• JumpierPhoenix - June 2, 2013 4:17 p.m.

I'm surprised they didn't talk about the zerg at all in this article.
  • Bones96 - June 1, 2013 9:15 p.m.

Humans didn't populate a world that didn't belong to them in Gears of War. Unless there was something I misunderstood in the story. But I really don't think I did.
  • avantguardian - June 2, 2013 1:20 a.m.

i don't resemble anything close to a gears fan, and this was my understanding as well. they 'belonged' to sera as much as we 'belong' to the earth. the quotes serve merely to point out that we, in fact, have no idea where we came from. so we could REALLY be pissing off the insect population as we speak. ;)
  • Bones96 - June 3, 2013 11:09 p.m.

SPOILER The games themselves never outright said exactly what the locust were or came from but there are clues left throughout the games. That the locusts are the offspring of lambent humans. Or the "Sires". The first were created by human experiments at New Hope. There's a much more in depth explanation here: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/890098-Origins-of-the-Locust-A-study-of-the-Lambent-the-Sires-the-Locust-and-Myrrah?s=f7834d908ba8977bddd5627ed8d7d6bd
  • avantguardian - June 3, 2013 11:52 p.m.

yeah, i played the second one, i liked it well enough. the emulsion had a big role in that, as i recall. the history of humans there always seemed like our history, is all i was saying. not a big relocation or terraform.:)
  • PatHan-bHai - June 1, 2013 1:11 p.m.

Last slide was frikiiiiiiiiiiing hilarious! :D
  • N7Spartan95 - June 1, 2013 12:15 p.m.

"... eradicating entire races for the sake of 'good' (Mass Effect)..." When the hell has this ever happened in Mass Effect? To my knowledge, the Alliance was never responsible for genocide of another race. You might be talking about Cerberus, but even they never went that far. The only thing I can think of that would apply would be a few choices Shepard has the option of taking in regards to the rachni, genophage, and the quarian/geth conflict, but that's all up to player choice and the commander can just as easily take a course of action that doesn't end in genocide. I'm confused here.
  • Bloodstorm - June 1, 2013 2:44 p.m.

Agreed. Technically, I saved every race in the known galaxy.
  • BladedFalcon - June 1, 2013 7:34 p.m.

I think they probably ARE referring to the optional choices. I mean, optional or not, Shepard can potentially destroy 3 entire alien species in one playtrough, Rachni, Geth and Reapers. OH! And he also eradicates the collectors, and that one isn't optional.
  • N7Spartan95 - June 1, 2013 7:54 p.m.

So wiping out the Collectors, a race responsible for the abduction of entire human colonies and the use of their organic material to construct a proto-Reaper, as well as wiping out the Reapers themselves, a machine race responsible for the extinction of all galactic civilization 20,000+ times over, makes humanity a parasite? If that's GR's logic in this, I question their judgment. I get that it'd be wrong to condemn the krogan, rachni, quarians or geth to extinction, but the Collectors and Reapers were monsters that needed to be put down because they were a threat to ALL life in the galaxy, not just humanity.
  • BladedFalcon - June 1, 2013 8:11 p.m.

Not if you think of the reapers as the supposed "shepherds" of the Galaxy as the Guardian of the Crucible said they were :P Sure, I personally think that's bollocks, but it doesn't change the fact that depending from which point of view you saw it, SOMEONE would think Humanity was in the wrong there :P
  • N7Spartan95 - June 1, 2013 8:29 p.m.

I guess you have a point concerning different points of view. After all, villains don't see themselves as villains; they always assume they're doing good, even if what they're doing is evil from our viewpoint. Nevertheless, I have no regrets about destroying the Reapers in every last one of my playthroughs (the Catalyst can go fuck itself) besides the fact that EDI and the geth become casualties, which sucks because I like both of them. If I could destroy the Reapers without destroying all synthetics, I would be shooting that tube with absolute glee every single time. As is, I will still shoot the tube, but it'll be bittersweet.
  • BladedFalcon - June 1, 2013 8:46 p.m.

There you go. To you, that's always the right choice, but you can bet that there would be plenty others that would see you as a monster, making desicions of such scale without consulting other species. Which is often what Sci-Fi uses to demonize humans in the face of other races. So in that sense, GR definitely has a point :P
  • N7Spartan95 - June 1, 2013 8:58 p.m.

I see your point, but all the races in the galaxy put their money on the Crucible so it would destroy the Reapers. Not control the Reapers, not cause some bullshit synthesis, DESTROY the Reapers. To me, Shepard was just doing what the galaxy expected of him/her.
  • Bloodstorm - June 1, 2013 9:47 a.m.

It's not that there isn't a cure to the Flood, it's just that the Forerunner, in all the benevolence, pounded humanity into the ground, devolved them back into monkeys, and then realized humanity had found the cure but it was a little too late by then.
  • srbingham - June 3, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Except they didn't, not really. Primordium and Silentium outline that the Flood "chose" to not infect humans to give the appearance of them having found a "cure" so that the Forerunners wouldn't annihilate them, fitting into the Precursors' plan to A) pass on the Mantle to humanity if they passed their "tests." And B) Use humanity as a weapon against the Forerunners as revenge for wiping out the Precursors.
  • Bloodstorm - June 3, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Ah, I haven't read Silentium yet, and am only half way through Primoridium (it is a slog to read) so I'm working on dated information. I thought Halo 4 had a blurb in it about Humans having a Flood cure, guess the Forerunner have no clue they didn't?
  • srbingham - June 3, 2013 11:48 a.m.

Sorry about that. I kinda just spoilered the ending of Primordium, actually. I had trouble with that read one, tbh, I've reread Cryptum and Silentium a couple times, they flow well, but Primordium only once. Frankly, Chakas' story is basically really boring until the last 5 chapters then it's a glorious infodump via "Expositionsplosion."