• SilentDark - January 14, 2013 6:18 a.m.

Countries with tight gun control laws, in general have lower instances of gun crime, sure if a person wants to find a gun they still can but they aren't readily available. The UK has gun crime but massacres like this are a very rare thing. Owning a gun should not be a right, it should be a privilege you have to earn, like driving a car.
  • ventanger - January 14, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Many of those countries with tighter gun control laws, also have lower indexes of personal freedom. The Soviet Union had 100% literacy, that alone didn't make it an inherently better society. If you think owning a gun should not be a right, then surely you're in favor of repealing the 2nd amendment, or ratifying a 28th that radically redefines it. If that's the case, if you want to fundamentally transform the Constitution, then why don't you just say so?
  • BigDannyH - January 14, 2013 3:54 p.m.

You do realise that, in the UK at least, we don't want to own guns. Partly because they're not fetishised over here, but mostly because we don't want the nutters to have them. We don't even let our coppers have them! It's not a violation of our freedom, it's our choice and it's a sensible, rational one. And regarding freedom, isn't the rich-poor divide in Amerca huge, with most of the population working ridiculous hours for not a lot of money? Doesn't sound particularly free to me (unless of course you're one of the lucky few born into privilege).
  • Arobadope - January 15, 2013 9:52 p.m.

Most rich people work over 80 hours a week. The amount of people like Warren Buffet who can just sit around and make millions is very small compared to those who spend 100s of hours per week making sure their businesses are running right.
  • opzero - January 13, 2013 11:47 a.m.

It is wrong to blame guns just as much as it is to blame video games the first and second amendment clearly cover both a assault on one is a assault on the other. Its sad that this is what its come to . The NRA was in the wrong blaming video games. But as video game players we should be just as worried about guns why because after they show they can attack our amendments what do you think they will come after next? People that make the arguments that the second amendment was made with muskets in mind just remember that video games, internet , tvs , movies , radio where not around when they made the first amendment .
  • ventanger - January 13, 2013 9:05 a.m.

Nice article Tom, it has some flaws that I've stated, but good effort. Here, I prefer this article http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/what-quentin-tarantino-can-teach-us-about-how-to-handle-the-violence-in-gam Best part about it? The words 'gun' and 'nra' are nowhere to be found.
  • SanosukeEiji - January 13, 2013 4:38 a.m.

"-A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..." This. Don't rely too much on your government, whether you realize it or not, they are corrupt at best.
  • Fleshcrawl - January 13, 2013 7:53 a.m.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." -George Mason
  • ThatFanInThePeacoat - January 14, 2013 9:57 a.m.

What makes a militia any less corrupt?
  • ParagonT - January 14, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Why would you think that a corrupt militia would combat another corrupt entity? Besides, that's a ridiculous statement to make to begin with. Then tell me, what makes people not in a militia less corrupt? What if your corrupt and spouting this? This game can go on all day.
  • Moondoggie1157 - January 12, 2013 4:03 p.m.

Making gun laws stricter only affects those who are responsible gun owners. If someone wants a gun to commit a crime, they aren't going to go about finding a gun in a legal way... Stricter gun laws will be about as useful in diminishing crime as drug laws are, which isn't saying much. I mean, just look at what happened in Australia, it's an extreme example, but still relevant in this discussion. If anything, there should be more effort put into psychological reviews for gun owners. If someone is not stable enough, or is taking certain medications that inhibit their judgement then they should not own a firearm. These factors are taken into account when handing over a drivers license, they should for firearms as well. I was 12 when I got my firearms license, and throughout my teenage years I had some pretty shitty down moods, I'm lucky the weapons were locked away from me in all honesty. Looking back, I was just a silly, melodramatic teenager, but when one is younger and going through those extreme moods, they can do some very dangerous things. There should be an bi-annual psychological review for gun owners, same goes for those who drive. It may be overly thorough, but I've heard of crazier things done. When it comes to automatic and semi-automatic weapons, again, regulating them is not going to decrease the amount of crime, it will only effect the law abiding collectors. Personally, I don't see a difference between someone with a bolt action, or an automatic. A gun is a gun, they all have the potential to cause damage, so I don't see much sense in picking which ones are okay, and which are not. The only difference is the amount of people who could be hurt if someone goes berserk, in the end I see 1 death just as tragic as 10.
  • Moondoggie1157 - January 12, 2013 4:03 p.m.

P.S. Awesome article, Tom. Keep them coming!
  • BigDannyH - January 14, 2013 3:40 p.m.

You had a firearms license at 12? Wow! What does that give you the licence to do? You're not allowed to drink until you're 21, right? But you can get a firearms licence at 12?
  • ParagonT - January 15, 2013 7:01 a.m.

I suppose in the UK you can get drink when your... what was it you said? Around 16, 17, or lower and get away with it? So that must mean that it makes you able to drive drunk at a lower age! I'm being snide.
  • ParagonT - January 15, 2013 7:31 a.m.

drinks*
  • BigDannyH - January 15, 2013 2:36 p.m.

Uk laws are sex at 16, drive at 17, buy alcohol at 18. I'm not sure what age you can get a gun licence. I'm not 100% sure what you can do when it comes to guns? You can't buy them freely by people do own them, mostly in the countryside, farmers mainly.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - January 15, 2013 1:12 p.m.

That's pretty funny, I've actually been a supporter of having the drinking age lowered. But I also live in a little hick town in Michigan, so people start drinking around age fifteen anyway.
  • ZeeCaptain - January 12, 2013 1:45 p.m.

It's stupid to blame gun violence on video games and the media, it's true but it's stupid, you can't censor that sort of stuff out from life, and just giving it a higher age rating will please the naive masses but it doesn't do anything, I still see kids get into R rated movies and there's probably more grade school kids playing Call of Duty and GTA then there are at my college. Some people can't handle this sort of content in their lives, I guess I can see why but I don't see how they live in western civilization then, it's always the few who go crazy and try to dictate and ruin things for the many, and then rarely it's the many who ruin it for the few I guess.
  • 7-D - January 12, 2013 1:35 p.m.

Interesting piece in EDGE (though seems to offer more questions than anwsers) http://www.edge-online.com/features/why-we-kill/
  • ZeeCaptain - January 13, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Thank you for that link.
  • ultimatepunchrod - January 12, 2013 11:12 a.m.

Really liked what you had to say here.
  • moknives - January 12, 2013 9:11 a.m.

Look guys, a 12 Gauge shotgun can do as much to a crowd of people as a semi-automatic weapon can, and putting a ban on a specific type of gun will not curb the violence cause by irrational, mentally ill persons. I live in a small town where everyone is packing and I myself have had a shotgun under by bed since I was 14. Based on my experience with the issue, I feel that responsible, rational gun owners should not be penalized for the actions of the disturbed minority just as gamers should not be restricted due to the minority that can't filter virtual violence properly. NRA made a dick move though, and I have lost all respect for them.
  • gaz-wkd - January 12, 2013 10:43 a.m.

A shotgun will not do nearly as much damage as a semi-automatic at all, idiotic comment really. If Americans want the tight to hold arms then there should be some common sense that goes along with it. Why in the hell would the general public need easy access to those types of weapons. I can possibly understand the use of them through extremely strict controls within a gun club and shooting range, aside from that.. no.