Topics

Mass Effect 3

• zombi3grim - June 26, 2012 9:40 p.m.

I think the reason people got pissed at the endings was because the series ended. I mean, you HAVE to have a conclusion and its just never going to measure up to how the rest of the game was. I was fine with the original endings, because the entire game was the ending to me. I tied up all my loose ends during the story. The choices I made in the first two games came to a close, not at the ending of mass effect 3, but during it. So, do I REALLY need to see what happens to each of my squadmates after the credits roll? Not really. Thats the beauty of interpretation and imagination. You dont always have to have shit spelled out for you clearly. So now Bioware felt they had to go back and give these whiny bitches some sort of explanation for what happened with their squad at the end, and what a fuckin shock, people STILL arnt satisfied. I hope to god you people who still bitch DONT buy anymore Bioware games. Because your a drop in the pond and if you REALLY think their going to miss your money, theres thousands of other gamers who LIKED Mass Effect 3 and the endings who will still gladly buy their games. Bioware doesnt need people who constantly moan and cry that they didnt get the ending THEY wanted on a game they had no hand in fucking creating. Choice is an illusion in games. It ALWAYS will be. There are sets of pre determined paths game creators set for you that will always be there. Just different ways to reach them. So unless you got some programming skills or any sort of knowledge on how these games get developes (you dont) shut the fuck up.
  • ParagonT - June 27, 2012 9:11 a.m.

You should go looking at previous articles when this was the front of speculation, It'll answer everything. I think many people are going to be very... tired of repeating what has been said many times on previous articles to others when David Houghton started one of the largest flame bait wars ever. I would comment, but I think it's a bit late personally to start complaining how others complained when whats done is done. People complained, they made improved endings, I think the rest is really history.
  • LordEvan88 - June 27, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Yes. The well-worn argument of 'If you can't write books, or direct movies, or paint a painting, or code a game, you are not allowed to criticize anything'. Even thought the original ending was an incoherent mess and Bioware has never said anything about actually liking the ending they released, just a bunch of press releases about how they did not think it would be poorly received. Furthermore, they repeatedly lied about the content of the game prior to release. And yes, being that a sizable percentage of Biowares core fanbase (minimum of 100,000) was pissed off about this and told everyone about it, and I personally stopped several friends from purchasing the game, they had every right to shit their pants. Also, please stop acting like such a twat. It does not contribute to civilized discussion and only serves to weaken your point.
  • zombi3grim - June 27, 2012 3:13 p.m.

Where the fuck are you getting this 100,000 number of Biowares core fanbase? Also, where are you getting a sizable percentage? The internet? You realize MOST people who played Mass Effect 3 didnt get on the internet to bitch about it. People who go online to talk or read about games are ALWAYS the minority of the people who actually buy and play the game. Most people DONT go online to complain about the game. Believe me, they could give two fucks less if you buy another game. Those "several friend" you supposedly stopped from buying the game? Drops in the pond friend, drops in the pond. You can criticize all you want, just like I can call you a crybaby bitch all I want. Thats the beuty of differing opinions. You hate the original endings, I liked them. You claim that a bunch of people hate it along with you and refuse to buy it. I know just as many that love the endings and will continue to support bioware. Two different sides of the same coin. The game was excellent. And you thought it was excellent. How do I know? Because no one knows that much about the universe or even gives a fuck that much about the ending unless the game was good. If it was a bad game, no one would care. My original point still stands. You can complain about the ending of a series you love all day long. Point is, until you create a huge trilogy that you have to somehow make a conclusion to, your going to piss people off. Its happened with just about EVERY sci-fi or fantasy or horror medium, whether it be books or games or movies. When you have a universe THAT detailed, with THAT many different parts to it, there are bound to be things that dont make sense or go unexplained. Heres Bioware releasing FREE DLC to try to sate the tiny part of their fanbase that cried like a bitch about the original endings. Most of them are appeased. And yet, my point in bringing all this up again, is that there are STILL self entitled little bitches that think they DESERVE some kind of better ending, like its THEIR fucking game they went to program 12 hours a day. Get the fuck outta here....
  • CaptainFox77 - June 27, 2012 5:10 p.m.

totally agree with you, Video Games are a form of entertainment and art. its like complaining that a movie didn't end like how you want it to so you moan and bitch at the writers to come up with a new ending, or you do the same thing to a artist's painting because you didn't like what colors he chose or the style he did.
  • zombi3grim - June 27, 2012 6:18 p.m.

Exactly. I say to the people who think their entitled just because they plop down 60 bucks for a game. Get the fuck over yourselves. You got an awsome game for your money. So you didnt like the end, wahh wahh. Wasnt the rest of the game worth it?
  • LordEvan88 - July 1, 2012 10:31 a.m.

