Topics

editorial

• Sjoeki - August 28, 2013 1:54 p.m.

Could it be that nintendo is simply trying to save money? I'm not hating on the Wii U but the console isn't selling like Nintendo thought it would. Seems like they are stripping the 3DS from everything that isn't completely necessary, could be that they want to see the 3DS make more profit now that the Wii U is getting a price cut. A lot of people are gaming on tablets so why would they need the clamshell thing? A lot of people put the 3D slider on off and never touch it again, so why not make a version that doesn't have 3D, it could save Nintendo some money. The name they chose is once again stupid and will get a lot of the people they want to reach confused.
  • JarkayColt - August 28, 2013 2:23 p.m.

I agree with everything except the clamshell point. Smartphones and tablets only have one screen. The DS family and 3DS family relied on the clamshell design because there needed to be a very definitive split between the upper and lower screen, along with the fact that you can open it out into a larger viewing area, and then close it back up for portability. Makes a lot of sense. It also stops your DS/3DS from gathering smeary marks/scratches on the screen from your pocket or bag without using silly "screen protectors". But the 2DS? Putting both screens on one immovable surface just doesn't...well...it just looks really forced. Also, looks like Nintendo have made a carry case to protect it...which I'm guessing will be overpriced since they know you need it.
  • Redeater - August 28, 2013 1:38 p.m.

I'm gone for 3 weeks and I come back to this?? My plane went through some sort of bizarre portal while I was crossing the Atlantic right? I mean, this isn't real right? Unless this sells for 1/3 of the original price I can't even fathom why anyone would buy this. This type of crap is the reason why you see kids with iPhone/iTouchs instead of 3DS. The only people I have ever seen with 3DS's are aged 20+.
  • shawksta - August 28, 2013 1:28 p.m.

I agree The clamshell design was otherwise the best part about it. Oh well, also I really think the second circle pad is unnecessary, but that's just me.
  • BladedFalcon - August 28, 2013 4:11 p.m.

Kid Icarus says hi! You're kinda myopic if you think the 3DS doesn't need a second pad. It's been proven for 13 years or longer that if you want to control anything in 3D properly, you need an analog stick. AND if you want a game that moves in 3D AND also aims in 3D? you need two. And no, the touch-pad is not a good replacement. It's better than nothing, but it's not the same. And no, you can't even use the excuse that "it could split the market if developer use it" Because programing a game so it can use a second analog instead of a touch-pad shouldn't be too expensive nor difficult, thus, any game that uses the touch-pad to aim or camera control could be programed to use the circle pad pro as well.
  • Vonter - August 28, 2013 4:28 p.m.

Also don't forget pointer controls in the Wii, they're the better call in some games. Specially the shooting type. I will not argue about competitive multiplayer since I'm no expert but in single player is better than dual analog.
  • BladedFalcon - August 28, 2013 4:53 p.m.

I can't really weigh in there since I don't own a Wii. But if from the get go you're admitting they wouldn't be the better option in competitive multiplayer, then you're already admitting they are not as precise... Thus it's probably NOT better. Also, depending on how you're aiming it, it probably can tire or at least strain your arm and hand more than a thumb-stick ever would.
  • shawksta - August 28, 2013 5:36 p.m.

The only ever 10/10 motion justifying game for a shooter was Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy but for SOME reason, NOTHING is mimmicking it.
  • Vonter - August 28, 2013 5:46 p.m.

Could be but it's definitely getting better. At least in that last bit it has been becoming less strain for the arm. I rented CoD BO 2 and it felt more natural with the wiimote. Mianly just point and shoot. In most shooters I find it bothersome to be just centering the middle of the screen and having to lift ever so lightly the crosshair to shoot at the head. With the wiimote it felt more fast. On Neogaf they mainly complained about some games having to tweak the settings or not turning fast enough (Maybe a 180 button could fix this).
  • BladedFalcon - August 28, 2013 6:09 p.m.

