• Jackonomics2.0 - January 24, 2014 6:45 p.m.

NANANANANANANANANA AW HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO Uncharted was definitely more of a game than The Last Of Us, dont even think about saying that opposite garbage.
  • BladedFalcon - January 24, 2014 7:22 p.m.

I do more than think it, I assert it. The Last of Us is a better game than Uncharted in almost every respect. The AI is better, the gameplay is better, (Way more variety than jsut taking cover and shooting guys, the stealth in Uncharted games is shit, the one in TLOU isn't.) the story is WAY better, (Any of the uncharted games has an okay story at best, and only as a popcorn film like the adventure films that inspired it.) and it has better characters. Oh, and it even looks better. And what exactly makes uncharted more of a "game"? Simply that is more simple and brainless? Because you can't even claim it has more gameplay considering that it has just as much time of cut-scenes, and there's just as much amount of gameplay and skill required in TLOU than in Uncharted, if not more so. (And I say this as someone that platunim'd both games, so I know how hard they can get, and all their ins and outs.) So yeah, you're flat out wrong, I've said it. Bring it :P
  • Vonter - January 24, 2014 8:35 p.m.

I jsut played Uncharted 2, but I think comparing it with TLoU is like comparing Indiana Jones with The Road, they're different experiences. Uncharted is certainly having more fun with its story because is upbeat, TLoU is more dramatic. So yeah I don't think they're equivalent. If I had a PS3 I'll like to compare that game with Fragile because both seem to be telling the same story albeit told in different ways and each putting more of a cultural point of view.
  • BladedFalcon - January 24, 2014 9:03 p.m.

You're just viewing them in terms of tone, and kinda forgetting everything else. Yes, Uncharted's tone is more lighthearted and upbeat, but that doesn't automatically make it more "fun" or more of a "game". Besides, even when viewed as an adventure Story, Unchsarted 2 (and all the Uncharted games for that matter) Are riddled with plot-holes and clichés that bring the story down (Gee, i wonder if Harry will back stab me... Hey, you have a dead fried? No problem! we'll get a deus ex machine MacGuffin that'll let us revive people in the end and there will be no consequence whatsoever!). Pitfalls that the Last of us averts. So yeah, even if they have different tones, they are still made by the same developer, and do also share similarities in gameplay and whatnot. So they definitely merit comparison. And again, in what it sets out to do, The Last of US accomplishes things better than Uncharted does, including being a game.
  • Vonter - January 24, 2014 9:11 p.m.

Like I old you I haven't play it, just watch it. But I think you're a bit over hyped if you're comparing two things that are good at different things. Yes, the Last of Us is a gaming achievement in terms of storytelling, however it doesn't bring something new to the gameplay just better execution of previously used concepts, you could said Uncharted was a rough draft of some of those mechanics. My point is if I like going to see an action movie I go for Indiana Jones, if I like a good character study that deconstructs the dark side of human nature I go see Prisioners. Also if I want a colorful game I go with Nintendo. I think you didn't played Fragile, yeah it was a niche game but I find it funny how the narrative was broken in a similar way to the Last of Us, although more like an anime than a movie.
  • BladedFalcon - January 24, 2014 10:45 p.m.

"you could said Uncharted was a rough draft of some of those mechanics." You said it yourself, not me ;) And again, I'm not over-hyping anything. And I'm also not saying Uncharted is Trash or anything, they are certainly still good games. But just because their tone is different doesn't automatically make them incomparable just because doing so makes you uncomfortable. Also, Indiana Jones is a way better action/adventure story than Uncharted 2 is, just sayin'
  • Vonter - January 24, 2014 11:07 p.m.

What I don't understand is how you're making them comparable they have different goals with their stories, the core gameplay (from what I played of Uncharted and what I read from TLoU) is different (you even said it was more about stealth, exploration etc. were Uncharted is a shooter and scripted traversal). If it's because both games are made by Naughty Dog, that'll be like saying Wall_E is a better movie than Toy Story because it has a more mature tone. But oh well I just hope your logic isn't that being darker makes it more mature and being light hearted is being naive.
  • BladedFalcon - January 24, 2014 11:23 p.m.

