• xMagnumMGx - March 23, 2012 10:40 a.m.

I agree with this 100% The creation and existence of any game is left in the hands of the creators, writers, concept artist and anyone else involved. While this article is his opinion and none your comments will make him rewrite this article, sit back and look at the increase in user self entitlement. Did these gamers contribute to the over all design? No. Did these gamers help story board? No. Did these gamers help build a fictional universe for people to explore? No. Did they purchase the game? Yes. Okay then they have 100% say in the outcome of the game. I believe that if Bioware backs down and rewrite everything they did for the ended it is going to be a massive punch in the face of the gaming industry all because of opinionated gamers who don't like an ending. Was the experience worth the trip? Opinion based. Was the ending to your liking? Opinion based. Hell while we are at it lets complain to Ken Levin and irrational games to remake Bioshock because the ending sucked. Let's complain to Rockstar to remake GTIV because the ending was lackluster. Do not pressure game designers into rethinking what they themselves put hundreds of hours creating for your enjoyment. It will be a massive step back in creating new and original games. Grow up people and quit venting you idiotic ideals on game designers who already have a hard enough time creating a game that people will find playable.
  • ParagonT - March 23, 2012 4:47 p.m.

They get paid to create games, they market their games, they deigned the games for a target audience, and they also made statements of what the game would be like before release, and they made a plot hole ridden ending. Your whole paragraph is invalid. They're a company, not artists. You can't even prove that it will set a bad precedent, your just assuming. If you think its logical, then i will assume that by not changing the ending they will set a horrible precedence. I would be more understanding, but you don't seem to grasp what the hubbub is about. Let alone your a little demeaning, so please enjoy your fill.
  • john-a-tron3000 - March 23, 2012 10:41 a.m.

I dont agree with bashing the employees, they have worked hard to give us these fantastic games. So it just does not make sense that any one involved would allow their game, that they have spent years working on end with absolutely no closure. its like watching the last lord of the rings without the epilogue. Or return of the jedi without the final show down. People who say they are ashamed need to think. If you buy a car with something missing and the makers say they will sell it to you at a later date, you would complain. If u pay to see a film u expect to see the whole film, not beginning, middle, half an end then the rest when it comes out on dvd. Look at metal gear solid 4 they got the ending right no dlc required, does that not say something. We have a right to complain when companies such as EA and Activision milk as much money from us as possible. What happened to giving the customer as much content as possible. I remember unlocking secret characters within the game by doing something, not by handing over more money. I dont remember dlc been needed for any ps2 or ps1 games. We need to stand together and stop this before its too late and we end up paying at the end of every level just to get to the next. Also if you haven't PLAYED the game AND SEEN the ending then you dont have the right to comment. Thanks
  • snipes101 - March 23, 2012 10:45 a.m.

(Light Spoilers) I dont want Bioware to make my decisions more relevant, I dont want Bioware to make the ending a happy one, I dont want Bioware to make an ending I envisioned (that who take mass effect back campaign is utter shit and everyone involved are a bunch of arrogant pricks), I dont even want Shepard to live. What I want is a damn ending. I can see your argument and I think if Bioware is going to change something, the community should have nothing to do with it. But, dude, they did not end the game. It ends on what is essentially a cliff hanger. Plot holes, contradictions, none of it is good. Then, after the credits, to be slapped in the face with a "buy DLC!" message just put the icing on the screw you cake they made for us. Yes, the experience as a whole is great. I plan on playing through the game again. The problem lies in the fact that the whole thing comes off as lazy. I dont care what Bioware promised gamers, I didnt even follow the game pre launch because I wanted it to be a surprise. I want them to admit they screwed up or at least try to explain their "ending" a little more.
  • yanks5531 - March 23, 2012 10:49 a.m.

It would be nice if this guy actually played the game before going on a two page rant about how wrong the community and diehards are.
  • Desann - March 23, 2012 10:51 a.m.

Yeah really, if you don't know what the ending is, you really don't know that all this hoopla is justified. The games are all so incredibly well-written and carefully crafted up to that point, but the quality of the storytelling suddenly plummets so far and so fast, people's heads are still spinning. Well, if you read into it, and not take any of it at face value, and give it the context of the indoctrination theory, that whole sequence is suddenly back up to par with the rest of the game, and actually pretty awesome. The only problem with viewing it that way is that the curtain falls before the story ends! Before the final battle and the climax of the franchise. They hit the breaks and stopped the show at the worst possible time. If it was always their plan to finish this story in DLC, it would be another slap in the face to be asked to pay for it. ...I won't pretend that I won't buy it, though. I wouldn't for any other game, but this franchise is the greatest. Sure, the ending as it stands and taken at face value is one of the worst I've ever seen, but I just ADORE these games still. I'm going back through the game a second time, and I plan to play through it at least once more before loading up the first one and doing it all again. Mass Effect is definitely my favorite franchise of all time. Better than any movie or TV show or anything I've ever played or seen. As its presented, the ending is terrible, and the lowest point in the series, but it didn't kill the love I have for it.
  • BladedFalcon - March 23, 2012 10:53 a.m.

