• Hiatsu2k8 - September 4, 2013 7:19 a.m.

I know this an old post but I want to point out that the original game was able to produce video in 480p and 16:9 ratio.
  • ghiblifan - February 18, 2012 10:08 p.m.

People often look at comparison videos on Youtube of the 'HD Collections' for PS3 and comment that they "look the same"... usually they're playing the videos in sub SD 360p. Even when they play them in 720p, Youtube have a lot of compression and bit rate shenanigans going on. So I pity anyone going away thinking they don't need to upgrade their PS2 games. In the case of the God of War games, Ico and SotC and the new Metal Gear Solid HD collections, as well as the downloadable Resident Evil 4, I cannot even begin to tell you how much better they look in the flesh. I did an actual side by side with Metal Gear Solid 3, and I gave the PS2 a fighting chance with a gold component cable, yet the PS2 version looked like someone had smeared oil on the screen. Add to this that the HD collections are full 16:9 with vastly improved frame rates. I mean come on people, don't you recognise quality when you see it?
  • Laura24 - August 16, 2011 6:42 a.m.

I'm quite surprised that they were able to upgrade the textures so well. It's nice to think that now more people can get the experience of playing some great games. However, despite the visual upgrade, I think I will pass on the HD collection since I already own Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
  • austincharlesbond - August 15, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Well I see a noticeable improvement. They could have changed nothing and I wouldn't have cared. I love SoTC.
  • marioman50 - August 14, 2011 10:03 p.m.

Much better conversion than Ico's. I'm not quite sure why they changed the aspect ratio of the intro, though, it was already 16:9. The original had a widescreen option for the gameplay, as well. Also, I might be crazy but the PS2 version appears to have better bloom effects than the PS3 version. A little disappointing, but it's still a beautiful game, I'm sure I'll get over it. I guess I just expected the remake to be everything the PS2 version was, and more.
  • soranamineforever - August 14, 2011 8:48 a.m.

SotC was already one of the best looking games of the last generation, right up there with Kingdom Hearts 2 and Resident Evil 4. Just being able to play the damn thing, period, is win enough for me. The HD conversion is just the sugar coating.
  • Craza - August 14, 2011 3:18 a.m.

The textures do look a little softer, but that's about all I can say. On the video, it looked exactly the same. I didn't see any differences until I saw the two still comparisons. Even then... Oh well, people will just be happy to have it on PS3.
  • Risonhighmer - August 14, 2011 3:06 a.m.

I'm commenting mostly to say that the video player sucks. (However to the people saying it doesn't play it in HD, that's because you aren't giving it long enough to buffer.) Just give us a little HD button we can press instead of waiting for it do auto detect that we want it in HD
  • JBizFoShiz - August 14, 2011 2:09 a.m.

Alright, yes. There is a difference. Is it a HUGE difference? No. But the original was BEAUTIFUL. You can definitely tell the differences between, say, God of War or Sly Cooper or Halo because of the age of the original material. God of War 2 was beautiful as a PS2 game, and was almost up to GOW 3 levels in its remake. So, it's not at that level. Big deal. It's not as unnoticeable as the Prince of Persia trilogy. (As much as I love those games) Have faith in Team Ico, people. These games were, and still are, better than a lot of the dreck shoved down our throats.
  • jackthemenace - August 13, 2011 6:16 p.m.

... I can't even tell which is the HD one D: I'm still excited for it though, I don't care about the graphics, just the gameplay and the fact it has trophies >:D
  • JADENkOTOR - August 13, 2011 3:20 p.m.

You're a hemroid this doesn't look any better. I like the enthusiasm though.
  • soulhunter - August 13, 2011 2:51 p.m.

I was one of the very few people that bought Ico when it was originally released, not the re-release a while back. Ico was so captivating with a great story and incredible visuals for the time, it was unlike anything i had played before. I will be getting this collection.
  • thecresta - August 13, 2011 2 p.m.

Looks ok, would have liked MORE fog to be honest. But I'll always prefer the original versions regardless of their faults. I don't have a PS2 any more, and I've got no room for one, but if I did buy one it would only be so I could play these games again (I still have boxed copies). This box set is a god-send.
  • Hobogonigal - August 13, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Asshole, the video is so low resolution that I can't tell the difference and the pictures are near enough the same apart from one is widescreen. It should still be good though for those that haven't played the game.
  • philipshaw - August 13, 2011 11:11 a.m.

Why are people using a SD video to compare this, wait until you see it on your HD TV and you will notice the difference. Also SOTC is still one of best looking games of all time in terms of art design
  • BrianDowns - August 13, 2011 10:40 a.m.

I honestly cannot tell the difference. Maybe I have a shitty moniter, but the improvements aren't worth the money. A better framerate maybe, but I don't see the point in playing this game for a 3rd time just because of a slightly better framerate.
  • NeoTechni - August 13, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Its not the aspect ratio they had to redo the art for, its the resolution
  • mattdark - August 13, 2011 7:30 a.m.

While graphical differances may be minimal, the frame-rate has has a tremendous boost, and it seem to be alot smoother then its PS2 counterpart.
  • CitizenWolfie - August 13, 2011 7:11 a.m.

Other than the close up of Wander's face and the wide bridge shot, I couldn't tell them apart that much. If anything the bloom lighting (like behind the altar) looked better on PS2. I guess I was hoping for more really although SOTC was really a great looking game for the PS2 in the same was God of War 2 was.
  • Doctalen - August 13, 2011 5:54 a.m.

Honestly I couldn't see the difference. Every time I thought I saw a difference in quality, I see something in the other video to change my mind. On one hand it is good becuase that means the original graphics were (are) drop dead amazing. The bad part is the re-make is being siced up as HD when I find it hard to see any difference.