Well, it just sounds more like a preference kind of thing then. I don't deny that using the Wii Mote can be a perfectly valid way to play. But as someone who values precision in gaming more than anything, unless they create a motion control that is JUST as precise and as fast as a mouse or an analog stick, I don't think I'm interested.
  • shawksta - August 28, 2013 5:35 p.m.

That is why i said "thats just me" because i already know that it would be more suited and people want it. I also said it because the majority of the games i play and the ones upcoming are fine and dont need a second pad, but thats because they were already built for it and i have gotten used to the camera in some games being handled with L and R that its my second nature. Otherwise there are games that wouldve benefitted greatly from it, i already mentioned Kid Icarus in another reply. Point in mind, there is an add on, garbage or not, developers need to use it more to show Nintendo that it would be helpful.
  • TheMcFinder - August 28, 2013 1:24 p.m.

That is just too funny. And accurate. I literally could not imagine a worse design for a dual screen handheld. It's pretty much the worst case scenario.
  • Vonter - August 28, 2013 6:55 p.m.

The virtual boy says hi. (That was marketed as a handheld)
  • Cyberninja - August 28, 2013 1:16 p.m.

its doesn't look that bad, but hey a new ds on the same day as pokemon and it does make sense name wise since its worse then the 3DS, the line goes DS -> DSi -> 2DS -> 3DS in terms of quality.
  • BladedFalcon - August 28, 2013 1:28 p.m.

The DS Lite is above and beyond of more quality than this, design-wise at least.
  • brickman409 - August 28, 2013 1:10 p.m.

I love how ugly it is
  • 8bitBaby - August 28, 2013 1:08 p.m.

hrm... you guys should do more radar reacts.
  • JarkayColt - August 28, 2013 12:54 p.m.

I can see why you might automatically think this is for children, but I don't think that's the full story. The introductory video shows two adults using it for starters. It is also not a device made for protecting children from exposure to 3D, because not only does the original 3DS have a depth slider, it can also be deactivated entirely in its settings. It would be pointless to make a new system just to enforce a setting that is already available as an option. The ONLY way to look at this is that Nintendo have made a budget version by stripping out a few features, the 3D, the hinge, and surround speakers. Weirdly it still takes 3D photos though. Like, the hell? Of course, it looks ugly, but that's what you expect from something more affordable, right? I guess it's okay; the worst parts are the name and general shape of it. Couldn't it have tapered a bit at the bottom?
  • BladedFalcon - August 28, 2013 1:08 p.m.

First news I get that Hinges are expensive... Honestly, you sound like you're defending it for defense's sake. Also, being cheaper doesn't necessarily equate being uglier. The GBA Micro was cheaper and smaller, and it tanked, but it wasn't ugly, just super small... Which is way more than you can say for this abomination. I mean, it's not just that it's fugly, how the heck is this supposed to be portable anymore? Unless you use super loose cholo pants with humongous pockets, this thing defeats the entire purpose of making a HANDHELD SYSTEM. Which is my biggest beef with it.
  • JarkayColt - August 28, 2013 1:31 p.m.

Well, I wasn't really saying a lack of hinges was due to cutting costs, rather that it conforms to that "cheap and nasty" vibe. It definitely is poorly designed and I didn't really want to sound like I was defending the thing. I said in the other article that it can't be comparable to the Micro because it certainly doesn't look portable, which I agree defeats the idea of a handheld first and Streetpass second. Plus it would probably snap in your pocket if you tried to sit down. I didn't want to repeat myself though. The Micro actually looked insanely cool whereas this reminds me of...uh...well, it'd be like holding a piece of toast with a screen on it. Everything about the design seems to accommodate the fact that the shoulder buttons are at the top, which is a STUPID place to put them considering the height of the thing. If everything had been squeezed towards the bottom they could have shaved a few millimeters off the sides and then it would only have been as pocket-unfriendly as the original Game Boy.