• Ravenbom - March 28, 2012 11:33 a.m.

I agree they shouldn't change the ending but just as a counter-point they did already sell us on Arrival which is a pretty vital chunk of the Mass Effect story connecting ME2 and ME3.
  • ThePrivateer - March 28, 2012 11:46 a.m.

Dave, does this mean you think DICE is losing their integrity by responding to fan feedback and patching Battlefield 3 to change it and make it better?
  • jxspyder - March 28, 2012 10:33 p.m.

There's this old cliche about apples and oranges, and the inherent dangers of comparing them. It applies here. Patching the game to better balance the weapons and classes is completely different than changing the game's story. Oddly enough, Bioware is also tweaking the multiplayer settings in order to better balance them. Guess that makes your point pretty much utterly worthless. Congrats.
  • ThePrivateer - March 29, 2012 4:32 p.m.

It's responding to fan feedback and changing the game. Same thing. Stop being a douche.
  • miles-weaver - March 29, 2012 6:23 a.m.

Is it too much to ask that the writer of an article about the ending of a three game series has at least experienced the ending of the series that he's talking about? I understand that the issue of Bioware changing the ending of a creative work has implications far outside of just the Mass Effect universe, but I don't think you have a place to comment on the response to the ending until you've experience said ending. Also, I don't remember anyone heralding the death of the creative medium when George Lucas spent a decade changing Star Wars after he'd completed it. Nor do I remember the hysteria being quite as defeaning when the producers of I Am Legend decided to change the entire ending and theme of the film because test audiences didn't 'get' or like the original ending (the one the book had). That was a direct case of an audience changing the ending of a film - a finished film in its test screening phase. The nature of the creative medium didn't implode because of this. Endings get changed sometimes. This will be the first time that a fan outcry has caused a producer to potentially change the ending sure, but it isn't going to lead to the end of the world. Mass Effect 3 is the culmination of a critically acclaimed, three game story. Publishers are not going to change the ending to a one off game whenever there is a fan outcry, the Mass Effect thing is an unusual and very different style of circumstance.
  • james-collar - April 2, 2012 11:20 a.m.

Thing is, George Lucas decided to change his work years later. On his own, and for that fact MANY fans hate it. Our mantra is, HAN SHOT FIRST. But, it's his right to change it, as he's the man behind Star Wars. But, for us as fans to demand he change it so that Luke saves his father and Anakin walks Leia down the isle when she marries Han Solo and then they all live happily ever after... We don't have that right, and I'm sorry, neither do we have the right to make similar demands of Bioware with Mass Effect 3.
  • fantasy242 - March 29, 2012 7:09 a.m.

Prince of persia 4 had an epilogue ending if I remember right for xbox and that ending wasn't as nearly as bad as me3 ending. Anyone who's emerged themselves into a story over the course of five years, put countless hours and spent above 200$ would certainly not be okay with how it ended. Reasons why they should make a dlc that will give the fans a true sense of closure. a) plot holes are more than obvious. They scream in your face if you truly paid attention to the lore. Where were those deep long dialogues that explain everything? Tie everything into place? b) the endings have been ripped from another game( for a company that has been known for its original concept in games( example Jade Empire) this is most disappointing) c) false advertising and promises."Take earth back" yeah sure. d) lack of proper space battle( people spend all the time gathering allies and in the end nothing is shown of that huge space armada players brought up to earth) e)they said they'd show tali's face. Instead we got a re-done image. Where is originality in this?
  • CerebralAssassination - March 29, 2012 11:13 a.m.

nice article. totally agree
  • CerebralAssassination - March 29, 2012 11:19 a.m.

Not really lol. I was having trouble posting so I used the dummy post above to see what the problem was. Anyways, to everyone supporting David, take a look at 2 of his "high-horse" articles. I tried posting the links but something kept going wrong. One is about David urging gamers to stand united against the flaws of a game (Skyrim PS3 version) instead of fighting amongst each other. The second has him urging people to not blindly support a game company (Bethesda) and simply accept or ignore the flawed games it produces (again Skyrim PS3 version). By now, it should be clear that David is either just trying to incite a flame war and generate a lot of hits on his article (just like the Dark Souls vs Skyrim article in IGN) or is just a hypocritical douchebag. You decide. Or not. Keep on blindly supporting him. Just thought I'd point out the obvious.
  • ThePrivateer - March 29, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Pretty sure Dave's the worst thing about Gamesradar. He posts absurd sensationalist articles that are pure opinion. Remember his "Why Gears of War 3 is the Spider-Man 3 of videogames" article? That pissed me off to no end. He acts like his opinions are fact. I'm fine with his High Horse articles, because that's what they're for. But nearly ALL of his need to be High Horse. To be honest, the UK branch is really bringing the site down with too many "funny" articles that add nothing.
  • CerebralAssassination - March 30, 2012 2:45 a.m.

