• TheMalteseFalcone - March 6, 2011 10:58 p.m.

This is...interesting. I don't have to much faith in these guys making a shooter, but, studios and devs have proved me wrong before. I just can't help that someone did this already...What was that game? Brothers in Arms or something? I do have to say, however, that trying to inject to much emotion into a game about war can really kill the game itself. I'd rather not get midway into a shooter and have the game change from "Get mission done, go home" to "Get mission done, ponder existence and actions, mental breakdown, Walter Reed/Bethesda psychiatric ward, rest of life in institution." Cause, you know, "press X to take Valium" just doesn't do it for me. But this, of course, is just me.
  • d0x - March 4, 2011 6:43 p.m.

I have no faith in them making a shooter. The first game they made that had any actual action was Omikron and it was TERRIBLE. Making an adventure/crime game is one thing but making a shooter that requires actual gameplay...different. I dont care how good they THINK they are at telling stories or making pretty character models im highly skeptical.
  • gilgamesh310 - March 4, 2011 5:30 p.m.

I couldn't really care less about what this pompous arsehole wants to create next. An FPS with QTE's to create emotional resonance. Yeah whatever pal. quincytheodore, yeah you make a valid point that Cage seems to miss.
  • Shagnasty - March 4, 2011 5:26 p.m.

Press X to surrender.
  • yasmarc - March 4, 2011 4:22 p.m.

AUUUUGH that woman's face got hit by uncanny valley! Seriously make an art style or something cause it's getting creepy with these faces.
  • CitizenWolfie - March 4, 2011 3:59 p.m.

I like Heavy Rain and I like Call of Duty. There, I said it. However I'm not sure about this. Seeing shows like "Generation Kill" which is based on real life soldiers and events showed that not ALL people fighting the wars find it that horrible. Reading the CVG article he cites Apocalypse Now as a potential influence but even that was full of blood-lusting psycho soldiers. I think some of the characters in stuff like COD are probably closer to real life than David Cage thinks. Fair play to him for wanting to do something a bit different but people buy stuff like COD so they can blow shit up. I can't see this selling much if it does happen. Oh yeah, and as mentioned by others above, Homefront are pretty much doing the "emotional shooter" already.
  • miked00d - March 4, 2011 3:58 p.m.

I really hope he doesn't make this game too political. To do what he did with Heavy Rain would be astounding, but he should focus on the immersion and keep the plot simple, but epic. Think hurt locker or private ryan, as opposed to green zone.
  • Jordo141 - March 4, 2011 2:58 p.m.

Congrats Mr Cage; the Brother's in Arms series already did that...
  • Shabana_Arif - March 4, 2011 1:46 p.m.

I think stating that he wants to 'create a genre' is a tad narcissistic. There are plenty of FPS games out there that add a splash of emotion to the story line so it's not new. And I don't want to be exposed to the realities of war when I'm gaming. Surely that defeats the object of it being a game?? Why not make a video game based on a Nazi character that commits atrocities and then bring in some quicktime events during the war crimes tribunal. We know "war is not fun" and that's why games about war don't depict reality because then they would classify as simulators. We're not idiots David.
  • bass88 - March 4, 2011 11:49 a.m.

I can picture it. Your standing in a field of purple flowers during the magic hour and "Press X to ponder your existence" appears on screen.
  • NeelEvil - March 4, 2011 11:47 a.m.

The man's head is so far up his own arse I'm suprised he can still self-fellate.
  • OriginalJonty - March 4, 2011 10:35 a.m.

Band of Brothers the game?
  • Clovin64 - March 4, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Put in some French Child actors, and I'll buy this game on release day.
  • oryandymackie - March 4, 2011 8:17 a.m.

Oh, please. David Cage has been rambling on about changing the 'traditional' formats of gaming. In essence, what Cage wants to see is films with QTEs in them.
  • Person5 - March 4, 2011 6:25 a.m.

I was worried when reading these comments I'd see the normal "Heavy Rain is the most fantastic game ever without giving a reason" comments, I'm glad I'm not the only person in the world who didn't like that game, or this guy for that matter
  • IceBlueKirby - March 4, 2011 5:24 a.m.

I don't really need to echo everyone else, but I'm going to anyway - Homefront is already promising what David Cage is theorizing. That said, having never played a QD game, I don't know if he'd do any good or not...but I certainly wouldn't think it was the first time a shooter brought emotions into play, whether it's throughout the entire game or for just one second.
  • QWERTYCommander - March 4, 2011 5:03 a.m.

...You mean like what Homefront is already trying to do? Good job David Cage, good job.
  • quincytheodore - March 4, 2011 4:54 a.m.

I think multiplayer FPS already crowded with emotional players without the game intended to do so.
  • Japanaman - March 4, 2011 4:09 a.m.

Emotional war shooter? How many people would play that? All people want to do in video games is kill things. By the end of it, people would feel so guilty, they'd never play multiplayer and kill more soldiers.
  • Wrathful - March 4, 2011 4:01 a.m.

@Blasto, By pretentious douche, you mean Peter Molyneux. At least David Cage is willing to experiment. If you think about it, there are so many more talentless hack with money. For the article, good on him. I've only played Indigo Prophecy, and I liked that game. Gameplay may have been halfbaked, I'd rather liked what he was trying to do.