"I HAVE NO IDEA OR KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUBJECT I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT, BUT I'M SURE MY OPINION'S RIGHT REGARDLESS" Jesus Houghton, you've stooped to a level reserved only for the most closed-minded, conceited, stupid of fanboys...
  • KnowYourPokemon - March 23, 2012 11:43 a.m.

On a side note I'm sure he could get a job with Fox News now...
  • OD-Apache - March 23, 2012 11:48 a.m.

It stopped being funny with all of this negativity these last couple days. I thought we we're the ones whining, but all the naysayers just resort to yelling at us from atop their high horses about artistic integrity and what not. We're just trying to make sense of all this, we may have quite a few extremists who yell back, but so does every other section of society.
  • Roentgen - March 23, 2012 10:56 a.m.

For me it's not even the half-arsed way they ended it. It's not the glaring plot holes, the sudden entire change of character of Shepard and it's most certainly not the unhappy ending. What frustrated me at the end was that it did not come down to the consequence of your actions throughout the three games, it came down to "Here's 3 choices, color-coded to indicate Paragon, Neutral and Renegade. Pick which ending you want!" After three fantastic and engaging games, nothing mattered in the end except that you pick which ending you want from the list, none of your decisions had any weight at all. As much as it would be a slippery slope of its own, I really hope the "ending" in the game was an elaborate indoctrination sequence and that the true ending will be released in (hopefully free) DLC form.
  • MercurialForce - March 23, 2012 10:58 a.m.

It's not about a happy ending, it's not about a sad ending, it's not even about not liking the ending. For me (and I assume many others) it's about making sense. I don't need Shepard to end up married to Liara with Garrus as best man and Ewoks drumming on stormtrooper helmets in the background. I just want an ending that makes sense, that isn't riddled with plot holes, as it currently stands. However they fix that, fine. As long as they do it. A precedent already exists, as Bethesda continued Fallout 3 with Broken Steel. Furthermore, the Mass Effect novel Deception is undergoing a rewrite due to numerous plot holes. That said, a slippery slope argument is fallacious, claiming that if Bioware caves, more games will be rewritten due to fan backlash, is ridiculous. How many games since Fallout 3 have been retconned? Wasn't it Bethesda's "artistic vision" that you die at the end of fallout 3? Of course, one would assume that whatever ending Bioware came up with would still be in line with their artistic vision, as it is them still writing it. Despite a few arrogant people, most want Bioware to just write an ending that makes sense, not the specific ending that THEY envisioned. Bioware wrote an amazing game (you really should try it!) it would just be unfortunate for its legacy to be ruined by a nonsensical ending.
  • OD-Apache - March 23, 2012 11:44 a.m.

This. I was emotionally prepared to watch every single thing Bioware made me love die at the end, and they still somehow found a way to shock me, and not in any kind of way that I can make sense of.
  • haxxoromg - March 23, 2012 11:01 a.m.

I've played through all three games twice at this point, and while I myself am not happy with the ending of me3 (mainly because of all the weird plot holes it brought up), I totally agree with this article. Imagine if it becomes an industry standard for game endings to be changed if a certain percentage of the fans want it to be changed (and in me3's case it is still a small albeit vocal minority of the fans). This may not seem like such a bad thing at a glance, but this completely disrespects the artistic team behind the game and could even be seen as a loss of freedom of speech in extreme cases (authors not being able to write what they want). I admit I've done my own fair share of whining and complaining about the ending, but all I think the game needs is a few additional cutscenes to flesh things out at the very most. If it was another dev, this may not be such a big deal, but i would say that bioware is at the forefront of story telling in games, and if even they are taking a minority of their fans over their own professional writers, they could e setting a dangerous example. oh and to all the people bitching that the author of this article has no right to complain because he has not played through all the games yet, you are all fucking idiots. It means that his opinion is that of an unbiased outsider, one that is usually worth more than that of a biased one such as your own. Further, this is not an article discussing me3's ending, this is an article strictly discussing the impacts of bioware's decision on the industry as a whole. If you want to discuss the me3 ending, i'm sure there are plenty of forums full of people who agree with you who can placate you.
  • KnowYourPokemon - March 23, 2012 11:41 a.m.

