Topics

RadioRadar

• callyfornication - July 19, 2014 12:21 p.m.

I'm only eighteen, and from a pretty rural area, so unfortunately classic arcade games were just dreams to me. But when I moved to a city for university, I started to frequent this - to use Henry's phrase - "hipster bar". It was the type of place that had Mario Kart 64 hooked up, Mario Kart Wii on a huge projector, etc. The best thing is, there's a Pac Man cabinet there, and when I went to put the money in to play it, I wasn't greeted with the familiar maze and ghosts. It was actually WWF WrestleMania in there. Being a huge retro wrestling fan, it was great to play as Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior. I got so into it at one point that I think everyone around me thought I was just a die-hard Pac Man fan. Safe to say, I found my regular haunt.
  • callyfornication - July 19, 2014 12:25 p.m.

EDIT: It actually must have been WWF WrestleFest. That was the one with Hulk-era stars. Wrestlemania was the Mortal Kombat-style one with Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. My bad.
  • TaserLime - July 19, 2014 9:38 a.m.

I have many happy memories of playing Tetris in the arcade. I was playing Tetris on my Game Boy because my arcade did not have a Tetris arcade machine. My happiest memory was when I set the high score for Tetris, and it hasn't been beaten since (because I stopped playing Tetris for Game Boy)
  • MrHo11ywood360 - July 19, 2014 9:32 a.m.

QOTW: House of the Dead 2. My local mall used to have this game and I would ask my mom for money, and then use the player 1 and 2 guns simultaneously for some awesome zombie ass-kicking. My only regret is that my mall never had a typing of the dead machine.
  • Lurkero - July 19, 2014 7:55 a.m.

QOTW: Soul Calibur and Simpsons are my most remembered arcade experiences. Soul Calibur because people loved to be competitive by throwing each other off the stage to win rather than trying to fight with combos (it was aggravating to the skilled players) and Simpsons because it was the most common arcade game and people could jump in and out and everyone knew what to do.
  • AwkwardLoser - July 19, 2014 6:17 a.m.

Not to be a debbie downer but I remember when I was 5 my mom would take me to work during the summer at the medical center she managed, every day we'd stop by the diner next door and I'd play Street Fighter 2 and eat an egg sandwich it feels so weird and warm in hindsight considering how our relationship would end up. Also just want to say, Henry is super awesome :)!
  • universaltofu - July 19, 2014 3:14 a.m.

QOTW : One time I was playing the simpsons arcade game and it was time to go, I was right at the end, all I needed was one more quarter, just get back in and land one more hit to see the end. But no, we had to go. Coming across arcade machines were already sadly rare at this point, let alone the simpsons arcade which I had only seen once or twice before. But no, I had already used enough quarters.
  • g1rldraco7 - July 19, 2014 1:25 a.m.

Hmmm the only arcade machine memory I have is when there's a Little Caesar's Pizza near where I use to live. When me and my brother would order pizza, there was this arcade game, I don't remember the name of it, but it was a fighting game where you cut and disembowel each other. I know the characters were one was a Guile lookalike with a chainsaw for one arm, a guy in knights armor, a lizard man, a shark man and I remember Donatello from the ninja turtles was in the game. We would play each other in matches while waiting for the pizza and it was one of the reasons why I got into fighting games.
  • EAC73 - July 19, 2014 7:29 p.m.

That would be Time Killers, game was awesome.
  • g1rldraco7 - July 19, 2014 7:49 p.m.

• garnsr - July 19, 2014 1:06 a.m.

I had a local Showbiz Pizza that had a Cloak and Dagger machine. I loved the movie, and don't remember getting very far in the game, but I played it a lot when I was tired of crappy pizza and singing bears and gorillas and things.
  • jlj9064 - July 19, 2014 12:01 a.m.

Playing The six player X-Men arcade cabinet with my friends and then slamming what had to be the lowest grade pizza around at our old local Chuck E. Cheese equivalent "Boone Towne"
  • Sinosaur - July 18, 2014 11:57 p.m.

My favorite classic Arcade game was Skeeball, because I only ever got to go to arcades when I was at mini-golf or something. I actually really enjoy skeeball, not just because you can get tickets, but it's just fun to roll the balls and ramp them up; whenever I'd get one right where I wanted it, I'd feel so happy. As for arcade video games, I do distinctly remember playing Blanka in Street Fighter 2 in a Pizza Hut, but I think I lost to the second or third guy. ...Yep, didn't go to arcades much as a kid.
  • GOD - July 19, 2014 6:21 p.m.

It's like you know me on a deep, deep level. Except swap "Blanka" with "unimportant character" and "Street Fighter" with "Time Crisis." I honestly think my parents were smart enough to realize (despite not liking that I was into games so much) that it was more cost efficient for them to just buy me games then have me blow money at arcades.
  • punishment - July 18, 2014 11:56 p.m.

QOTW: Konami's Xmen Arcade game brings back fun memories for me. When I was really young my parents always took me to a place called "Bullwinkles" for my birthday. Basically chucky cheese, but better. I'd get a bunch of arcade tokens and mostly play all the beat em ups. The nice thing about the xmen game was the 6 person cabinet, so I was able to play that one with a bunch of my friends. We'd play through that one every year.