• DannyIcefire - July 27, 2011 6:07 p.m.

I don't usually read the comments here before I post, mainly because I don't really care as to what the general populace has to say about things they have little to no knowledge of. Today was different, I read them... all 65 that were before mine. All I am going to say about these peoples opinions are that they are entitled to them. However as a MegaMan fan, I stopped trying to get into the series after X6. More of the same, less innovation. I will say that even with the bad controls of the Playstation era Legends games I would have loved to see a new Legends game on a HD system that has better controls. Hell at this point I would shell out $10-$15 for a downloadable HD remake of either Legends game. When they decided that this game would be best suited for a new device that was, at best, a flawed piece of equipment when first released (lets face it, a portable game device should get 10-20 hours of gameplay on a single charge these days) was not a good idea. I would love to find out in a few months that Capcom decided to pull the plug for that reason, and quietly was developing it for consoles because the engine could be used for other games and such. Comparing MegaMan to Sonic is kinda flawed, but you can make an argument to support it. The biggest flaw I can point out is that after Sega died in the console market all they had was Sonic. I don't know of any other former console company that had to rely on one property to keep the company alive. Capcom has Street Fighter, it has Resident Evil, it has enough intellectual properties to create Capcom vs games. To say Mega Man is the mascot of the company is to go back to when there were no other good games made by Capcom in the late 80's. I personally can not wait till TalkRadr 168 to hear the guys give their take on it. To be honest, I am glad that this Editorial was written. To have people that might know more than the people commenting on this site is always welcome in my humble opinion. Oh and before I forget, if Mega Man Legends 3 is dead, and Capcom is as money hungry as Sega has been with Sonic, I see no reason to not license the property out to someone who could make a decent novel from the plot. Just to give closure to the fans who, like me, enjoy a damn good story in their game. Oh I did forget, the real victim here is Megaman Universe. That game looked to be a reinvention of the 2d sidescroler genera. Complete customization from level design to the character's abilities and power-ups. That game could have been something great, and it probably could have been ported to all consoles and handhelds... maybe even iOS and android. In the end Capcom is a business, and as such they have to answer to shareholders and the public. The shareholders want the max profit, and the public want the max product irregardless of price. That is the way of the world.
  • MattOfSteel - July 27, 2011 5:31 p.m.

I'm confused. A simple Google search tells me that Sonic has appeared (playable) in 65 titles. Megaman has appeared in over a hundred. How exactly has Megaman not been whored out as much as Sonic?
  • Nikku7 - July 27, 2011 5:18 p.m.

I totally agree with this, but it is sad that it couldn't have ended with Legends 3 and Universe. I liked legends and was actually pretty excited about this one and Universe just sounded like a really awesome idea, but then again as was said, it could have been terrible just like the many experimental sonic games.
  • Syncmaster - July 27, 2011 5:14 p.m.

the problem is... executives make games nowdays, not game makers. They think the blue robot wont give that much money, axe it, they dont even know his name. same thing with movies. but unlike movies, where you can grab a camera and make a film with very little cost, games cost a lot anyways.. so, cult hits keep vanishing. Also, I dont thins Legends going off is any good. It was a great series, with nowdays controls it would be perfect.
  • shawksta - July 27, 2011 4:30 p.m.

I just wanna say something real quick, dont wanna go into too much detail, but Megaman Legends 3 is technically better off on 3DS than anything else. Sounds wierd but considering the circumstances this generation and each console, it will make allot of sense. Being on the 3DS is a good thing so dont troll with excuses that its the reason it wont do good, but its cancelled so it wont matter now.
  • profile0000 - July 27, 2011 3:26 p.m.

Good article, Mr. Sterling. I see your point. I have enjoyed the work you have done for GR lately.
  • WTeen8 - July 27, 2011 3:19 p.m.

I'm gonna start and say Megaman isn't dead. He had like what, 2 games cancelled this year? 2 games, it's not like they cancelled too many. Also I never cared about MML3. Maybe if he does come back it will be for nostalgia. (MMX9?) Maybe they'll make a completely new one, like a Megaman FPS. (Which either be the best thing to happen to the series like Metroid Prime) or kill megaman completely. (Like Shadow the Hedgehog) Or something else. Let's hope for the best. Oh and Capcom, UMVC3 had better get DLC. How could you not include him? HOW!?
  • TheValiantBob - July 27, 2011 2:27 p.m.

Don't worry guys, he'll hide himself while he tries to repair himself!
  • Beefcube - July 27, 2011 1:44 p.m.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for fans to be kind of angry right now. This is a series that many of us have loved since we were children, and it's all but dead now. Of course we're going to be kind of angry for a while. We need to get out our frustration in some way. Also, I don't see where the comparison to Sonic is coming from. Granted, the series had a similar phase a while back, but lately the games had been improving again. Mega Man 9 and 10, I think, were the best in the classic series since 2 and 3. Maybe without Inafune, the quality would have dropped again, but there's no reason to assume so.
  • shihe - July 27, 2011 1:43 p.m.

One more thing... two to three games every year... Yeah, like Marvel VS Capcom 3? Or those Resident Evil spinoffs? Or those Street Fighter releases/re-releases? Please... Megaman had gams MUCH further apart. At LEAST once a year. You can't count StarForce in the same wagon as Megaman 9 or 10 because they were destined for two completely different markets. Again, stop with the hipocricy.
  • Aletheon - July 27, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Sonic should die before Mega Man. Plus, all this talk of him being dead is stupid. They will make a game with him in it again. Duh.
  • shihe - July 27, 2011 1:32 p.m.