Actually, the movie element holds water. Its called test screenings. Tons of movies have had their ending changed because it didn't resonate with the audience. Off the top of my head I am Legend was completely changed and there were over 5 million dollars in reshoots for Star Trek: Generations because they decided to shoot Captain Kirk in the back. This isn't art, its business. Somebody doesn't like the painting, its fine, because there is only one original painting. This is a game, a mass market item designed to make a large profit. They promised millions of people on thing in interviews and gave us another and charged us $60 for it. Its a product, not art. You don't cut out a piece of your art opening day and charge people 15 extra bucks for it. That's what a business does. Also, artists tend to be a lot better at taking constructive feedback and don't have massive PR departments spinning things for them.
  • zombi3grim - July 1, 2012 3:16 p.m.

"They promised millions of people on thing in interviews and gave us another and charged us $60 for it" This is YOUR opinion. You cant speak for everyone! Alot of people got exactly what was promised. Just because YOU didnt LIKE it doesnt mean they didnt make it as promised...
  • ZukotaIsoba - July 1, 2012 10:31 p.m.

Don't try to argue with him Evan, he listens about as well as a brick wall, he used the exact same argument on me. The whole thing is that he doesn't realize that what he is saying is HIS opinion; and he, as he so eloquently put, can't speak for everyone. It just so happens that his opinion is shared by those who make money selling us the things (who obviously don't want to have to fix what's broken if they can help it). He is either a boot-licker or thinks that because game companies and critics don't want games to be altered (for the companies it cuts into profits, and critics get paid each time they review something, which costs the company that employs them) that it suddenly makes his opinion the right one. He seems to not understand the basics of supply and demand.
  • zombi3grim - July 2, 2012 5:27 p.m.

No, critics get paid for being a staff of a company, not every review they write. Thats a myth. Let me guess, your one of those who think publishers "pay off" critics to write good reviews. Is your foil hat on straight?
  • ZukotaIsoba - July 3, 2012 10:07 p.m.

If you think that writers are somehow incorruptible and won't show favoritism or take bribes, you're gonna have a bad time. The tale of Persephone and Hades is a myth, not method of pay. Pay varies depending on the job and company you work for, some jobs you only get paid for work done, others you get paid a set amount regardless of how much work you do; I think game critics get paid for working (maybe they get paid a set amount, but if they write an article they get more?) Whatever the case, that's more time they have to spend on something that was, in their opinion, already out of the way which could have been spent on something else. As for paranoia, not one of my issues, migraines and joint problems, but not paranoia.
  • zombi3grim - July 4, 2012 10:55 a.m.

I think critics that busted their ass to get into gigs in gaming mags or websites arnt going to risk their career to take a bribe. Favoritism? Umm, reviews are the sole opinion of the reviewer. So yeah, reviews are ALL favoritism. When you grow up and actually hit the working world, and understand how businesses work, you'll understand. Till then, if you want to believe high rated games are all paid and bought off, whatever helps you sleep at night, you naive little fool...
  • falcon4196 - June 26, 2012 9:09 p.m.

Well at least they fixed the glaring plot-holes. This sorta kills the indoctrination theory though. They really missed an opportunity with the refusal ending Well I'm done getting worked up over this.
  • forestfire55 - June 26, 2012 8:01 p.m.

I expected more than a "everything you would just expect is true" ending. also, i have 2 problems, one. Why does the catelest kid thing talk in harbature's voice (i dont know how to spell) And why is the kid in the form of some kid he saw die? They both kinda point to the indoctrination path, but ive given up hope for mass effect. It had the chance of being one of the most epic franchises to date, but now it will just be "that game thaf pissed alot of people off"
  • Viron - June 26, 2012 7:20 p.m.

Big surprise people still aren't happy. And what is with people (the 2 I read before going "wat") getting mad over the new ending? Why would the united galaxy stand a chance against a force that is equal too or greater than theirs, is vastly better armed and is a hivemind with communication speed as fast as or faster than light? Of course they lose. They lose 9 times out of 10 with the tenth being the one where the multiverse shatters and 1000 dragonborn fus ro dah the shit out of the reapers. The ending weren't bad before, no one liked them because they didn't like them. Get over yourselves.
  • ZukotaIsoba - June 26, 2012 8:25 p.m.

