Topics

Poll PS Vita

• Galgomite - January 13, 2012 1 p.m.

I really, really want one... but I also want a system that plays old NES and SNES games even more. Actually leaning toward something like the JXD S601 ripoff/ emulator handheld.
  • PevMaster - January 13, 2012 12:58 p.m.

Are you kidding me? The PS Vita is basically just the Frankenstein Monster of games consoles--taking every little idea that's already been tried and tested and then slapping a massive price tag on it. Touch screen? It's been done. HD? Already exists on consoles. Cameras? Jesus, how many ideas does Sony really need to steal?! The investments Sony fans are going to make will be huge. Massive memory card prices just put the icing on a cake that forces you to pay for overpriced games. Elsewhere in the handheld market, innovation still exists in the 3DS, but honestly my iPod Touch provides loads of quality games, plus surfing and everything else, whereas Apple's Japanese competitors' handhelds are pretty much for gaming only. Handheld consoles are a dying breed, as gaming is just one of the many things you can do with its devices. The Vita apparently is 'the highest-powered handheld console ever'. But why would you even care about having an HD handheld when you can find better games on smartphones and can already get excellent titles which are HD by default on home consoles? And even if you put all of these things aside, why would you want to blow $400+ on this overpriced console? So no, I don't want to feed the world's greediest, most arrogant company my cash, thank you.
  • BlueScorpion91 - January 13, 2012 3:42 p.m.

Chip on ya shoulder much?
  • PevMaster - January 15, 2012 8:38 a.m.

Yes, a massive chip.
  • garnsr - January 13, 2012 12:57 p.m.

The idea of finally being able to get trophies from a handheld is pretty enticing. It always seems like I'm wasting my time somehow playing PSP or DS. But I haven't seen any games I'm very interested in for the Vita yet. I'd love to have one, but I need a few games. So far the Cstlevania games have been what prompts me to buy a handheld, but I haven't heard of anything new on the Castlvania front for anything. Bummer.
  • samsneeze - January 13, 2012 12:51 p.m.

Maybe, I'll see once it has been out a while and memory card prices aren't trying to rob me of all my money and given the PSP's game library it doesn't leave much to look forward to. The 3DS was a healthy risk to take in buying because its predecessor's game library was something to be proud of, at least I think so.
  • kezins - January 13, 2012 12:45 p.m.

I've thought about getting a Vita, but honestly I already have too many portable game systems and I prefer to play console games. I already have a 3DS, PSP, iPhone and a Dingoo for my 8 and 16-bit pleasure. After a year or two, I may change my mind but I don't see a Vita in my near future, especially with the rip-off pricing of memory cards.
  • beezn - January 13, 2012 12:23 p.m.

I wanted to vote for "no, couldn't give a damn." but the box wasn't there.
  • HamsterGutz - January 13, 2012 12:05 p.m.

I don't have a use for handheld games anymore.
  • lilspooky - January 13, 2012 11:54 a.m.

I just picked up a 3ds and a dingoo, i really love zelda, but their arnt any other games i want at this time. I played a PSP in the past and was never impressed, hand cramps! I just dont know about the touch screen on the back, seems weird and not very intuitive. I havent used a vita myself, so i dont really know.
  • kezins - January 13, 2012 12:47 p.m.

How do you like your Dingoo? Personally I have a blast with mine. The d-pad kinda sucks on it, but it's still a lot of fun to play all the games from my childhood.
  • lilspooky - January 13, 2012 1:29 p.m.

Yeah i agree, the d-pad could be better, but it gets the job done. I hate the L and R buttons on the top, they are too small and hard to push. It plays NES, and GBA games the best. I love SNES, but the default emulator doesnt support mode 7 games (starfox, mario RPG). Im going to put linux (Dingux) on it one of these days so i can run a better emulator.
  • BackwaterRifle - January 13, 2012 11:11 a.m.

Got that 3DS, don't need a vita.
  • shawksta - January 13, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Hrm..... I really hope both 3DS and Psvita will show Phones what real quality games are.
  • shawksta - January 13, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Im planning, however not at launch, and as others state, it depends.
  • LSZ - January 13, 2012 10:38 a.m.

No. Zero interest in this or the 3DS. My Galaxy S2 phone serves me fine for portable gaming. When it comes to longer more involved games, I'd rather play them on my PS3/TV or one of the next-gen consoles whenever they come out.. I don't like playing handheld games for long periods of time so I would never want to spend $30+ on games for them. The smartphone companies have the portable gaming market down pretty well, IMO.
  • majorsuave - January 13, 2012 10:28 a.m.

Maybe, if the 3G (or is it 4G?) version is available through multiple carriers. I won't switch carriers for it. I live in Canada and am not interested in switching to Rogers.
  • FoxdenRacing - January 13, 2012 10:26 a.m.

It's nothing against the hardware itself, I just have no use for it. I do very little traveling (and when I do, I'm the one driving) and have a huge collection of 'full-size' gaming hardware, so don't need it for the living room. $300+ to play games on the porcelain throne is far too expensive for what I'm getting out of it. That and Sony has to regain my respect after the unbridled arrogance and terrible 'direction' decisions of Hirai-sama's predecessors. I'm willing to give the company 'another chance'...5th and 6th gen I was a stalwart PS supporter...but I'm not willing to give them another dime until I'm convinced they learned from those mistakes.
  • BladedFalcon - January 13, 2012 10:22 a.m.

Well. I'm interested in it, so I might get it eventually. but i'm waiting mainly for two things: -First, even though I think the launch price is reasonable, i live in Mexico, it's gonna be almost the double price over here when it launch. So if I ever consider getting it, it would be when i take a trip to the US possibly at the end of November. And even then, it will depend on: -If they get a decent, relatively steady catalog of good games by then. I mean, the launch line-up looks pretty solid, FAR better than the 3DS's at lest. But people thought the same thing about the PSP's (Myself included) And well... the system didn't keep up. So hopefully by November will see if Sony can pump out more games for it and not have a dry patch like the 3DS did. So yeah... it's gonna depend mainly on the games. Because right now, I think the PSV has to very BIG flaws: One: That ridiculously low battery life is just unforgivable on this day and age. I understand it's much more powerful, and thus can't expect it to have the same kind of battery a smart-phone has... But having an average life of 2-4 hours is still too damn laughable. And my other gripe with it is the proprietary memory cards. You just can't expect people to be happy about that when pretty much everyone with a smarthphone or camera already has cards that could be perfectly compatible with your device. It's like releasing a HDMI cable that's exclusive for your product or TV, when every other device can use any kind of HDMI cable.
  • ZenRobot - January 13, 2012 10:50 a.m.

that's just Sony proving once again that they hate consumers