I don't even know where to BEGIN with such a blatantly biased and poorly informed article. Let's see... Ok, step by step. Your poor comparison to ANOTHER mascot you seem to despise. Sonic. -The problem with Sonic the Hedgehog is basically that it has a huge fanbase, and SEGA is always in the infinite struggle to please both old and new fans. Because EVERY Sonic game released is so different from the prior one, every game divides the fanbase some more. This is NOT the case with Megaman because every new game is a direct evolution of a past game. (Classic > X > Zero > ZX > ZXA) And every game has a recurring, consisting formula. Also, Capcom CAN handle a Megaman engine well. SEGA can't do that with Sonic as they see fit to change the gameplay every single time. Stop comparing them, they're leagues apart. I can tell you that as a fan of both (Classic) Sonic and Megaman. - Secondly. For that part about there being "not enough fans" get your facts straight. NOBODY KNEW A DAMN THING because it wasn't marketted enough (or not marketted at all). Some people didn't even KNOW this game was being made until it was cancelled! Others, like me, didn't know it was a MUST to work in the Devroom. If I, and many others, would've known all this, things would be different, and the project would still be underway. -- Now about him having two or three "stellar title". What.. the... heck? Megaman 2 and 3. Megaman X 1 though 4. Megaman Zero 1 though 4 and the collection. Megaman ZX is a bit of an exhausted formula, but a lot of fans of the prior mentioned still liked it, same with ZXA. Sorry, but it is evident that you deny how successful the FLAGSHIP MASCOT truly was. I admit Legends didn't sell well enough (even Inafune himself said this) but you can't call the entire franchise a failure, sorry. If Sonic is more popular, it's because it had a better cartoon to market it to kids, and is an easier franchise for them to pick up and play (kids aren't much into 2D gaming). There, I'm done. Hopefully next time you guys will investigate things all the way through before posting blatant flamebait. I admit I never really respected you guys for you obvious bias against Sonic, but your articles were surely enjoyable to read. This time... I Hulk-smash'd.
  • philipshaw - July 27, 2011 11:37 a.m.

Great feature, always found it funny people getting crazy about a game they not many people were going to play anyway. Also the fake news about capcom needs to stop
  • Soloman - July 27, 2011 11:26 a.m.

I forgot to point out, what's baffling is how the prototype was FINISHED but never released. Huh? They spend however many thousands if not millions designing and marketing something that's finished but never released? This situation would be totally justified if they released the thing then said "thanks for your support but it's not enough to continue.". Capcom is like a student who stays up all night to finish their homework then refuses to turn it in because it's not their best work. Take the D-, it's certainly better than a zero!
  • Soloman - July 27, 2011 11:15 a.m.

The dev room wasn't designed to judge interest, that is what the prototype was for. Did Jim even watch the video he posted? It specifically said participation in dev room wasn't necessary while Capcom OFFICIALLY said the Prototype would determine if they continued or not. If the dev room was the interest checker, Capcom should have notified fans instead of teasing them with the prototype which everone was looking forward to. I understand Mega Man isn't what he used to be, but the past year or so has seen Capcom at their worst. They spit out more DLC than EA (and most of it is on the disc or really basic features) and they make horrible business decisions from whatever the hell Mercenaries was supposed to be to negating MvC so they can sell a $40 upgrade. Capcom has joined Squenix as a Japanese company that has no idea what the hell they're doing but they're making money while burning bridges so it's alright in their eyes.
  • jmcgrotty - July 27, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Sterling, you were way, way too polite in this article. Seriously, everything you said was true, but you obviously throttled back how much it meant. Mega Man died with "Mega Man 3," NOT "Mega Man Legends 3"
  • avantguardian - July 27, 2011 9:31 a.m.

i don't know if the megaman/sonic comparison is really valid. aside from the disparity in popularity, which is also a good point. it seems like megaman's relatively low profile during sonic's stomach-turning shit-tubing would only have worked in the series' favor imo. it was easy to see what the sonic games had done wrong, and thereby avoid similar mistakes. just give people what they want: a 2D HD FUCKING BADASS MEGAMAN GAME! $15 bucks a pop. people love nostalgia, but they really want to see hd awesomeness on their big-ass tvs, while still retaining all of what they love about a series. why do you think hd remakes are all the rage? certainly not because people haven't played the games before. and leaving him out of UMvC3 is really just inexcusable. i can't wait to see how pleased everyone is when they announce him as dlc... p.s. megaman 2 is my favorite game of ALL time.
  • AuthorityFigure - July 27, 2011 8:45 a.m.

If the author thinks gamers would prefer their hero to die with dignity then I don't think he's been around all that long. Gamers will always want more of everything. Why? Because playing a new, bad version is better than NEVER KNOWING what might have been.
  • nosaints9 - July 27, 2011 8:16 a.m.

I'll never get how people don't understand the making games today HAVE to be a business if you are a big time developer. If it was a perfect world, developers could make games purely from the heart without worry of profit, but that's not how it works. Games cost so much and take so long to make, that can't afford not to make a profit. People bitch and moan about how they are greedy, but if they made games that don't sell well, they would cease to exist. IMO these gamers are just as greedy as they claim the developers they call out are. They want a good game at the expense of these people's jobs.
  • BlackElement17 - July 27, 2011 7:56 a.m.

This article was an excuse to use the crucified Mega Man picture, wasn't it?