Topics

gen next

• talleyXIV - February 6, 2013 4:46 p.m.

Microsoft has a chance to win the next generation...... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's gone. No used games? Duh-uhm, what the fuck is wrong with you? WHAT DID USED GAMES EVER DO TO ANYONE? NOW WE CAN NEVER SELL OUR GAMES BACK FOR ANYTHING AND ONLY BUY THEM FOR $60. Does anyone else think there can absolutely be no truth to this?
  • kellerrr - February 6, 2013 7:56 p.m.

Actually, used games are part of the reason why companies like THQ (Saints Row), Hudson Soft (Bomberman), and 18 other gaming companies just this year shut down. Big box companies like Activision will have no problem because they have things like Call of Duty and Skylanders, but just below their level are companies that are struggling to stay alive. Think about it, when you buy a used game, does that company make any money off of it? No. I pay people for the work that they do. I respect gaming too much.
  • talleyXIV - February 7, 2013 5:11 p.m.

If your games are good enough and you deserve it, you will survive. THQ was a sad exception but they did release a lot of terrible shit as well. Sure it is sad seeing game companies come and go but you can't blame it on us, seriously. Very few great games sell terribly, like once every 5 years do we have a well-advertised, well done, and critically renowned game get entirely rejected by commercial people. Losing jobs is bad, by the same logic tons of second hand gaming stores would be absolutely tarnished by this new plan, and how would rental stores or Gamefly work anymore? Gamestop probably the biggest second hand dealer would probably be destroyed because there would be no point to going to a game store where there were no marked down used game because Wal-Mart has the same game for the same price along with whatever other shit you want to buy. Seriously, nothing can be said that will ever justify such a rash and brutal thing to gamers. $60 for every game new? And if I don't like it the only option is to hold on it to it and use it to dry my tears? Thank God Nintendo already released the Wii U because if this shit is true, you'll know where to find me and what I'll be playing my used games on.
  • lizardman725 - February 6, 2013 4:39 p.m.

there's a rumor that PS4 will do this to. Guess what people Rumors are nearly always false. Banning used games would results in a huge loss of possible profit for both Microsoft and Sony. If the made it require internet, then that's another huge loss for possible profit. Not every one has internet so. What does big businesses love........MONEY!!!!!!!!
  • Frieza - February 6, 2013 3:22 p.m.

So if they want to block all used games as well as require an online connection to use the system, why not make all the games digital?
  • TBone4Ever - February 6, 2013 2:56 p.m.

Stupid AND selfish I you ask me. I mean where does Microshaft/Phony think that they are going to benefit from all of this? If they do this, count me out of buying these future consoles!!
  • Sovtek - February 6, 2013 2:02 p.m.

I refuse to buy any console that is going to block used games. If I wanted to fuck off with DRM, account restrictions, and forced connectivity, I would stick with Steam. At least on Steam you can expect steep discounts to offset the hassle; DRM isn't so bad when you take 75% off the price tag. But expecting me to pay full price for this contrived shit, and then expecting me to be happy with already antiquated hardware, and lack of modification/extensibility support? Pffff I got ball each for Sony and Microsoft's chins. How about I take that $400 I would blow on a console and get myself a new GTX 680? I think that would last me a while...
  • lordgodalming - February 6, 2013 4:05 p.m.

Not only that, I've read a couple places that next-gen games will cost more than $60. Ridiculous.
  • lizardman725 - February 6, 2013 4:41 p.m.

That is possible because games will most likely have to be put onto Blue -Ray discs because a modern CD cannot hold alot of info. Thats why you see multiple discs for a game. O and so people knw yes the knew xbox will have a Bue-Ray system in it. How i do not know.
  • talleyXIV - February 6, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Well PS3 has Blu-Ray and their games cost $60. Switching to a disc they should have been on the whole time is no excuse for raising the already ridiculous prices at which games sell.
  • EternityUnknown - February 6, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Microsoft (and vg companies in general) are delusional if they think that used games hurt their sales. Between people that get into series due to used games (for me both Prototype and God of War, as well as others I'm sure), and selling games in order to buy new games, it's much more beneficial to allow used games to work. Granted, this is still just a rumor, and it was a rumor that the PS3 had as well. If it does come to fruition, I won't be buying an Xbox though.
  • Kinara - February 6, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Why are people acting as if this is real? It's a damn rumor that we've also been hearing for the ps3 for the last like, who knows how long.. They aren't stupid enough to do this.
  • Darth Olds - February 6, 2013 12:58 p.m.

The article just says sources. Who are your sources Edge magazine? How do you know the sources are even right? I tend to not believe anything unnamed sources say anyhow. For all we know these sources could be from Sony or Nintendo or some other group just trying to start something. In this day and age there are to many reporters and journalists that do not fact check or verify their stories all in the name to get it out there first and thus get ratings, numbers or whatever it is they are using as a goal.
  • Tranquilbez34 - February 6, 2013 11:23 a.m.

Oh for fuck sakes, what's with the obsession with banning used games! I've said it once and i'll say it again, This will kill game retailers! Don't do it Sony and Microsoft, bad idea
  • mallory-percival - February 6, 2013 11:18 a.m.

I am curious what this means for the rental market (someone here might even know), will they produce rental disks that circumvent this? Produce disks that Lovefilm etc.. have to provide codes for? Or are the days of rental dead along with this announcment...
  • Unoriginal - February 6, 2013 10:09 a.m.

The console better be bloody amazing if they expect us to swallow this shit.
  • Silvercloak - February 6, 2013 9:35 a.m.

If this is true, I'm not buying a console again until they amend this piss poor idea of customer service.
  • Child Of Death - February 6, 2013 9:35 a.m.

There is no way they can be that stupid can they? If they do that than I gurantee sales will be absoutely horrible. Might be a good time to invest in a Wii U now
  • RonnyLive19881 - February 6, 2013 9:23 a.m.

Welp, they tenically lost me as a customer when I stopped letting myself get scammed by a Gold Membership but now they have lost me forever Lmao MS screwed the pooch on this one.
  • RonnyLive19881 - February 6, 2013 9:27 a.m.

*omg the spelling errors
  • Bloodstorm - February 6, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Isn't this the same story we have seen about every 3 months for the past 3-4 years about the next generation of consoles? Can this stop being a story until the consoles come out, and if it is true, then make a story about it?
  • ultimatepunchrod - February 6, 2013 8:12 a.m.

I'm gonna be in denial until this is official. I buy most games new anyway though, so this doesn't hurt too bad, but what's going to happen when the generation after next comes? Are they going to keep these online services running, so you can keep playing the games? History shows us that they won't, so after this console eventually becomes obsolete, then the system is worthless. That, to me, is the biggest indicator that this may not be true.