We Recommend

• Baron164 - July 12, 2011 11:39 a.m.

That's hilarious, unfortunately my pc won't be able to run Battlefield 3. Still not planning on picking up MW3 though.
  • Yaro - July 12, 2011 11:20 a.m.

Exactly my thoughts. Battlefield's got huge..erm...battlefields and CoD has smaller twitch centric arenas, I like both, so I'm looking forward to both of these games. Interested to see the response from Activision.
  • Mooshon - July 12, 2011 10:59 a.m.

That is a brilliant gag. Kudos to that fanboy! Looks like it was only registered in mar 09, so you would have thought Activision would have had more forsight. Anyone seen the .co.uk version. Even better!
  • DrizztP - July 12, 2011 10:47 a.m.

There is no such thing as bad publicity. A open confilct between EA and Activision over who the winner will be will be good for both companies. I hope Activision play along and don't take it persaonally with court cases and the like.
  • quincytheodore - July 12, 2011 10:45 a.m.

Wonder if someone will buy out Elder Scroll 6 Final Fantasy 15, Madden 2013 etc...
  • TheExperience420 - July 12, 2011 10:38 a.m.

Hahaha thats funny. Can't wait for Battlefield 3, probably won't buy MW3.
  • jmcgrotty - July 12, 2011 10:35 a.m.

Hmm... And I question that EA did this. modernwarfare3.com was registered anonymously through domainsbyproxy.com. In the past, EA has always registered under their own company. Wouldn't have any reason to hide that they owned the name. And strike what I said before. Yes, there is a legit argument that can be made that the using of the address to redirect traffic is a copyright infringement (which may be why EA didn't register it in their own name). Would they win? Not sure. But if Dice could prove that EA used the redirect as an attempt to deceive Modern Warfare consumers and in an effort to steal business, that would be problematic. One thing I don't know either way. Are just the words "Modern Warfare 3" copyright protected? Looking at the official site, I did notice that "Modern warfare" is a registered trademark, but "Modern Warfare 3" doesn't appear to be as a whole. Might be a loophole.
  • Slayer11496 - July 12, 2011 10:28 a.m.

actually, it was a modern warfare 3 hater(battlefield fan?) who made the setup. still means war though...
  • EnigmaSpirit - July 12, 2011 10:22 a.m.

@jmcgrotty: I couldn't have said it better. These are both just gritty war shooter number 927563 and 927564 in my book.
  • Wizvince - July 12, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Smart move XD Wierd that it take you to a different page thou ?
  • PureDarkness - July 12, 2011 10:19 a.m.

I reckon this won't be EA, and this guy agrees http://www.thenmn'com/eaisnotusingcheap (put htm on the end) I know that's not definitive but I just don't think EA would be caught doing this. It was probably just a fanboy
  • chrisat928 - July 12, 2011 10:16 a.m.

A hacker did it.
  • humpiedumpie - July 12, 2011 10:15 a.m.

They really want a BF3 - MW3 war.. but the games are actually, really different from each other. Any way, funny move EA, nicely done :)
  • RacattackForce - July 12, 2011 10:15 a.m.

I heard on Kotaku that it was a rabid COD hater that bought the url.
  • jmcgrotty - July 12, 2011 10:13 a.m.

That is just awesome. I hate both games/franchises/companies (we are talking about FPS, after all), but that is just hillarious. And no, in no way, shape or form is that copyright infringement. At least as I understand it. Got me curious about it, though.
  • Ampatent - July 12, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Someone certainly cashed in...