• ObliqueZombie - May 30, 2013 1:36 p.m.

You forgot JJ Abrams flicks... Oh wait, wrong medium.
  • archnite - May 30, 2013 2:42 p.m.

He did have that one level in Portal 2 in the Extras...
  • GoldenEagle1476 - May 30, 2013 1:25 p.m.

I had trouble getting into Oblivion because of the terrible lighting. Another game that was pretty bad was Spec Ops: The Line.
  • ObliqueZombie - May 30, 2013 1:34 p.m.

To Spec Ops' defense, many areas were set inside a neon-lit building in the middle of the night,
  • archnite - May 30, 2013 2:43 p.m.

Plus I think they were trying to get across how fucking hot the desert is.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - May 30, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Forgot to mention it but that tagline made me laugh so well done.
  • Doctalen - May 30, 2013 12:54 p.m.

Halo 4 should have been at the top of the list, any level with the Forerunner Prometheans was nothing but bloom with bloomy guns. I forgot the name of the level (I believe the last or second to last) where you had to stop the crazy guy burning Earth, I could only beat it with some sunglasses on.
  • Bloodstorm - May 30, 2013 1:38 p.m.

Another reason I hate Halo 4. As I played it, every level was a strain to try and differentiate enemies in the distance from the ungodly lighting 343 used to hide the flat, lifeless textures they slapped everywhere. Halo 4 burned this Halo fan good. I was going to refute Alan Wake (I've recently played through it due to the Humble Bundle) but then I remembered every light post I stood in becoming an impenetrable wall of light that I couldn't see beyond. So, it was a bit annoying, but the game was mostly not in the light.
  • Bloodstorm - May 30, 2013 1:39 p.m.

Why did it post my comment underneath yours? GR is messed up.
  • Bloodstorm - May 30, 2013 1:40 p.m.

Holy crap, it did it again.........
  • archnite - May 30, 2013 2:44 p.m.

AND AGAIN! wait I'm not you.
  • mafyooz - May 30, 2013 12:41 p.m.

I don't recall Enslaved having any harsh lighting effects, especially not compared to games like Mass Effect, which I totally expected to make an appearance on here! And "magical land filled with neon green vegetation" beats the crap out of the usual "It's post-apocalypse so everything must be varying degrees of brown" stance developers normally take. Hey-ho, best play it again in the interest of research... :)
  • J-Fid - May 30, 2013 1:52 p.m.

I agree with this. Nothing more boring than the brown post-apocalyptic worlds in every other game.
  • brickman409 - May 30, 2013 3:54 p.m.

yeah, the lighting in enslaved was cool. Its bright and green, but that gave the game a unique visual style.
  • Sinosaur - May 30, 2013 12:36 p.m.

After getting a new computer, I logged back into Star Trek Online to see what things looked like at high level graphics instead of minimal. Standing around on DS9, I apparently walked under an overhead light, because my face disappeared. Then I learned the joy of messing with options of computer games and turned the bloom down to about 30% to make it so that not every light looked like the sun.
  • JarkayColt - May 30, 2013 12:29 p.m.

I hate when games abuse lighting effects like this. I actually found Battlefield 3 unplayable because of it. I can't explain it, but it just makes my eyes feel really...lost. You end up being subjected to a sort of sensory overload and it's actually kind of...disorienting. Some games are too "high definition" for their own good.
  • talleyXIV - May 30, 2013 2:03 p.m.

I felt that too. I loved Bad Company 2 but Battlefield 3 really just turned me off because it was simply dizzying.
  • JarkayColt - May 30, 2013 2:28 p.m.

Yeah, it's such a shame, too. I played the hell out of both Bad Company games both in single player and online, but I just couldn't bring myself to sit down in front of BF3 for more than 15 minutes JUST because of that overwhelming lighting. It might seem a bit petty, but still, I couldn't stand it.
  • Sy87 - May 30, 2013 12:24 p.m.

Ha, proof that the sun is trying to kill you.
  • Talvari - May 30, 2013 11:54 a.m.

I had a serious issue with Tera onlines lighting effects. It was a particular video setting that you could switch on and off fortunately. Only game to ever hurt my eyes if i look at it for too long, was fine once i turned it off ><.