• HybridSteel - March 21, 2013 11:59 a.m.

sounds a bit sus to me, if you cannot play pre owned games then people will be more vigilant about buying new games forcing the games market to crash..... band just to piss on their own grave already by adding this online code thingy what about the people who play xbox offline only due to the speed of their connection.... This is also rumored for the ps4 aswell so technically their both gonna kill the market for new games....
  • Daman90 - March 26, 2013 9:53 p.m.

No, PS4 won't do this. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a460484/ps4-playstation-4-will-not-block-pre-owned-games.html
  • APerfidiousDane - March 21, 2013 11:08 a.m.

If it's online only and doesn't allow the use of used titles they are going to fuck up big time.
  • Child Of Death - March 21, 2013 10:43 a.m.

Welp, if this is the case than I'll just take my money to Sony
  • TristanPR77 - March 21, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Microsoft nexbox have received a lot of negative response from all the leaks. If even 50% of these leaks are confirmed, Microsoft will have a very hard time with their new console.
  • djsn1per - March 21, 2013 9:52 a.m.

Always online is such a deal-breaker. I know many people (myself included), who don't or can't always have access to high-speed internet (rural Colorado). I don't need to be on the internet to enjoy Skyrim, Bioshock, etc etc, so why make it mandatory? So far I've been very underwhelmed by the direction that the PS4 and potentially the Xbox are taking (decision to be made after the reveal to get full info). I may just stick with my PC this generation or get a new console if/when it becomes worth it.
  • TristanPR77 - March 21, 2013 10:13 a.m.

PS4 online is not required is optional. You complain about always on connection but then say will stick with PC that for a long time most of the games require an always online connection. You are crazy.
  • djsn1per - March 21, 2013 10:29 a.m.

Didn't say the PS4 was only online. And actually no, you don't often need an always on connection for PC games, even after download you can play Steam games offline. But thanks for calling me crazy. The new SimCity is really one of the few always online PC games. But yes, games like WoW are inherently always online.
  • KishouTenpi - March 21, 2013 9:38 a.m.

In this day and age most people have internet so I can see why it's a plausible ask but it isn't a sensible business plan, streaming for the PS4 will also be awful if you don't have fibre-optic since many of us don't... Leaks and announcements for the next generation have really started to worry me
  • PlainLikeVanilla - March 21, 2013 9:14 a.m.

Man if this leak is true they have shot themselves in the foot for next gen. At least this will be easier on my wallet.
  • FoxdenRacing - March 21, 2013 8:35 a.m.

This is asking for trouble in a big way. The outrage won't build initially [too many dyed-in-the-wool types that don't read the news, and will go 'oooh! New xbox!'], but soon enough. Spurning retail renters alone may be enough to sink MS's ship in the 8th. If MS makes the move to lock out used entirely, the retail renters will find out they can't sell their games back...and these are the guys that only buy new *because* they can play it, sell it back, and be out $10-$15 for the experience. When they realize they're now on the hook for $60 instead of $10-$15, they're going to be a lot more careful about what they buy. That's going to be a massive ripple effect through the AAA side of the industry, as their most high-volume customers see their number of purchases cut by 75-84%...and may be enough to single-handedly pop the hyper-budget bubble. The more I hear about the stunts being pulled in the 8th, the more I'm trending towards going "home"...back to PC for the meaty stuff, and Nintendo for local multi. The game install one sorta makes sense...the #2 point of failure on the Xbox 360 was the optical drive, especially for the early production runs...but at a potential 25gb per game [assuming single-layer BRD], that's gonna fill up quick. Even if it ships with 1TB of free space, less than half of my X360 library could be on it at any one time. The only thing we can hope for there is that with BRD's awful read speeds a lion's share of the disc content is redundant data, placed to keep load times down, and could be safely discarded. Always online? Nope, sorry. Dealbreaker. I don't turn on my Xbox to tweetbook and friendface. I turn it on to play games. I don't log into Live for a 'comprehensive multimedia experience'. I log in because it's an adequate substitution for Ventrilo, and allows me to play games with the people I enjoy playing games with. Plus, I'm an adult with a career and a family scattered to the winds. My Xbox isn't always in a place that's connected to the net just at home...and it's never on the 'net when I travel, which is every holiday at the bare minimum.
  • Boonehams - March 21, 2013 8:25 a.m.

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA! Oh man! Woo! HA-HA-HA! ...Yeah, no.
  • Z-man427 - March 21, 2013 8:14 a.m.

I'm jumping ship to Sony. The PS4 has me excited. The NextBox has me worried.
  • AqueousBoy - March 21, 2013 8:03 a.m.

MIcrosoft has every chance to change some of these requirements and features up to the reveal, or even up to the launch. They may very well do that, and for their sake, I hope they do. The market has too many options, and people really are willing to jump ship even if they've gamed exclusively on a 360 for years.
  • Frieza - March 21, 2013 7:54 a.m.

Because online-only works so well, right? I wasn't going to buy a new Xbox anyway, considering you have to play a subscription to play online. I can't wait to see Microsoft's new method of pulling money out of our pockets for something other companies give us for free.
  • Doctalen - March 21, 2013 7:20 a.m.

Well looks like I'll stick to my PC. Loved my 360 but nothing is really drawing me in here. The PS4 and Durango don't spark my interest. Especially with this connection crap, take a que from EA, always online requirements aren't that good. If you fuck up with that, be prepared for refunds.
  • minigamer83 - March 21, 2013 7:05 a.m.

The more I read about the next Xbox, the more I want to buy a PS4.
  • bass88 - March 21, 2013 6:01 a.m.

You know, this could just mean that when the console is off it will still remain connected to the internet allowing for automatic updates. I wouldn't get too alarmed yet.
  • Rowdie - March 21, 2013 8:11 a.m.

Of course that's what it means. Rejoice! No more waiting for console to boot. No more storing a bunch of optical discs. No, dang it kids, I've told you to put my game back in the drive when you're done. No more waiting for system updates, and game updates to load. In fact, get rid of the optical drive altogether. MS and I can split the share that used to go to retailers.
  • rasiel-rodriguez - March 21, 2013 8:22 a.m.

You know my ps3 already does automatic updates at around 4am also I wonder how they were able to make it so silent, because I saw it in action one night im assuming it doesnt power unnecessary components but if thats what the next xbox is going for that its something the 360 should of had already....