• EtherealBoss - June 26, 2012 10 a.m.

To me FF XII was probably the best of the bunch and the funniest to play. Great story and characters, loved the gameplay (even though the gambit system could have played a bigger role), graphics were great and the music was also very fitting for the whole premise. VII had a great story, and it was definitely a huge step forward from the previous games, but as dcbernman said, it hasn't aged well at all. I also tend to believe that a remake would make things worse rather than better, so I somewhat dread such a possiblity >.< Sadly I have not played VI, so I'm reserving judgement on that. X was awesome, but compared to VII and XII, I always feel like it was too straightforward, that I wouldn't be able to play it a second time. XIII left me terribly unimpressed, didn't hate it, didn't love it gameplay-wise, but the characters were all downright horrible. Hopefully Versus will go better.
  • Clovin64 - June 26, 2012 9:53 a.m.

I've never heard a bad word said about FFIX. surely that should rank pretty darn highly? As for me, FFVI all the way.
  • ACardAttack - June 26, 2012 9:30 a.m.

Apparently he never played VI or IX...and I'd say X is just in the same ball park as VII
  • dcbernman - June 26, 2012 9:09 a.m.

VII is alright. But try and pick it up today and it doesn't hold a candle to VI, VIII, IV, or X. It hasn't aged well at all. It was a remarkable flagship game that has a lot more flaws than people give it credit. In my opinion, FFVII is one of the most mediocre FFs, just cuts corners really well.
  • Thedigitalg - June 26, 2012 11:09 a.m.

I replay 7-10 on a yearly basis. I would say that 7 still holds up marvelously, because I do not care about graphics in a game. 8-10 all play well too!
  • FoxdenRacing - June 26, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Um...FF9? Best Final Fantasy of the PS1/PS2 era, as far as I'm concerned. Captures the charm and feel of the classics, wonkiness in the writing is kept to a minimum, likable characters, just an all around excellent game.
  • usedforglue - June 26, 2012 8:23 a.m.

FF7 was a game that was put out at the right time and helped shape a generation of games and gamers alike. True, it was a fantastic game (my favorite of the franchise) but it was also revolutionary. It is the game that got me, and thousands like me, into the JRPG scene. I got a PS1 specifically for that game. FF7 took JRPG's into the next dimensions and showed the world what the future of gaming could look like. There are countless factors that put FF7 at the top of the charts and SquareEnix will probably never be able to reproduce the scenario on purpose or by accident.
  • ShortFuse - June 26, 2012 7:54 a.m.

I rate FFVII pretty highly actually, despite the flaws it has. Secret Of Mana pisses on all of them though.
  • berry87 - June 26, 2012 7:52 a.m.

no what the guy is saying, to his share holders you know the people who make the money not that it's the best final fantasy there is on his behalf but in sales and profit and the mania surrounding FFVII, there must be something about that game whats out selled and out shined every other final fantasy game there is no matter wat your view is. honestly for me, 7 was the best, i feel the story was alot better than the rest, i felt more towards the characters in that game, and the world was massive, and wot you could do in the world made it amazing, ff8 came out i tried to play that but it just didn't fell quite like 7, so i think it's more that once you play 7 then 8 came out most people probably walked away from it, like i did and never went back, i think i tried 10 or maybe 11 and just didnt feel like it was any good
  • christopherwesten - June 26, 2012 7:31 a.m.

you know, Wada has an idea but can't seem to write it in anything but swahili. I personally am disappointed about the decline in the experience that was final fantasy over the years. But as creative director, isn't that his fault. So should i go to a restaurant and tell the bus boy, thanks for the meal... you're a great cook? No, i'd go to the cook and in this case, i'd set him up right next to the filet minion and sizzling pile of peppers & onions to top it. Why? I'm not crazy, i just get disgusted when people renounce artistic masterpieces of both story and spirit (8 and 9) and shove the blame on someone else for such a roust. You are part of a collective when creating a game, ideas are pooled, decisions are made but if you either don't have the balls to cop for a failure or acknowledge a work you were a part of. FF8 and FF9 were masterpieces, but if for some reason wada, you don't think so at least have the balls to say to yourself. I made that. I put my best foot forward at the time and that's what came out. Don't renounce shit because you unhappy with the results. Have some pride!!!!
  • Muuurgh - June 26, 2012 6:02 a.m.

