We Recommend

• Sinsational - October 19, 2012 7:24 a.m.

I think it's funny that even with a two year headstart Xbox is still struggling to keep ahead of Playstation.
  • ObliqueZombie - October 19, 2012 9:06 a.m.

Seven million units is "struggling?"
  • Rakim69 - October 19, 2012 11:22 a.m.

Old PS3 numbers there. From March. PS3 is close to 70 million too after being one year after X360. Don't get surprised when Sony will announced another numbers soon.
  • nathan-peake - October 19, 2012 8:11 a.m.

i just googled it and Profits fell to just $19 million from $340 million a year ago,thats just xbox 360 not microsoft, http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250485/microsoft-profits-531-billion-xbox-rampd-up-70m-xbox-360-shipped/
  • Talvari - October 19, 2012 8:28 a.m.

Good old Wii, never had to replace you in the 6 or so years i owned ya. Probably won't have to replace you for a long time yet either. <3
  • Faz - October 19, 2012 8:57 a.m.

" Nintendo has already ‘won’ this console generation." Eh? Nintendo are yet to join this generation.
  • reach110 - October 19, 2012 12:32 p.m.

Agreed. Always felt like the Wii was a weird "in-betweener" as far as console generations were concerned. Like Gamecube.5 or something.
  • killorabbit - October 19, 2012 9:13 a.m.

Thanks to RROD I think half of those purchases were mine.
  • clynch0527 - October 20, 2012 9:01 a.m.

haha, i had one rrod..and your probably right, half of the sales were probably due to people buying a new console due to the rrod
  • ethomaz - October 19, 2012 10:59 a.m.

lol 63.9 million is March 31, 2012 compared with 70 million from September 30, 2012.
  • mbavalo - October 19, 2012 12:45 p.m.

haha, a common mistake people make, Nintendo has not won "This" generation, they just freaken got into it!
  • AmigaEngine - October 19, 2012 1:16 p.m.

This is sad..... personally have bought 3 xbox 3fixme's since 2005 and not because of blind love for the hardware ;). Great games but probably the most unreliable electronic device that I have ever owned.
  • Vordhosbn - October 20, 2012 2:38 a.m.

Same here. I love the Xbox, it's got a lot more use from me than my PS3 or Wii, but I've had to go through 3 of them. Luckily the latest "slim" one seems to be more robust, not sure I could bring myself to fork out for a fourth console.
  • marino-gt - October 19, 2012 1:47 p.m.

63.9 million reported by Sony and the end of their fiscal year March 31, 2012 compared with 70 million from September 30, 2012 reported by Microsoft. Way to go genius.
  • clynch0527 - October 20, 2012 8:59 a.m.

and i recall the ps3 coming out the FOLLOWING year.
  • Fruitbat - October 19, 2012 3:53 p.m.

With third place going to the 63.9 million seller, I don't think anyone can be said to have 'lost' or indeed 'won' this generation. Hell, the N64 didn't break 33 million and it's a classic of my generation; let's take this as a sign that videogames are in robust health no matter which machine you settle for.
  • ryangrutterink - October 20, 2012 11:17 p.m.

I have an xbox and probably wouldn't trade it in for any other system, but chances are these numbers don't include replacements, Is microsoft idiots are smart with how unreliable the xbox is.
  • bebl09 - October 22, 2012 9:20 a.m.

Could Cundy or someone of equal wisdom and intelligence please clarify something? On IGN's report of these numbers they said that Microsoft announced last year that they were at 50 million sold, and now they're announcing 70 million sold. Surely that can't be accurate, 20 million in one year?
  • Divine Paladin - October 22, 2012 1:22 p.m.

The most accurate one I've seen, without any possible bias or accidental extra shipments, is around 64 million. Although I can believe 70 million have been SHIPPED, or have been MANUFACTURED, I'd doubt 70 million have actually been sold. If 70 million are manufactured, I'm curious as to how many no longer work, since the 360's failure rate was pretty high early on.