Yes, the stories are not comparable, but the gameplay is. I never said anything about TLOU being about exploration. Both games actually have a very similar sense of linear progression, the basic concept of movement and shooting and taking cover is also the same. And both games had stealth. Only that in Uncharted it felt tacked on while in TLOU it was properly implemented. Also, sometimes I feel as if you're not really reading what I'm saying, and instead you're inserting your own obsessions. (You keep bringing up colorful versus realistic even when it's irrelevant, such as here) I never said anything about TLOU being better because it's more dark or mature. It's a better game because everything it does is simply better implemented, again, it looks better, plays better, and the story (regardless of the tone or what it's telling) is better told. It doesn't matter that Uncharted is meant to be more adventurous or light. That's cool, but the story itself has a shitload of problems and clichés. Again, that's regardless of tone, it's simply shoddier story telling. And also, Uncharted 2 tried to have a final boss fight... it sucked major ass and was at odds with the rest of the cinematic tone the rest of the game was going for. (IMO that boss fight was more jarring than say, Bioshock's boss fight, which everyone loves to harp against.)
  • Vonter - January 25, 2014 11:02 a.m.

Sorry I think it was something along the lines of survival. That's new to me, since it doesn't look gun heavy, more like using what you find. Ok. Again sorry, I'll not bringing again, just thought you were implying that. Yeah it's true just hoping it doesn't become a trend to have this kind of tone, it isn't fun to me. It's an 80s adventure movie ripoff, it's supposed to be cheesy and have fun doing it. That part is usually ignored by anyone who enjoyed both games, I'll not dimiss it but at least for me it doesn't bring down the rest of the experience in both games. Also I could say Spirit Tracks last sequence was awful but it doesn't broke the game to me. It's just balancing the good and the bad. Also the same thing could be said about the Arkham games and Lord of Shadow, I don't know what you think but they were also anticlimatic final stands.
  • BladedFalcon - January 25, 2014 11:39 a.m.

Well, the ammo in TLOU is certainly scarce, so you are forced to make your bullets count, but there is still a lot of gun-play and combat involved. Well, unlike you, I don't really dislike any kind of tone as long as what's offered to me is compelling in it's own right, I can like dark and depressing stuff just as I can like insane over the top, or whimsy and cute, again, long as it's done well. And i think that with the dawn of indie development, digital distribution and kickstarter, you're hopefully not going to see only one predominant kind of trend, which I approve. I don't want there to be JUST gritty and realistic shooters, just as I don't want there to be ONLY whimsy and colorful and brainless platformers or adventure games. They all have their merits and their right to exist. And well, to me stuff like that does get in the way of my enjoyment of a game, because I feel like it's shoddy or lazy, even if the stuff they are drawing inspiration from is like that, it doesn't make it okay to make the same mistakes. And well, I won't argue that Arkham Asylum had a terrible, generic boss fight. City's was much better though, I'll agree it wasn't super good, and certainly not when compared to the rest of the game otherwise fantastic boss fights, but it wasn't bad and it didn't clash as much as Arkham's final stand. And what's your problem with Lords of Shadow's final stand? What exactly where you expecting? I'll agree that the revelation that the main villain here being Satan came a bit out of left field, but taken within context of the story they were telling, and how it WAS a different take on the source material, it felt fitting enough. (Because even in the "canon" old Castlevania lore, Dracula becomes what he is because of an oath he made against God, so the religious subtext was always there.) And the boss fight itself was fine, or rather, the problem wasn't so much with the boss fight itself so much as it was that once you leveled up your magic to the max, you got two moves that were borderline broken in how powerful they were, making the fight much easier than it should be. But again, that's more a problem of giving you unbalanced moves, not so much of the design of the last boss fight itself.
  • Vonter - January 25, 2014 11:59 a.m.

I think part of it is my fanboyism awaiting Dracula to be the final boss. But the other is that Satan looks like a wimp in that game (he certainly hit the gym for the sequel), finally I didn't like playing ("semaforo") and having to end the battle with a quicktime event (which thankfully would not be the case in the sequel). I don't know the general consensus but for me it was WEAK.
  • BladedFalcon - January 25, 2014 12:08 p.m.

He certainly looks more imposing in the sequel. But I think that was the point, he wasn't supposed to be at full strength yet, and I felt his representation was faithful to the idea that he's a fallen Angel, and one who was supposed to be "beautiful" so him looking like a slim, corrupted version of that seemed fitting, at least to me. And haha, playing "semaforo" XD that's certainly a unique way to refer to that sequence. I thought it was alright myself, but certainly wasn't anything ground breaking. As for the quick time events *shrugs* I know people have grown to hate them, but I've never found them particularly annoying nor essential, so I wasn't bothered by them, but I won't be sad to not see them returning.
  • Vonter - January 25, 2014 1:31 p.m.

Yeah I got that but IMO it fitted better more an Igavania than LoS because of the anime look. In this game since it's more realistic you have to add something to pull that off, I don't know maybe changing the scenery or that shadow of his being bigger and more intimidating. I will have like to fight Zobek as climax and then sealing Satan. I think that will have made more sense. I mainly hated being pennalized so heavily by the QTE. Having a lot of life and still dying doesn't seem fair.
  • garnsr - January 24, 2014 9:13 p.m.

