Topics

gen next

• ObliqueZombie - February 6, 2013 8:01 a.m.

If this IS true, WiiU and PC it is for life it is.
  • sandplasma - February 6, 2013 7:49 a.m.

That's ashame because I was finally going to break out of my sony bonds to buy Xbox for next gen. I'll stick with Sony once again.
  • taokaka - February 6, 2013 7:42 a.m.

I call bullshit because just last month sony patented being a colossal dick. But seriously, I don't think microsoft is dumb enough to test their luck relying on the xbox brand alone to sell their next console seeing as it seems they've just been messing with their fans in the last couple of years. They're going to need to impress in order to be successful and win over anybody who isn't already a fanboy and this isn't the way to do it.
  • bamit11 - February 6, 2013 7:35 a.m.

If this is true, I am defininitly buying Wii U no matter how much more powerful the next Xbox is.
  • RajXenoeph - February 6, 2013 7:32 a.m.

and they expect you to shovel out $400-$500 on this, also goodbye gamefly, never used them anyway their commercials always annoyed me. the way they could "possibly" fix this is if they allow very good demos to be downloaded and played.
  • austin-fields - February 6, 2013 7:32 a.m.

honestly i saw something like this coming. not exactly this (cant predict future) but something similar.
  • doominatorx6 - February 6, 2013 7:21 a.m.

The persistent internet connection is something I'm mixed on. I for one NEVER play my Xbox offline and have it always connected, so it doesn't effect me. In fact, wild guess here, but I'd say 90% of Xbox owners DO play with a connection, so they're catering to the majority here. Blocking used games though? That's just greedy. The Online Pass mechanic was smarter than that.
  • clownferret - February 6, 2013 7:04 a.m.

can't believe microsoft would get away with this, but then again all you suckers that pay £40 every year to play xbox online would no doubt happily get mugged off all over again.
  • Robx - February 6, 2013 7:04 a.m.

Come on, it's not April yet, quit joking.
  • ZuzuPachulia - February 6, 2013 6:59 a.m.

And guess what? They're probably gonna charge you monthly just to play anything on there. I really don't know, if this is true this is just going to make problems for everybody. Here's my reasoning, less people are going to buy this console, meaning even less games will be bought as well. So the profits they are trying to make for developers by forcing people to buy new games are already gone. This is just stupid.
  • theycallmegep - February 6, 2013 6:54 a.m.

So now me and my brother cant share video games anymore? thats stupid...after super smash u and mario kart u come out, the wii u might be the last console i ever buy -_-
  • AqueousBoy - February 6, 2013 6:50 a.m.

I have a hard time believing this. There's still a significant number of people in the US, and the rest of the world for that matter, who don't have broadband access. And if you consider EU court decisions on reselling games, Microsoft could be shutting themselves out of Europe altogether. I get that they want to have as much control as possible over their product but this is taking it to another level I'm highly skeptical of.
  • winner2 - February 6, 2013 6:43 a.m.

The end is nigh
  • KA87 - February 6, 2013 6:33 a.m.

Well ain't that a kick in the teeth. Hopefully no one will buy a 720 to teach them a lesson for killing the used games market and for a forced always on DRM (the constant internet conection).
  • Tjwoods18 - February 6, 2013 6:32 a.m.

Way to try and lose customers. We are not in that age were internet usage is universal.
  • iluvpkmnmonday - February 6, 2013 6:29 a.m.

Nextbox - no poor people allowed
  • pinoklin - February 6, 2013 6:26 a.m.

well this is a dick move coming from microsoft. i for one have never hooked my xbox online and i feel betrayed by microsoft by being forced to hook it up online. killing the used game market for the 360 is also not a good move, many people begin their experience with some franchises through used games. they might not be willing to pay full money for the new game if they are completely strange to it.