Topics

Best of GR

• middleclassfury - March 8, 2013 1:39 a.m.

Did you know that in MegaMan, defeating a boss gives you their powers??!! Well, aged 10, my mate and I didn't!! Together we got through to Dr Wily's castle using only the mega-blaster, and were then confused why we couldn't progress to the end-game boss. Let me put that into perspective - we defeated all levels, all 6 bosses, all 6 bosses again in the final level, AND that bloody rock monster WITH A PEA SHOOTER. You needed to hit Elec-man three times just to get rid of one segment of energy bar. We didn't have the instruction manual, and the internet didn't exist back then. @middleclassfury
  • Person5 - March 8, 2013 5 a.m.

Doesn't the game tell you "you got the [blank]!" after beating a boss though?
  • BladedFalcon - March 8, 2013 5:41 a.m.

Yes, but in game, there's never an explanation on how to switch weapons. So unless you pause, and go select that strange, abbreviated word that just appeared in the menu, you might probably never realize you could switch weapons. Personally, I didn't have this issue, but back then, and with no one to help you and no manual, I can see a few people not getting it XD
  • middleclassfury - March 8, 2013 5:52 a.m.

I think that was from MegaMan 2 onwards. If there was a message like that, my younger dumb self probably put it down to a crazy mistranslated congratulations.
  • Person5 - March 7, 2013 10:57 p.m.

I wasn't aware that the spin jump thing was a big secret, I thought that was the point of the move. In fact, I thought there were parts of the game that would be impossible without spin jumping on enemies. Also, I recall an online conversation I once read where one of the points someone made about why Halo 2 had the best MP of the series involved BXR. It was absurd
  • Frieza - March 7, 2013 10:53 p.m.

I found a potential flaw in your explination of EVs. You said: "Essentially, you can seek out and defeat Pokémon that specialize in the stat you want to increase, then make sure your Pokémon of choice gets the final hit and thus levels up from the fight." Any Pokemon that gains EXP from a fight gains EVs, whether they were in the battle for one turn or if they had an EXP Share equipped. The EV gain isn't restricted to the Pokemon that gave the final blow. I'm not sure if you already knew this and I'm just misunderstanding your wording, but I just thought I would put that out there. And no mention of IVs? They are just as important, and go hand in hand with EVs.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - March 8, 2013 10:59 a.m.

you're right, they don't even need to land a hit
  • Shadow Of Death - March 7, 2013 8:33 p.m.

Only played a few of these games myself. I did know about the Super Mario World one though, plus that bonus one at the end (Jump=Dash in the Megaman X games). Well, I've only played Megaman X to completion (a LOT of times, enough to have made use of both the 1 hit KO weapon, and a minor exploit involving getting a boosted Arm Cannon a level early). Although I knew a bit of EV training, it's fortunate for me that I never bothered with tournaments, because that sort of training sounds like a pain in the arse.
  • sk8r7 - March 7, 2013 6:19 p.m.

the backwards role in Mirror's Edge, i guess that could be considered a mechanic
  • Fuzunga - March 7, 2013 5:52 p.m.

Oh my god. You've explained EV training to me in a single paragraph. I've never been able to understand what the hell anybody was talking about before. Here's your medal. You deserve it.
  • Daniel Cowen - March 7, 2013 5:38 p.m.

My first experience with Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow is my best example of this: Even though I could've sworn that I read the manual cover to cover umpteen times.... I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A MELEE BUTTON. Sure, I could grab people, but that quite often got you detected as it was easy (iirc) to screw up. I then finished the game on Hard, effectively finishing my first Ghost playthrough of a game at the same time as my first Herp-Derp moment!
  • GR_LucasSullivan - March 7, 2013 6:23 p.m.

Sounds like you had a problem similar to one member of our staff (who shall remain unnamed) who beat Metal Gear Solid 3, completely unaware that you could stalk using the d-pad lol
  • Daniel Cowen - March 14, 2013 2:30 p.m.

Stalking? What's that? :P I tended to just use the analogue stick, but the d-pad DID come in handy occasionally. I find it funny and even quite amazing when I come across features I hadn't noticed, sort of a 'woah didn't know you could do THAT!' moment. Moments like that in games need a name! :D
  • Elgyem - March 7, 2013 2:30 p.m.

The jump slash exists in Skyward Sword. Unsheathe your sword while running. Any of MvC3's glitches. There are just too many Also, I noticed you were using PROJECT M footage in the wavedash slide. Glad to know you're aware that awesome mod exists.
  • J-Fid - March 7, 2013 4:47 p.m.

I thought that was a Brawl mod. Whether or not Project M is good, I wish he used an actual picture from Melee, as that is the game being discussed.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - March 7, 2013 6:19 p.m.

Good-looking pictures of wavedashing are amazingly hard to come by. But it's all good--that Project M pic captures the spirit of Melee nicely. Marth, Luigi, wavedashing, Final Destination. What more could one ask for :D
  • CUFCfan616 - March 7, 2013 1:29 p.m.

Am I the only one who thought this would be more about what's working in games behind the scenes that you didn't know about. Like the first slide and each ghost having different ai routines, I was expecting 13 more examples like that but instead it just turned into bug exploits and how to kill tough characters
  • CrashmanX - March 7, 2013 2:01 p.m.

Actually, most of those aren't bugs or exploits, some yes. Most of them were actually programmed in with intent though.
  • profile0000 - March 7, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Great read. I played SC2 alot when it released a few years ago, and mostly as Terran, so I already knew about the Stutter Step. All the other stuff was completely new to me though.
  • shawksta - March 7, 2013 12:11 p.m.

Great list Wave Dashing has been an exploit in Fighting game that allow it Marvel vs Capcom 3 does it aswell, EV values started at Gen 3 actually, its still pretty crazy, dont even get started with IV, that shit isnt even worth the trouble save for a bit more stat points
  • J-Fid - March 7, 2013 1:25 p.m.

EV training has been around since Gen. 1. Gen. 3 just overhauled the system (as well as almost everything else) into what it is today.
  • shawksta - March 7, 2013 2:13 p.m.

True when you say it like that