I more or less enjoyed all three Uncharteds, and got Last of Us because of Nughty Dog, but didn't enjoy it enough to get more than a quarter or so through it. It's a very different game, and I didn't like the stealth that seemed to have different rules for how a clicker would detect me every time I died. I had more fun playing Uncharted, though I wish there were more exploration and less shootting.
  • TheGooseinator - January 24, 2014 10:22 p.m.

Sorry Bladed, but I'm going to have to go with Voltar on this one. Just because they're made by the same developer doesn't necessarily mean that they merit comparison, especially when their overall objectives in design are so polar opposite. The Last of Us' achievement in game storytelling does not nullify the Uncharted trilogy's achievement in action and gameplay a few years prior. In my mind, both should be appreciated as the awesome games that they are :)
  • BladedFalcon - January 24, 2014 10:55 p.m.

Uncharted's achievement wasn't in action or gameplay so much as it was in terrific production value and cinematic feel, which is true, but both things are also present and enhanced in TLOU. I just don't see why people think Uncharted games are so special in their action and gameplay when we had already seen that kind of gunplay done just as well in gears, and the platforming was never really anything special, as it was almost entirely on rails, (There's no skill or precision involved, you find a ledge, you jump, and then you jump to the other edges, all the time.) And the puzzles a nice change of pace, but also nothing special. Again, to me, it's merit was to combine those elements and warp it in a fantastic presentation that made you overlook how very simple the game actually really is sometimes. But if you want achievement in action and gameplay, I can point you to a dozen better examples of that this generation. Just as an example, Vanquish has the same core shooting and action mechanics as uncharted... except it's actually faster, more fun, more precise, more varied and more challenging. Yes, it's story kinda sucks, but if we're talking about achievement in Third person shooter action, Vanquish trumps uncharted and all other games in the genre (Including TLOU), easily.
  • TheGooseinator - January 25, 2014 11:54 a.m.

I guess I sort of see what you mean. They are very different and derivative of each other in terms of gameplay. Still, neither game is entirely about gameplay, and on a story level both stand apart from each other completely. It's like comparing The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. Although the two tell their stories using very similar controls, and The Wolf Among Us's gameplay is more polished and engaging, but that doesn't make The Walking Dead irrelevant. Rather, both games succeed through the stories themselves, and how they made the player feel, rather than what buttons the player was pressing while they were being told. Although the differences between The Last of Us and Uncharted are more disparate than that of the Telltale games, the same logic more or less applies.
  • BladedFalcon - January 25, 2014 5:26 p.m.

I guess it's just that to me, the story of the Uncharted games isn't really anything outstanding, there's nothing original about the plot or characters, and no kind of deconstruction or message or anything to chew into. To me, they are exactly like the movies they based the story on, which are fun, but completely forgettable, which is why aside from their presentation, I've never understood the fascination with Uncharted's story. And I haven't played The Wolf Among Us yet, but even if it's a completely different tone, if the story is also good and gives to stuff to think about (Like TWD does) then sure, i have no problem both getting praise. It's just that, again, to me, TLOU's story IS something transcendent and that stays with you, and Uncharted's isn't. Regardless of tone, is why I view one in more high regard than the other.
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - January 24, 2014 8:39 p.m.

Pretty much nailed it on the head, thanks :D
  • TheGooseinator - January 24, 2014 10:14 p.m.

WOAH WOAH WOAH. I wholeheartedly agree that The Last of Us is probably the better game (as well as one of my favorite games of all time), but you're coming down pretty hard on Uncharted, don't you think? It has some the best acting and overall adventurous atmosphere in any game ever, and nothing is more thrilling than one of the famous Uncharted set pieces (except maybe a fight with a Clicker ;) ). The Last of Us is a masterpiece for sure, but Uncharted is certainly not a bad game by any standards.
  • BladedFalcon - January 24, 2014 10:47 p.m.

I never said Uncharted was a bad game, but I definitely think they stand on very different levels.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 24, 2014 6:34 p.m.

South Park Stick of Truth We all know its gonna be the next Duke Nukem Forever, they should release it now so we can experience the mediocrity instead of delaying it into an inevitable failure that will close the company and they will somehow blame Nintendo.
  • BladedFalcon - January 24, 2014 5:54 p.m.

My money would be on remedy's Quantum Break. Not only because we've not seen very much from the game to begin with, but also because it's being developed by the same people that had announced Alan Wake very early on the 360's cycle, and got delayed and delayed until it came out like 4 years later... So yeah, no other game coming out this year feels more guaranteed to me to be delayed than Quantum Break.