Topics

Pokemon

• Flaaffy180 - February 24, 2013 8:05 a.m.

1I think this is a good debate so Im going to say my opinions here. I think Pokemon shouldn’t fight because it may encourage younger audiences (for example, four year olds) to fight with others. Think about if two imaginative eight year olds (I mean children ranging from 5 – 8 play pretend sward fighting and things like that) played outside and one of the decided to play Pokemon. While battling as Pokemon, Possibly one of the children could get injured if one child punches the other. As we see in the Pokemon episodes its all about fighting and in the very first episode Ash is watching two Pokemon fight. This is encouraging violence. However it not just Pokemon games and series that involves fighting. There are war games like MW, call of duty and other violent games that are based on killing others. The good thing about these fighting games is that they faint and can be recovered at the end of a battle/war. However children aren’t realising that in real life if they shoot there friend with a machine gun, they wont come back alive. On the other hand, Pokemon has been successful and therefore there is no reason it should be banned now. 15 year running and nobody as urgently complained at the fighting. Pokemon Blue, Red, Green, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Gold, Silver, Yellow, Pearl, Diamond, Platinum, white, black, white 2, black 2 X and Y (and so on) have been super successful in the past eighteen years and nobody has really complained. To sort this solution I think, like they have done on some Pokemon games, there should be an age limit on different games and Tv series. Thanks for reading, Flaaffy180
  • Rosilea - October 13, 2012 11:23 p.m.

I believe pokemon fighting should be banned. After seeing my brother level up his Blastoise to level 100 I saw him pick up a water gun and go outside to squirt some friends with it. This has got the kid to have fun with water and start going fun to enjoy the topics and interesting things he found in the game that he very much enjoys. I had already given him MW3 and have fixed any problems he'll have with being a bad child. MW3 is so much better and a classic anyways.
  • espadaxin2 - October 13, 2012 9:20 a.m.

3 words: Pokemons. aren't. real.
  • tehtimeisnow - October 13, 2012 1:39 a.m.

i argree with peta pokaman is bad for anemals and eating meat is rong cuz its murder to eat meat and pokaman is a horrable games anyway cuz nitendo makes it and it sucks
  • bishabosha - November 5, 2012 9:25 a.m.

Too rite. Stve Job woudl neva eat meat
  • talleyXIV - October 12, 2012 12:57 p.m.

PETA is silly.
  • SoMi - October 12, 2012 11:01 a.m.

This discussion on pokemon reminds me a lot of a discussion I had recently on whether or not zoos are ethical. A lot of the same problems appear, specifically the lesser amount of space given to animals under human care than they would have in the wild. However, it was rightly pointed out that when animals are under human care they don't need such a great amount of space. Instead of having to hunt for miles to bring back food to satisfy their their needs and the needs of their family, the food is instead provided for them. Animals in the wild, like wild pokemon, are assured of neither safety nor food, two things pokemon under good trainers have no need to worry about. The one thing that is important in a zoo/pokeball setting is to ensure that the animals/pokemon get the exercise they need to stay healthy, and that is where battling comes in. If you think about it, pokemon battles are the best thing that could have happened to pokemon. They get well fed and taken care of, as well as regularly exercised. Of course there are some downsides to battling pokemon, but injuries come as a part of life, and are probably least worrisome within a controlled setting. Pokemon in the wild most likely have a much shorter lifespan due to the dangers of predators, natural illnesses, and starvation in the winter (just as animals or humans in a non-civilized setting). A pokemon that does not battle would not have to be in such top shape, and therefore health problems that are noted and cured on a regular basis in battling pokemon might go unchecked, and we're complaining abut pokemon who faint during battle and is then promptly healed? I agree that we could stand to look at how the taxes are structured, (perhaps there could be a heavier tax on training and battling?) but if the people are willing to bear this much of a tax burden, I would argue that the government would just find something else to spend the money on. At least it's going toward the well-being of our fellow creatures.
  • JarkayColt - October 12, 2012 9:57 a.m.

Pretty fun and evenly matched debate. Coop almost cinched it but the whole "economy" slide ruined his side of the arguement for me. I'm pretty sure if you lived in a world where the economy revolved solely around the "Pokémon industry" you wouldn't simply just be able to ban it overnight with zero consequence. If you stop capturing and battling Pokémon, they're still going to be THERE, and based on how integrated they are in the 'ecosystem' you're gonna want to protect yourself, y'know, against all the wild trashbag Pokémon roaming the streets (seriously, just imagine a world where wild animals jumped out at you EVERYWHERE). How do you stop that? Well, you catch some for yourself and fight them off, and if your new "pet" doesn't have a problem with that and actually wants to stay by your side, then sure, why not? And as Henry pointed out it's just about being able to handle responsibilty. Like ANYTHING, ever! Pokémon battling is almost comparable to, say, boxing or something; it's dangerous but they try and follow set regulations to make it a lot safer. And the reason it's not banned is because it's fun, and the vocal minority are killjoys (not calling you a killjoy Coop but...well okay I am XD) Hooray for overanalysis!
  • ericthesmith - October 12, 2012 9:07 a.m.

Hollander Cooper, are you me? I've found myself agreeing with you every time.
  • NullG7 - October 12, 2012 7:07 a.m.

Again its hard to say its a complicated issue that isn't as simple as a yes or no answer for me. Though I think that its hard to be say if the practice should be continued or not, but I think more awareness should be raised about pokeballs and that while I think that fighting in a safe environment is not a bad thing necessarily that it should be ensured that the pokemon consents to the match before hand.
  • zombi3grim - October 12, 2012 5:27 a.m.

Gotta go with Cooper again on this one. If Pokemon were real, I doubt we would be fighting them.
  • boondocks50 - October 12, 2012 1:28 p.m.

i doubt we would be alive
  • jackthemenace - October 12, 2012 4:45 a.m.

That was absolutely amazing. Cooper geets my vote, hands down, almost purely because of he 'Our tax dollars' point, which had me in stitches. Great work guy- stuff like this is what makes you the best around :D
  • crazor89 - October 12, 2012 1:32 a.m.

Great debate guys! Coop wins hands down for me. I admire a man who takes a stand he believes in regardless of how unpopular (currently getting 17.86% of the vote) it may be. With his heartfelt leadership and refusal to be swayed by the masses we may one day become a society that is able and willing to put an end to the barbaric sport of Pokemon Battling. In Cooper we trust!
  • GAYMER - October 12, 2012 12:08 a.m.

Some of you guys are taking this a little too seriously -_-
  • RadgarLaser2 - October 11, 2012 10:36 p.m.

I love how pokemon fighting is so much larger of an issue than people getting stabbed in the neck. Also the irony of some of these reply.
  • Vixous - October 11, 2012 8:30 p.m.

This is like comparing apples to oranges or a fantasy world to the real world. As fantastic as the argument is, it is pretty much irrelevant for banning (non-existent in the real world) pokemon battles. LEAVE MY CHILDHOOD FANTASY GAMES ALONE AND LET ME DREAM! pfft... In the pokemon world everyone is happy and all this fighting is just sport to both pokemon and trainers (like football or something in the real world). BUT in the real world, there is the possibility that reality could corrupt pokemanz logic and abuse these cute fluffy pieces of shiz. TL;DR- Poké world logic =/= Real world logic
  • evilpacman18 - October 11, 2012 8:06 p.m.

Based solely on whose argument was better, Cooper won by a mile.
  • GR HollanderCooper - October 11, 2012 7:42 p.m.

You're all monsters.