I know what you mean and I agree completely. I mean, it's one thing to give your opinion but its a completely different thing to act like your opinion is fact and insulting everyone else who thinks differently. What's even worse in Dave's case is how he refuses to be informed about the matter and just says things like this. Anyways, I'm still unable to post the links for some reason so I'll just post the headings of the 2 article I mentioned above: 1. High Horse: Broken PS3 Skyrim was inevitable, is inexcusable, and is probably your fault 2. High Horse: When is a gaming community not a community? When it's a selfish, self-destructive mess Pretty sure anyone will be able to find them using the site's search feature or google. Enjoy. Or not
  • Cloakedvengance - March 30, 2012 1:33 p.m.

Well I for one support this article. A great example to me would be the series of books that Game of Thrones is based on (A Song of Ice and Fire) I have spent hundreds of hours reading those books and comics and now watching the tv show spanning over the past 7 years and still have 2 more books yet to be released, I have a vision in my head already of how I'd like it to end but the complexity & scale of the books mean I'm unlikely to get it, but will I be on forums whining and demanding George RR Martin change it? Hell No! It is his story and he can end it how ever he wants just as Bioware can end ME3 however they like, if they have lied about it and broken promises then shame on them, but it doesn't give anyone the right to demand a new ending.
  • Lurchibald - March 31, 2012 2:42 a.m.

Oh, so you actively control the main protagonist and are actively told that what you do will effect the outcome in GoT? What's that? No? Then that analogy is really gorram stupid.
  • viberunner - March 31, 2012 10:56 a.m.

Imagine if JRRM ended Song of Ice and Fire with Daenerys Targaryen being killed by a shotgun blast from a time-travelling Elvis impersonator and Made-Man from a time-travelling New Jersey Mafia family. That would be JRRM's right. It would also suck. Welcome to Mass Effect 3.
  • viberunner - March 31, 2012 10:51 a.m.

"I haven't played the game but I know it's important the ending remains unchanged" This is what the author is, who the author is. He does not make a case for Bioware's ending - he makes a case that suggests one should not make a comment on an complicated issue without at least understanding it. Until he has spend £150 on games and DLC and spend perhaps 250 hours playing the games, he can't even do an "I RECKON". All he can suggest is "I RECKON I RECKON". HE HASN'T EVEN ++PLAYED++ THE GAMES BUT HE'S CALLING ++OTHER++ PEOPLE'S VIEWS "KNEE-JERK". The author wins the "unintended irony" award of the week. The game industry is famous for cop-out and poor endings of games. It's bad enough when it's just one, linear, game. This is a story-rich, choice-rich, trilogy that does such a poor ending the out-cry is entirely justified - indeed, it's magnificent to behold. If only more poorly-ended games had such an outcry we would get better endings to games. Perhaps. The out-cry of the Mass Effect ending is entirely justified. It's even kind of strange. The ending of Mass Effect 2 was pretty good (I thought) and the ending of Mass Effect 1 was staggering - one of the best endings of a game ever produced. "To [change the ending] would give the impression of admitting a lack of faith in its own world staff." No, it's not lack of faith. Faith is what you have ++BEFORE++ the productions starts. What changing the ending now would do is give the proof (not impression) that the staff at Bioware got it ++BADLY WRONG++. And they did. They got it WRONG. Badly wrong. And once the author has played through the series he'll know just how true that statement is. Until then, his advice is just KNEE-JERK BOOT-LICKING (if you'll forgive the catachresis).
  • ithurtstopoop - March 31, 2012 3:38 p.m.

but on the other hand, dave is really cute
  • bilstar - April 1, 2012 2:41 a.m.

Changing an ending is crazy. It's just madness.
  • Tricky69 - April 1, 2012 12:20 p.m.

@samsneeze. For someone who thinks there's more important things going on in the world you sure as shit spend a lot of time fucking commenting and arguing. I thought you woud have gone to Africa to save the children by now.
  • james-collar - April 2, 2012 11:14 a.m.

I agree with him completely, and while I have finished all 3 games, I find the fact that he hasn't to not matter. He's right. I have problems with Mass Effet's ending, however I agree that to change it would set a horrible precedent. All that we can do is hope Bioware learns that this type of ending is not something players want, and improve in the future. But, changing it due to public outcry would be detrimental to the gaming industry as a whole. Please, everyone who is mad about the ending of ME3, I understand but please think about what this author is saying, and if you look past your hatred at EA/Bioware over ME3, you should be able to see that this author is correct in his assessment. In closing, I say to the author... Get crackin' man! Even if you don't like the ending as we do, the series overall is truly one of the best trilogy of games ever!
  • Lurchibald - April 2, 2012 1:49 p.m.

As has been said many times before, Bethesda changing the Fallout 3 ending due to public outcry totally FUBAR'd the gaming industry and its creative freedom... oh wait, it didn't....