• jackthemenace - July 16, 2011 11:36 a.m.

The only reason I rented SotD instead of buying it was because GR told me there was no replay value, but if you hadn't said that I would've bought it for sure
  • quincytheodore - July 16, 2011 7:19 a.m.

Oh, man. I foresee Catherine gonna flop.. Say it isn't so...
  • boondocks50 - July 16, 2011 6:40 a.m.

im going to pick it up SOD, ive just been beating all the games i have before i get new ones because the fall season for games is gonna be packed
  • CoryRX8 - July 16, 2011 5:43 a.m.

Well, don't blame me. I bought both games on their release dates. A lack of marketing really killed both of these games. The failure of honest-to-goodness creative games like this is a self-fulfilling prophecy; you know that, somewhere, some jackass marketing type is saying "This game won't sell, let's market our cookie-cutter FPS instead" and then when the heavily-marketed FPS outsells the un-marketed creative game, said marketing jackass says "See! I told you that the FPS would sell better!"
  • ObliqueZombie - July 16, 2011 5:37 a.m.

This is exactly what I expected, to be honest. This happens quarter after quarter, people bitch about "Oh noes, another Call of Duty," and yet when something like this roles around, it beams at us, all happy and ready to be lamented over, and hardly anyone in the crowd speaks up and gives it a chance. But hell, what can I say? I didn't buy either of these games, because I'm saving up the dough to buy OTHER games whilst in college. At least I'm not supporting the... other stuff.
  • cracker33 - July 16, 2011 3:51 a.m.

I just bought Shadows of the Damned. I am trying to help the cause!
  • Shanetexas - July 16, 2011 3:36 a.m.

That's sad. Maybe it's all about the hype train. I remember a lot more hype for Shitty Duke Nukem to the superior Shadows of the Damned.
  • RebornKusabi - July 16, 2011 3:32 a.m.

Duke Nukem Forever and LA Noire had the hype, air-time and pushing power behind them while Shadows of the Damned and Child of Eden had neither of the above... not much of a mystery. They also got damned by the Steam sales and the fact that gamers seem incapable of taking parody or callbacks to genres for whatever reasons. Its quite clear that Shadows of the Damned is meant to be one of those "If a movie director made it" games (that director being Robert Rodriguez) in the way the all-holy Star Wars or Indiana Jones were a callback to old serials from the 40's. Shadows was clearly a Grindhouse game but gamers find the humor immature without understanding that its intentionally immature.
  • AlbVega - July 16, 2011 2:37 a.m.

I'm doing all my best to promote Child of Eden among my friends that don't own kinect (like me). It seriously is a breathtaking game, and it is lame that it isn't selling well.
  • DMarten - July 16, 2011 1:56 a.m.

I bought both games. I enjoyed what I've played of SotD and I haven't tried Eden yet. Like what others have said, I believe this has more to do with marketing. People I know what would love SotD never heard of it until I've told them about it. Hell, I didn't even know it had been released until I listened to TalkRadar.
  • Darkhawk - July 16, 2011 1:08 a.m.

What else should we expect? An ultra-niche title from the guy who created such market powerhouses as Killer 7 and No More Heroes? Let's just be happy it came out at all. (And that those of us fans with patience will be able to score it on eBay at steep discounts in the coming months (which, to be fair, I admit contributes to the sales problem)).
  • Darkmessiah24 - July 16, 2011 1:02 a.m.

Sad when two solid games don't get the recognition they deserve in terms of sales. I know a lot of people don't like Shadows of the Damned but I still give credit to EA for being interested in helping Grasshopper expand their fanbase to newer people, even if it was a bit vulgar.
  • BluegrassSmoker - July 16, 2011 1:02 a.m.

To be honest I heard nothing about this game until the very end. There was little to no marketing. Can't blame people for not buying something they knew nothing about.
  • geneticallyalteredsupergiraffeejaculatinggrenades - July 16, 2011 12:36 a.m.

I would gladely buy these if I had money
  • F4G1TR0N - July 16, 2011 12:28 a.m.

Damn you guys lol, just killing these games. Anyways I plan to add a number to shadow of the damned, I loved the game but only had it as a rental. Just try it out first guys before you say it is terrible. The game is amazingly fun.
  • avantguardian - July 16, 2011 12:15 a.m.

i can appreciate SotD and CoE(i have an original copy of Rez), but really, the long term appeal seems to really be lacking. i need something to really dive into. especially for new game costs. there are a few exceptions of course, AND I THINK EVERYONE WHO HASN'T PLAYED VANQUISH NEEDS TO NOW. seriously, it's like $15-20. worth much more than that. i'll pick up both the aforementioned games when they're cheaper. don't blame me, or gamestop or whoever. blame $60 price tags for 8 hr games.
  • PrototypeKnuckles - July 15, 2011 11:57 p.m.

Gamers dont want innovation there lying to there selves all they want is a first person shooter and thats it, look at this years E3 thats why it sucked to many fps games instead of new ip
  • Rodon - July 15, 2011 11:37 p.m.

@shadowrepeat72 Well, you're gonna have to care how good the 2 hours is eventually; otherwise, we'd have games with multiplayer but are crap. Do you want that? So say there's a game that's crap, but has multiplayer. And then there's this other game that's of platinum (gold's not enough) quality; however, it has no multiplayer; you would have to enjoy the run over and over to get some longetivity for it. So...which path would you take?
  • Rodon - July 15, 2011 11:32 p.m.

Are you sure that the same people that wanted originality are the same ones that ignored those games? Because they're not necessairly the same. This has been my explanation for all cases like this, by the way.
  • CoryM1134 - July 15, 2011 11:26 p.m.

I bought Shadows of the Damned, so I'm not to blame. I wouldn't be surprised if more people do... the Game Informer that came to my house yesterday gave it a 9.25 and gave it game of the month. LOTS of people read Game Informer... so hopefully...