgrotty - June 22, 2011 11:33 a.m.

"Who would not want Hd Mario games!?" Depends on what the games played like. People seem to forget that, gameplay-wise, 85% of Mario games suck hamster balls. (That 85% number I made up in my head, thinking through the history of the series and my opinion of the games. Don't take it as scientific fact or anything. But I will stand by the point that very, very few Mario games are "very good" or "great")
  • lilbuddha - June 22, 2011 10:43 a.m.

While not completely "apples to apples", Nintendo IS going the way of Apple. Proprietary interfaces/media, innovative over functional controllers (Took 3 generations to unfuck the disgrace which was the GC controller!?), Online services are crippled and limited...and of course the rehashes, oh the rehashes.
  • komadose - June 22, 2011 9:57 a.m.

i really do care how powerful this console is. do graphics make a game? no, but graphics make the atmosphere, and stuff like lighting effects impact the gameplay. then there's physics. physics actually add to the gameplay, and good physics really need the horsepower. i doubt that this console is gonna be powerful enough to call it "next gen", but it might just be powerful enough to beat the current consoles. am i interested? no. as a core gamer, i'm fine with my PC.
  • sirdilznik - June 22, 2011 9:37 a.m.

Well if the rumors are true that it's packing a custom RV770 GPU then it should easily be way more powerful than a 360 or a PS3, even if you take into account the power it needs to give up to stream graphics to the controller. It's dependent of course on which particular model they base their custom GPU off, but even if it's based off of a 4830 it should still be significantly more powerful than the 7800GTX the PS3 packs or the ATI Xenos that the 360 packs. If it's based off say the 4870 than it would be way more powerful than either a Xenos or a 7800GTX. Of course that's just raw graphical horsepower, there's still the CPU and many other factors to consider. All just speculation at this point anyway.
  • magic_muffin_man - June 22, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Well if you aren't going to say first, than I guess I have to, don't I? Also, the article was well written. Judging by the demos though I think we're looking at the power equivalent of a PS3.5
  • chrisat928 - June 22, 2011 8:56 a.m.

If it has to broadcast the video to the controller, it has to have the power to do that, which cuts into the overall power of the machine. They haven't yet said what technology that is using, is it wi-fi? Bluetooth?