Geth can communicate just as fast as the Reapers, the turians, humans, and asari have broken down and re-purposed Reaper weaponry, and krogan and rachni have incredible combat ability on the ground: the alliance also has mercenaries equipped with all sorts of illegal and powerful weapons, former cerberus agents also equipped with lethal experimental technology and any number of other war assets that could tip the balance in your favor. The loses would be tremendous, and likely it would take decades to get everything back to normal, but we stand a better chance than what most people give us credit for. People have reasons for not liking things, in this case, the ending(s) that we got were far below the standards of the rest of the game. Why rage I'm sure that people would have been mad if Frodo and Sam had died just before reaching their goal, or if Harry had failed to defeat Voldemort. I'm pretty sure that it would piss people off if the excuse was something like Sauron was an ancient being beyond their comprehension and his evil plan included guards at the door of Mount Doom or a solid gate moveable only by trolls; or that Voldemort didn't have his curse backfire and kept another powerful wand just in case he couldn't master the Elder Wand, then used that to take down Harry. This is not the first, nor the last, case of people being at odds with how a creator finished his/her/their work, it happened when Sherlock Holmes was killed, people complained and he miraculously came back to life as well as many other cases. Supply and demand is what it comes down to; if enough people demand a change then it is usually supplied. I'm sure that if you go to a restaurant and the chef cooks your meal improperly that you complain and/or send it back to get it redone properly. So, please, get off your high horse and realize that this is just a part of the process.
  • zombi3grim - June 26, 2012 9:39 p.m.

• ZukotaIsoba - June 27, 2012 9:11 p.m.

You assume (emphasis on the ASS) that I have absolutely no knowledge of coding or other forms of game development, personally I have rudimentary knowledge of both. I have, in fact, had an interest in taking courses for video game development for many years and have researched elements thereof. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I do understand the concept of working insane hours to accomplish something by a deadline, and having the customer decide they didn't like an element of that work and having to change it FOR FREE. And yes, it sucks, but I do it because I want the opportunity to get work from them or those they know in the future. Obviously you have never played an Elder Scrolls game, especially the older titles, because there was a great deal of freedom and choice in them. If you want to get down to it, choice is just as much an illusion in many parts of our lives; we have a set path based on heritage, convictions, and the environment in which we live. To close another point you made, if you get enough drops in the pond you get a flood, ask Florida. Also, you confuse something having an open ending and having loose ends.
  • zombi3grim - June 27, 2012 9:25 p.m.

You have no knowledge of programming. And if by chance you do, and you ARE trying to get in good with other game developers, you should know most of them thought Bioware SHOULDNT change the ending, because it compromises developer integrity. I play Elder Scrolls. I own Oblivion and Skyrim. Theres "freedom and choice" but at the same time, its an illusion. Those choices always lead to a predetermined outcome that isnt random. Unlike real life, where one small tiny choice can change things in ways you couldnt even comprehend. Not to mention, the elder scrolls games dont have the type of contained story that the Mass Effect universe has. Like I said, the people who bitch about Mass Effects ending are the minority. Bioware decided to change the ending because they felt it was their core fanbase that was bitching and decided to do something nice for them. Which apparently STILL isnt enough for some people. But believe me, a company that has enough talent and history like Bioware, the poor sad souls crying online are tiny TINY drops that in no WAY even begin to make a small dent in the sales of their games. Your naive and extremly out of touch with reality if you think otherwise, especially if you want to get into the game business. I live in Florida BTW. And yes, my area got flooded extremly badly, and we're still getting pounded from Debbie. So yes, you can ask me as I know alll about flooding. As for your last sentence, thats still my point. The Mass Effect series is huge. Theres so many details in it that there WILL be loose ends. Look at Lost. That show was amazing to alot of people. And yet how many of them hated the ending because it didnt explain things in a good way. No one will ever be fully satisfied with the conclusion to anything, whether its Mass Effect or another game franchise that will happen. Its inevitable.
  • ZukotaIsoba - June 28, 2012 4:44 p.m.

Untrue, I read fiction, watch anime and American television and there have been quite a few cases where I have been fully satisfied with an ending; (Lord of the Rings, The Sword of Truth *books*, Buccano, Full Metal Alchemist *both*, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.) all I care about is cohesion and quality, this ending lacked both completely at first and only gained a little with expansion. This ending, in my opinion is a cliche that several other games have already employed, the most recent, to my knowledge, was inFamous 2 which *spoilers* demanded a sacrifice of the main hero and several of his companions as well as all others with powers for the good option (the few to save the many) or the sacrifice of those lacking powers for your own life and those of your empowered allies and empowered bystanders, the only change being the good option(either synthesis or control because both are beneficial overall)involves you sacrificing yourself for the many, and the evil/selfish being that organics (you and most of your friends) survive without synthetics sacrificing many for yourself so that you can continue on in your life. The number of people on either side changed, but the dilemma was still the same: self-preservation vs. preservation of the most life.
  • zombi3grim - June 28, 2012 8:45 p.m.

Thank you. You proved my point. You still enjoyed the game. Otherwise, you wouldnt have payed that much attention to it to know all of that. So your still satisfied with series endings when the entire series still had plot holes and shit that was left largley unexplained. But when it comes to this, you dont. I dont have to tell you what a hypocrite is Im sure... Look, you do realize this is all your opinion. You do realize your opinion isnt everyones. Nor are you even close the majority. You think because you read online that people hated the original endings? Thats the MINORITY bitching! The rest of us loved it! Now, seriously, get the fuck over yourself, stop defending your OPINION like its the damn gospel and move the fuck on with your life.