Topics

Old-school

• Taxtm - July 14, 2010 6:15 a.m.

Still happens to me every time I pick up Sonic 3 and Knuckles, even after all these years. I first picked it up when I was 3 or 4 as my first video game, and I'll be 20 in September. I still know where every bonus stage ring is to this day, the moment I pick up the controller.
  • MaynardJ - June 29, 2010 5:40 p.m.

And Doom 1 and 2.
  • MaynardJ - June 29, 2010 5:40 p.m.

Was Earthworm Jim really that hard? I remember finishing it multiple times and saving power shots by killing most enemies with a whip attack, meaning I didn't fire any regular gunshot in the whole (?) playthrough. Eventually even the submarine part became a breeze. This means it's probably as hardwired in my brain as it is in Antista's, and i shuould really get this from XBLA. Also: - the original Prince of Persia (although I had a much harder time with the XBLA version than I should have) - Mega Man 2 (haven't played it since the NES days, so not quite sure) - Batman Returns on SNES; I must have finished that one 10 times. - Starfox
  • FALLINGINFIRE - June 28, 2010 2:38 a.m.

SotC, FFX, Zelda: Majoras mask, ReCAPTCHA: plan sharking
  • purple_omlet - June 28, 2010 1:42 a.m.

Since the first console I ever received was the N64 (rather late, Christmas of 2004), I played my NES like crazy (mind you it's been in my house since before I was born, and I'm currently 19). The one game I could tell you level by level about is definitely Super Mario 3 or Kirbys Adventure in Dream Land. i know it that well. also, i can remember anything you would need to know about Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask... aside form fairy locations. i never felt the need to gather them all.
  • nadrewod999 - June 26, 2010 5:35 a.m.

inFamous. I didn't play it for at least a year, but when I picked it back up (eventually), I was saving/terrorizing the city as if I had only left Empire City yesterday.
  • Mexiflan - June 25, 2010 7:56 p.m.

Ocarina of time,hands down. I can name the exchange chain for the biggoron sword anytime,like it's stuck in my head. The water temple is way easier as well.
  • philipshaw - June 25, 2010 11:05 a.m.

SSX3 for me, that game always brings me back to 2003 with it's awesome visuals,great gameplay and amazing soundtrack
  • JayLin22 - June 25, 2010 9:39 a.m.

I recently played Thunder Force IV on my Mac Genesis emulator - it took me 4 goes to finish it. There were a couple of things I'd forgotten since playing the the actual cartridge 17 (!) years ago, but for the most part I'd remembered the enemy attack patterns, hidden secrets and boss-beating strategies. It was like I hadn't played it for 2 months - I made dumb mistakes, but I knew I'd made a mistake even before my thumbs completed their brain-command. Although it has to be said that my reflexes aren't as quick as they used to be. Curse you, Father Time...
  • DrIntrigue - June 24, 2010 11:42 p.m.

Mega Man 2!
  • nomnom52 - June 24, 2010 11:39 p.m.

I am insanely good at good at Metroid Prime. I hadn't played it since the days when I had a 'cube, but when I saw Prime Trilogy, I had to get it, and Then I just wanted to get the damn wave beam!
  • V13Dragongal - June 24, 2010 11:38 p.m.

I'd have to say LOZ Ocarina of Time too. I still remember every song exactly, even the long teleporting ones.
  • Conman93 - June 24, 2010 11:22 p.m.

I would say Kingdom Hearts 2 although the gameplay is insanely simple in that. I am able to complete the game 100% in under 25 hours on proud mode without dying ( I did it a few times) I'm usually pretty good at SSBB no matter how long the break. Most of the console Zeldas are sort of memorized too!
  • EnragedTortoise1 - June 24, 2010 11:16 p.m.

MAG and Bad Company (the first one) constantly confuse me. Guy shooting at you? PRESS TRIANGLE! NO! SHIT! CLICK THE RIGHT STICK! Knife a guy? CLICK THE RIGHT STICK! NO! FUUU... PRESS TRIANGLE!
  • hyrumwhite - June 24, 2010 9:29 p.m.

After Seeing the new trailers of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, I decided to fire up the original. As soon as the first random encounter occurred, EVERYTHING came back to me. Which enemy I should fight first, when to attack with which characters, I even remembered the nuances of Djinni summoning even though I hadn't received those abilities yet.
  • StoneDreadnaught - June 24, 2010 9:26 p.m.

*final boss
  • StoneDreadnaught - June 24, 2010 9:25 p.m.

I'm gonna go with Crusader of Centy, an old Genesis Zelda knock-off. (It was in an article here on the site) I know every level's layout, every animal combination, how to defeat each part of the boss from easiest to hardest. Now I"m just waiting for the HD version to come out.
  • GoldenMe - June 24, 2010 9:20 p.m.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2. First of all, I quite literally beaten the game over 100 times in my lifetime. Second, I memorized every path in every Act and Stage and Zone. And third, the whole soundtrack is etched into my brain. Emerald Hill, Chemical Plant, Casino Night, you name it.
  • RebornKusabi - June 24, 2010 9:12 p.m.

I literally know every single minute detail about Silent Hill 1-3 and Fatal Frame 1-3. As in, I know what to do, where to go, how to combat certain monsters and even in the case of all of the Fatal Frame's, I've gotten to the point where I can literally never be hurt for the entirety of my playtime which each Fatal Frame. Another example if it needs to be 16-bit is Super Metroid. I not only know how to sequence break but even if I'm playing normally, I can usually 100% that game in under two hours.
  • admjwt - June 24, 2010 8:56 p.m.

@cyberninja thats eaxactly how my friends siser is. she got the game the day it came out and has beaten it thouasands of times since.