Sorry that's not how it works. Unbiased would be bringing in someone who is not on either side of the battlefield and asking their opinion. Look at jury duty for example, based on your explanation someone on a jury should not be given any information on the case, just look at the defendant and decide whether or not someone is innocent or guilty. Do you see the issue with that logic? He does not have ANY clue as to why there are complaints about this and feels he can justify an opinion about it? HA. Also, pretty much every complaint he made doesn't have anything to back it up. Sherlock holmes was retconned, are you telling me that Sherlock Holmes isn't known for it's story? Even William Shakespeare took feedback on how he could improve his work, but by all means of course Bioware is on a much higher horse in the world of literature than any of this.
  • Craza - March 23, 2012 11:02 a.m.

You make valid points, but I still think what Bioware did with the ending was kinda atrocious. As other commentors have stated, Bioware promised a whole tree of different endings that would be unlike any other game in the market. The choices were supposed to be vastly different and would follow along the same lines as the other two games, where you had so much opportunity. For everything you've worked up to being shoe-horned into three major decisions, each with an EXTREMELY similar ending is an insult to the gamers who have poured hundreds of hours into these games. Sure, the developers have invested thousands of hours and dollars into making them, but people have spent literally days and weeks of gametime exploring the far reaches of the universe in this game. A prime example in this would be Witcher 2. Not only do you have the main two branches splitting off the storyline near the start of the game, but you have probably over a dozen other ways to go through the game, all with different endings. And you know what, EACH of those decisions have real consequences! When I was at the final part of the game, I had the choice to either save the sorceress or go with Vernon to save the princess, and it was a very difficult decision to make. I could either save the kingdoms, but have small things that might undermine that choice over time, or save my love interest so that I may pursue my own interests and leave the kingdom divided. I chose the second option partially because throughout the game, I had tried to play as a loner, choosing the dialogue options and choices that left Geralt as an independent, but still helping out friends and acquaintances. The other part was that Geralt is a Witcher, and Witchers go where they're needed. They don't fight in wars or pick sides. They simply rid the world of evil creatures or curses. I LOVED how the game was presented in that way. Though a few decisions might not have had as severe consequences as I had imagined, the wealth of opportunity available and the difficulty I had with each choice being presented was a true testament to my involvement in this game and its world. Even after making a decision, sometimes I would think for a while, "Was that the right thing to do? Maybe I should have done something differently." I didn't reload any saves though, because this was the choice I felt was the best at the time, and I wanted to see how the game carried out from there. Anyways, back to Mass Effect. With its ending, you're given three decisions and none of them hold any significant difference from the others. An EXCELLENT video I watched that wrapped up the problems with ME3's ending was Angry Joe's "Why We Hate ME3's Ending". He nailed it on the head with what was wrong, and I wholly agreed with him. He brought up a point of why didn't Shepperd have a choice of not choosing to believe the God Child and do something drastically different. Maybe he wasn't willing to accept the crappy line of, "The Reapers were created to kill lifeforms so that other synthetics wouldn't kill lifeforms." What kinda bullshit is that?! That feels like very shitty storytelling. There are definite problems with the way Bioware told their story, and I understand why there are so many people upset over its ending. I DO think people should appreciate the immense fun, wonder, and involvement they had with all three games. I mean, if they've played through all three, it definitely means they had some certain extent of involvement and were attached to something within this universe enough to continue. HOWEVER, fans were promised and told time and time again this game would be different and would exceed all expectations. The endings would be crafted purely on how you've played through the other two and the decisions you've made as your own personal Shepperd. To boil it down to three endings in which none of them really cry out a different outcome or allow you to fully play out the personality you've given your Shepperd is the ultimate disappointment. Bioware has accomplished the difficult task of having vastly different endings and having your choices have real consequences. It was called Knights of the Old Republic! Why couldn't they do that here?! I apologize for the long post, but I felt these were good arguments that needed to be said. I respect your opinion on the matter, Houghton, but when so many people are crying foul at Bioware for a disappointing ending in a series they've invested soooo much time in, I think it's really something that should be addressed. And with a medium such as video games where patches can be released and things can be changed to make gameplay better or the story more coherent, why SHOULDN'T we change it to AT LEAST give us more options. I'm not asking to change the ending entirely, but simply to expand the amount of choices we can make. If they do this with DLC, then I guess it's better than nothing.
  • Megalovina - March 23, 2012 11:04 a.m.

