Topics

Halloweek

We Recommend

• zebrakindom - April 12, 2014 11:42 a.m.

IB is a great free horror game. It's a low pixel game about a girl who goes into a art gallery that's hosting the obscure and slightly sad works of Guertena. The girl runs off before her parents and ends up getting lost in the museum. First it's fine, she is able to see all the exhibits and talk to all the people there. However, after visiting one of Guertena's largest murals, the lights flicker and an ominous feeling starts to set in. You traverse through quiet museum to see that everyone has left. It's a great game with horror that comes from unknowing, ominous mood, and just odd unsettling things. There are some pop ups but I wouldn't go to the length of it being a scare but more just a little startling. Since it's a low pixel game the pop up creatures aren't really like "oh no a scary face" just more of a "okay I know that thing can hurt me so I need to run". It's actually beneficial to the game as it helps you run away in time, heh. However the game is pretty easy, one could easily make it through the whole game in an hour with dying only once(or not at all). If one is looking for a horror game with a lot of difficulty and a lot of dying, do not look here. If one is looking for a horror game that does not have much difficulty but is heavily story based with great mood and constantly has you entertained, this is great. Also, this game is totally text based and I know that can turn people off. But because it's text based the game is able to provide with a lot of funny or eerie quips with all the things you are able to interact with.
  • TheMcFinder - October 31, 2013 1:33 p.m.

I'm gonna say Hotline Miami is pretty damn unsettling. I couldn't help but feel kinda depressed while playing it.
  • pimlicosound - October 31, 2013 10:07 a.m.

I'd like to nominate the original FEAR. Sure, it had a handful of jump scares, but mostly in the first act and it certainly didn't rely on them. For me, unravelling the secret of Alma and Dr Harlan Wade was one of the creepiest and most tragic and sickening things I've come across in a game.
  • Ensoul - October 31, 2013 6:22 a.m.

Currently playing Siren: Blood Curse (Sale on it at the PS Store) first episode down and it's got this weird, kinda creepy vibe. There's a kinda neat mechanic where at some points in the game where you screen is split. One sides your play screen, the other is the bad guys first person view. I should go back and finish Call of Cathulu...
  • mothbanquet - October 31, 2013 5:23 a.m.

I still remember the moment you open the door to that man's attic near the start of Chtulu... Great game despite its faults, building from unease to terror with masterful pace.
  • Imgema - October 31, 2013 12:14 a.m.

System Shock 2
  • samoan - October 30, 2013 11:08 p.m.

What about Clive barker's Undying? I don't remember if that was jump out scares, but it was super creepy. As well as Phantasmagoria and I have no mouth and must scream. Either way great list and Sanitarium is such a great game.
  • deathofthedead - October 30, 2013 9:47 p.m.

What is the game shown on the last page with the giant clown head?
  • GR_LucasSullivan - October 30, 2013 10:51 p.m.

Sanitarium, which I highly recommend. I'd add it to the list, but we'll be including it on another (likely more relevant) one this Friday...
  • shawksta - October 30, 2013 8:49 p.m.

Ah Good ol Call of Cathulu
  • Earthbound_X - October 30, 2013 7:09 p.m.

Yeah, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is an amazing game, but play the Xbox version, the PC version is a terrible glitchly crashy port.
  • Unoriginal - October 30, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Hey, I was wondering: As someone who missed out on Silent Hill 2, is it still worth playing? Every time I hear about it it sounds awesome but has it aged badly?
  • JMarsella09 - October 30, 2013 6:34 p.m.

It's aged fine, if it is your type of game. Graphics, sound, puzzles, they all hold up. Combat does as well, if you like tank controls. Just don't get the HD version, Ps2's the best.
  • Earthbound_X - October 30, 2013 7:10 p.m.

Been a few years since I last played it, but I can say, it's aged fine.
  • Unoriginal - October 31, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Silent Hill, here I come!
  • JMarsella09 - October 30, 2013 4:56 p.m.

Rule of Rose.... That is all....
  • GR_LucasSullivan - October 30, 2013 7:37 p.m.

That's definitely on my bucket list, along with Haunting Ground
  • Eightboll812 - October 30, 2013 3:59 p.m.

I could be mistaken since it was so many years ago, but I don't recall Phantasmagoria relying on pop-out-at-you-from-a-dark-corner.
  • HyldenKing - October 30, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Fatal Frame Forbidden Siren Corpse Party
  • JMarsella09 - October 30, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Fatal Frame is filled with jump scares.