So, what, are they going to bring Uematsu back to write the score this "better" Final Fantasy? That's a huge part of what makes the old FF games--it's not just better written storytelling. They'd have to either get him back or find someone that's "close," but I feel like all of those kinds of composers have already left Square for other endeavours. While I prefer FFIX myself, until Square's about to go under this remake will never see the light of day if what Wada says is true.
  • red-herring-mcguffin - June 26, 2012 5:46 a.m.

I'm actually with Justin on this one...FF IX was my favourite...i just love the style and the systems of it....and it's the best looking ff game on psx. but still FF VII was a revolution at the time of it's release, and you can still feel that, if you're playing it today.
  • KA87 - June 26, 2012 5:45 a.m.

I personally enjoyed FF-12 the most, but it was from the stand point that I enjoyed the very complex battle engine and the ability to freely flow around the environment and to be able engage in combat without having to go to a battle screen. I also liked the fact that I could control were my character was standing during combat. Also, the wide variety of different environments and enemy types was really cool. The hunts and the random boss type monsters were also a lot of fun to hunt down. The downside to the game was the story. It was okay and was a good length, but it really lacked a true antagonist. Your party does not even personally run into the stories antagonist until the end of the game and to be fair, I really did not hate him too much. It’s not like 10 were you are constantly plagued by Sin and Seymour or 13 were the Pope look alike keeps showing and try’s to kill you. It was also really lacking a good romantic relationship like Yuna and Titus. It is just my opinion and I know that your favorite FF game is better.
  • Cyberninja - June 26, 2012 5:35 a.m.

What he actually means is no other game has sold as much overall, with all the spinoffs and useless crap he sold to fans. FF7 is a pretty standard game overall, there are other games in the serious way better than it but if I said which ones that would just spark butthurt fanboys attacking me.
  • blazikenman - June 26, 2012 7:23 a.m.

No, that's not what he means, but thanks for attempting to read his mind anyway. FF XI was actually there most profitable game. And while you say that other games in the series are better, that is still just a matter of your opinion. Square Enix's Ceo's opinion is that FF XII has yet to be surpassed in "quality" (not money). And although his opinion is no better than yours,it certainly has more merit to it seeing as he runs the company that actually made the game and every game that followed it.
  • Cyberninja - June 26, 2012 1:41 p.m.

FF12?! I thought the CEO was talking about FF7? Also in the case of FF11 its an MMO of course it made the most by itself, unless it is said that they were considering all the products relating to FF7 they were probably weren't, if they did include all the products it would make the sales numbers alot higher. Finally he considers it a "a gate way God" game if you read the source so he never directly said that it was the best game in the series, just the highest quality, which could be interrupted in a number of ways.
  • blazikenman - June 27, 2012 9:30 p.m.

That was a typo lol. And that's my whole point in this matter. I never said that he said it was the best, he said it has the highest quality. I fail to see how that could be interpreted as "it made the most money", because if that was the case, he would have just said so. There may be better FF games (which is still just of matter of opinion) but FF7 simply has the biggest fanbase of all them. The only reason I played it was because of all the hype (and I wasn't disappointed). The only other FF game that I have ever seen hyped up almost just as much is FF9 and I enjoyed that too.
  • Cyberninja - June 28, 2012 2:39 p.m.

I understand what you mean, the reason I interupt it as it made the most money overall is because he won't just let the remake happen and let it die because the fanbase is so large, like even I bought FF7 on psn and have the movie and crisis core.
  • BladedFalcon - June 26, 2012 5:15 a.m.

"During a Q&A session at the company’s annual shareholder meeting, Wada explained why there hasn’t been a return to Final Fantasy VII: “We’ll make a Final Fantasy VII remake once we’ve made a Final Fantasy game that exceeds the quality of Final Fantasy VII.” Riiiight... And I'm sure that it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that if they re-made the game, what they would be doing would be to break the nostalgia, rose tinted lenses all the rabid fans has on the game, and THAT is what would hurt popularity in the franchise. That the Square Enix's own CEO has this obviously fan pandering opinion, and has obviously forgotten what made old FF games great, (Well defined stories and characters, proper cast variety, avoidance of cliches, Lack of Hand-Holding, rewarding exploration, ETC.) does certainly explain why the FF franchise hasn't come close to being any good as it once was.
  • taokaka - June 26, 2012 4:44 a.m.

final fantasy 14 is absolutely the best. jokes