Topics

Nintendo

• SonicX_89 - February 18, 2011 3:12 a.m.

I don't understand all the Mario hate. He wouldn't be my pick for number 1, but I don't mind that he is. Mario is awesome. Also. I think people are reading too much into the word "character". I don't think Guiness meant character in the sense of a protagonist/antagonist that makes you care about their plight. I believe they just used a general term like "character" to list their choices.
  • Sleuth - February 18, 2011 2:30 a.m.

Commander Shepard should definitely be on this list.
  • Gurkogg - February 18, 2011 2:19 a.m.

Who is this Marston? I don't know most of these characters because I only play PC games, /sigh
  • NightCrawler_358 - February 18, 2011 2:16 a.m.

Sorry for double post but i see some of my personal entries made it... some, but All I want to know is how in the world does PAC-MAN make it in the TOP 10 when JOHN MARSTON doesn't even make it on the list!?!? I'm sorry but theres nothing but a yellow circle say WAKKA WAKKA!
  • JD_Method - February 18, 2011 2:15 a.m.

Master Chief is above Solid Snake? Really?
  • Gurkogg - February 18, 2011 2:13 a.m.

Obivously the voters never played Planescape: Torment ...
  • NightCrawler_358 - February 18, 2011 2:11 a.m.

This is more of a list of recognizable characters, but not best. I'm positive that Nathan Drake is a cooler guy than Mario. Half this list doesn't even talk!! If they're going in that direction than where is Ryu!? Also... GlaDos, Wesker, King of all Cosmos, Bill from L4D, Garrus, Sephiroth, Ezio, the list goes on...
  • Zeipher - February 18, 2011 1:52 a.m.

This is why appealing to popular opinion is a fallacy. Most of these characters have no dialogue or defining features and are merely selected for their familiarity. @ismikehinde: The poll is for greatest characters, not "innovators" or "most influential characters". We want figures who are interesting. Having a beer with Mario would fucking suck.
  • isimikehinde - February 18, 2011 1:45 a.m.

He resurrected the gaming industry, the example to modern gaming, the only character that can be identified with a single bleep, a single letter("M"),who has easily some of the influential games ever, and has excelled in every genre his been, has boosted sales of consoles his opens and easily some of the highest selling games and the highest selling franchise in the world, and is still very important after 25 years,most character died within the first decade they were made,some are trying reboots and all,but not mario,he has stayed the same but been important to gaming industry both gamer and developer recognise him,in a time were if you don't make a FPS on War you seem not to exist and if your game is not hardcore or mature its not noticed, he is still relevant,tell which character has done what he has.none.
  • knightnettie - February 18, 2011 1:43 a.m.

Yeah, do Naruto, Goku, and Ash even deserve to be on the list? They're firstly anime characters, after all...
  • EroticInvisibleMan - February 18, 2011 1:40 a.m.

A very recognisable character for sure, but not even a slightly good one as far as characterisation goes.
  • FreedomPhantom - February 18, 2011 1:36 a.m.

Every character that has been suggested so far in this forum would never make the top 10. Mario's a freaking icon. He's the Nintendo equivalent of Mickey Mouse. I'm sure all of your favorite characters made it to the top 50 or 100... maybe not even that. @Celticsfan645 click on the link. Crash is number 11.
  • jpbr139 - February 18, 2011 12:53 a.m.

Nobody else could be the first, it was obvious
  • Japanaman - February 18, 2011 12:49 a.m.

What about WEEGI?!!! And where on EARTH is Samus Aran?!!
  • g4m3rk1dd - February 18, 2011 12:43 a.m.

id rather Zack Faire than Cloud Strife...just sayin...
  • Pocotron - February 18, 2011 12:42 a.m.

"It's-a me! Mario!" is the most you'll ever hear out of Mario at once. People put too much into him from OTHER forms of media that aren't games. Seriously? Ash Ketchum?! That's Red, you dickmunchers!
  • Errrrbo - February 18, 2011 12:21 a.m.

...seriously? He's iconic, for sure, but he has no character, no personality. He just chases after the princess.
  • celticsfan645 - February 18, 2011 12:15 a.m.

THe F*$k is crash Bandicoot. HIS GAME SERIES DEFINED A GENERATION DAMMIT.
  • Kenzo - February 18, 2011 12:06 a.m.

just noticed a distinct lack of Fox McCloud
  • tomasfr89 - February 18, 2011 12:05 a.m.

A side note on kingsmikefan's commentary about Gordon Freeman: He's not a character, he's just an avatar. Half-Life thinks YOUR name is Gordon Freeman and that you're a scientist. I'm sorry if someone thinks I'm trolling, but this list is so full of crap that I can't contain myself.