You forget that other media has changed its ending before from Bethesda making that Broken Steel DLC all the way back to Sherlock Holmes being brought back from the dead due to a massive fan out cry. Remember the TV show Firefly? That would have not gotten a movie if it was not for the vocal fans. This isn't a "game" problem and honestly it is not a big as a problem as you see it. Sure it could be abused by one group trying to get it too appease solely to them but that is not what they are asking. They do not want Shepperd to get a harem ending they want an actual ending, even if it is something small like a Animal House style ending with a few sentences about the main characters about what happened after the big choice. They have done it before with Jade Empire they can do it again now. The ending of Mass Effect 3 was terrible and people are right to call bullshit on it just as they had a right to call bullshit on Fallout 3's ending. Just because Bioware makes something means we should fully accepted and not criticize it. You see the key word their CRITICIZE IT. Not flame them, criticize it. Freedom of speech goes both ways. You are a god damn journalist, not Bioware's PR. Start acting like it.
  • Sandman89 - March 23, 2012 11:08 a.m.

Mr. Houghton, i usually love your articles and respect your opinions, but i have to say this article completely missed the point of why Mass effect 3's core fans are so upset. Just a few things id like to point out here: 1) You admit you didnt finish the game, but im sorry, you cannot, i repat CANNOT give any opinion you might have on this topic until you've experienced the ending. It renders the whole article void. 2) The ending is simply BAD, by any standards. There are around 20 plotholes and leaps of logic in the last 10 minutes alone. Watch angryJoe's video on ME3's ending. 3) We were promised by Bioware That there would be "wildly different endings" based on past decisions, it wouldnt be a typical choose "from A, B, C ending" and that none of our big questions about the series would be left unanswered "ala Lost" and would provide closure... and they did the total opposite!!!! This is why people are mad...we were promised something, and when its not delivered,we feel as though we want our money back. Bioware LIED to us, plain and simple 4) "To do so would give the impression of admitting a lack of faith in its own world staff. It would give the impression of admitting that a crowd-sourced ending-by-committee dictated by a bunch of literal amateurs is more worthy than the work of its own creatives" This is just utterly silly and pretentious. So basically, you're telling them to be stubborn, arrogant and ignore fans' overwhelmingly negative feedback on the ending, refuse to man up and admit they stuffed up, and "pretend" that their writers did a great job? Am i actually reading this? Bioware's recent promise of a changed/extended ending is very good to see, because atleast it seems as though they do care about player feedback. Honestly, if all developers did what you want (ie) have blind faith in their staff and not admit mistakes, the gaming industry would be in the gutters.
  • system1988 - March 23, 2012 11:08 a.m.

You simply don't know what you are talking about. Let's see if you keep the same opinnion after 200+ hours of gameplay and replaying of the three games for the last 5 years! Believe me you will see the ending in a very different way! Your claims of the fact that this might be bigger than a game do not alter the fact that you are simply clueless on the matter. Furthermore your fears about the changing of the ending according to the wisehs of the fans who invested time, feelings and money on the games are completely unjustified. This has been done with a variety of games in the past and did not hurt the gaming industry, in fact it made things better. A GAME IS NOTHING WITHOUT ITS FANBASE REMEMBER THAT
  • arariel23 - March 23, 2012 11:14 a.m.

"I don’t know what the ending of Mass Effect 3 entails, and I don’t care. I haven’t even played Mass Effect 3 yet. Hell, I’m still working through the first one at the moment." Stopped reading there. Before you open your mouth about something, you might want to research it, before trying to sound smart about it. I could even respect your opinion if I disagreed with it, except you started your article by ADMITTING you had no business talking about your subject matter. I hate to say it... I've been slowly seeing the quality of "reporting" on this site degrade over time... you used to have some really entertaining content... kind of a cracked.com for games. But you guys decided somewhere along the line to be "real" journalists, but you show time and time again you have no idea what being a real journalist entails. Real journalists research their topics, to create informed opinions. You clearly have not, and you flaunt that fact as an opening. I'm done. You guys are a joke at this point.
  • Rainbow-Carnage - March 23, 2012 11:31 a.m.

I don't like your opinion. I think I'll start an online petition to have it changed. Because I'm a typical, egotistical, self centered, douchebag, gamer that thinks the world owes me stuff that I don't deserve. DERP.
  • OD-Apache - March 23, 2012 11:41 a.m.

Can't tell if sarcasm or over generalizing. :/