Topics

WTF

• Rivenscry - July 8, 2011 2:25 p.m.

Sorry if that was ranty, I've just had enough of the likes of E.B. and even the department stores (Big W, Target, etc) where I just saw, believe it or not, Fallout: New Vegas for $98. ...WTF!
  • Rivenscry - July 8, 2011 2:21 p.m.

Those people who have said that this is average price in Australia are so close to being right, it's not funny. As an Australian born resident and someone who still live here, I can tell you that the normal price for a brand new ordinary edition (not collectors, special or anything) is minimum $109.95 Australian Dollars. That is ridiculous. Add that to the fact that most of the games that arrive here legally are censored pretty damn heavily, and you have on your hands the recipe for a nationwide gamers revolt. And you know what the worst thing about all this is? The fact that this isn't a new thing either. Back when PS2 games were new, we were still getting charged on average, $100 each. So the next time that you see an article about how Australia is backwards and that we as a country are dragging the industry back into the days of the post-Mortal Kombat era, just take a step back and think about what I've said here.
  • nebno6 - July 8, 2011 11:15 a.m.

On the offical EU blog they actually recommend to "buy it shops because its much cheaper"
  • EtherealBoss - July 8, 2011 6:35 a.m.

Believe it or not, paying 70€ for a game is perfectly normal in Greece, where I live...all prices for new game copies range from 49.99 up to 74.99€, and that's only the standard versions I'm talking about...the extra-content ones can well go over 85€! Of course, the greek gamers buy their games from the web rather than stores...even used games sometimes cost close to 30€...the difference in prices is honestly ridiculus...
  • KidKatana - July 7, 2011 8:16 a.m.

Guys, we're all forgetting that by the standard US - UK games industry exchange rate, our US chums will actually be paying $57.99 for this. That's £36.24 by the real-world exchange rate.
  • Lolspamm0r - July 7, 2011 12:49 a.m.

Well in Australia that's about 10 dollars cheaper than a brand new game. A preowned game costs about 50 dollars unless there's some sale that might take it down to 25
  • Jasman - July 6, 2011 9:25 p.m.

News Just In: Resistance 3 is going to be 500 pounds plus VAT.
  • e1337prodigy - July 6, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Steam is similar. No packaging, but cost more than play.com or amazon. I think I read, the main reason is having all the servers to be able to handle all the downloads when bought online.
  • SuspendedIrrelevance - July 6, 2011 6:22 p.m.

It's Red Faction! REEEEEEEEEEEEED FACTIOOOON! Seriously though, WHY? You get no shiny box, no manual, a significant chunk of your hard drive taken up by it, which you have to redownload if you ever get a new PS3 ¬_¬ (Which I mention since I'm still stinging from the fact that the Data Transfer to the new warranty-replacement PS3 didn't work... so I have weeks of DLC/update-downloading ahead of me. Oh, and all Demon's Souls save data lost, along with several others. Ugh.)
  • Dredgon - July 6, 2011 5:40 p.m.

It's a trap!
  • Yarnboy - July 6, 2011 5:36 p.m.

Not like you really want Red Faction Armageddon, but it's still a bit...disappointing. Just like the PSN version of Prototype which is sold for 30 euros online and I just picked up for 5 euros in the store
  • Bamford38 - July 6, 2011 5:03 p.m.

I still dont understand how the 2 best selling games on xbox live games on demand is Black Ops and Halo Reach, when they cost £45 and £50. You can buy both of them for under £20 now. Utter madness!! Some people must just really hate changing discs!
  • futuresgreen - July 6, 2011 4:28 p.m.

Its outrageous - still, they'll be some stupid fool who will pay it !
  • xenon - July 6, 2011 4:13 p.m.

The problem is MS and Sony do not want to piss off retailers. They MUST know those prices are crazy and out the market. Microsoft is pushing the envelope with XBLA, expanding it from a small retro and casual games platform to an almost full alternative to the retail channel. But I guess "alternative" is the key word here: directly competing for sales with GameStop and the like is a different business. Until they feel ready to take the hit from retailers' retaliation (sorry about the pun), MS and Sony will not turn XBLA and PSN into Steam.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - July 6, 2011 4:12 p.m.

cosmicshambles: No, I wouldn't say you were a pedant for spotting such a stinking great error. Bloody hell, a Photoshop typo. That's some progressive mistake making. Should be fixed now though.
  • mrjimmyos - July 6, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Lmao, 93 us dollars, with the pound sign
  • LibrarianGMR - July 6, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Hardly a precedent. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is being sold on Xbox's Games on Demand service for $60.
  • fatguy19 - July 6, 2011 4:07 p.m.

Its the same with films. I could pay £8.99 for an SD version of Scarface or I could buy it on Amazon for £2.49. At the moment digital downloads are a rip off. Take Burnout Paradise, £29.99 or you can buy it on Amazon for £14.77
  • FriendlyFire - July 6, 2011 3:42 p.m.

Maybe they need to ponder on what makes Steam so insanely popular. HINT: It's not the name. I've spent less money than I would've on this game at retail price, yet bought 4 games for that. Thank you, Steam.
  • Jessup - July 6, 2011 3:07 p.m.

Man, I don't even wanna think about how much Uranus would cost...