• antiAntag0nist - October 24, 2013 1:24 p.m.

The Double Barreled Shotgun in Turok 2 was pretty cool. Explosive shells was the way to go with this gun. There was a very satisfying felling in blasting a gaping hole in the chest of a Dinosoid, good times.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - October 24, 2013 12:56 p.m.

I don't know why, but I always loved the shotguns from Left 4 Dead.
  • Satchurated - October 24, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Yeah I think the Gnasher shotgun from Gears of War was definitely better than the sawed off. With the sawed off, if you're not directly in front and not accurate, you're pretty much screwed. Whereas the Gnasher, you had more shots and with a quick active reload, you're pretty unstoppable.
  • bobob101 - October 24, 2013 12:50 p.m.

The weapons of the Borderlands series are always ridiculus, but if I had to pick one for this list, it would be the SWORDSPLOSION!!!! Why, because instead of bullets it shoots exploding swords. Duh.
  • ObliqueZombie - October 24, 2013 12:39 p.m.

God I love me some shotguns. Halo 4's is my favorite design of one in a good long time. Great look, sound, and feel. My personal favorite, though, is the Gnasher. I loved that thing across three games and many MP matches.
  • StrayGator - October 24, 2013 12:31 p.m.

despite having a wide array of inventive shotguns throughout Borderlands, in my humble opinion SLEDGE'S SHUTGON IS THE SHOTGUNNIEST OF THEM ALL IT IS BIG LOUD SLOW PRIMITIVE DEVESTAATING IN POINT BLANK AND BEComes completely ineffective aimed at targets more than 3 feet away. also, Flak Cannon. seriously, what were you thinking? I'd take it over Q3's sg every time. Hell, for me UT only had the Flak, some weapons you use when you run out of flak ammo and the redeemer.
  • NightlordKrusnik - October 24, 2013 noon

Where is the M13 Semi-Automatic Shotgun from the original Killzone? 8 rounds before reloading, single shot primary, double shot secondary.... but when you really need to make something dead the nice little 'cheat' to press both fire buttons and fire all three shots. Pure Bliss
  • bamit11 - October 24, 2013 11:22 a.m.

I think Fallout 3's Terrible Shotgun, the unique variant of the normal Combat Shotgun, should be on this list. It looks like a freaking PPSH and can kill a Super Mutant Behemoth in one shot if done correctly. That thing is a monster.
  • tomasfr89 - October 24, 2013 10:57 a.m.

Borderlands' Boom Stick: Holy crap, it shoots rockets! Painkiller's Shotgun/Ice Gun: who needs reloading? Killing Floor's Dragon Breath: incendiary bullets? YES. Unreal Tournament's Flak Cannon: the only gun you'll ever need. Blood 2's Sawed-off Shotgun: dual-wielding carnage! Another day, another corpse...
  • Technomancer - October 24, 2013 10:28 a.m.

Seriously, 13 examples to choose from in Mass Effect 3 and not one of them made this list? The Reegar shoots cone lightning, the Krogan Claymore is a roar of death to anything in its sights and the Piranha's rapid-fire shreds enemies like the proverbial feeding frenzy. None of them made this list? Then there's the absurd variety of shotguns in Borderlands 1&2, each with their own little twist on the standard formula.
  • Elitepwnsface - October 24, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Totally left out Combat Evolved shot gun. That shotty spread total chaos in the first Halo
  • john-repole - October 24, 2013 10:11 a.m.

I don't know how you can include 3 pretty much identical archaic shotguns, that neglect physics, over the flak gun which is one of the most innovative of the shotguns in gaming. Alternate "slug/lobbed" rounds and projectiles that bounce around walls are way more innovative than the many reskins included on here. When I think "finest" I tend to include innovation, effectiveness, and creativeness in my justification rather than colors and sounds.
  • chriszewski - October 24, 2013 9:53 a.m.

I still remember the first time i made virtual bowels spill out of a badguy's torso with a close range blast of the B-42 in SoF. Blew my mind. I'm tempted to call the Mah Wha Deuce Spas 12 the de facto shotty of the current gen, while best of all time goes to the super shotty from Doom 2.
  • Bloodstorm - October 24, 2013 9:52 a.m.

The WSTE-M5 Combat Shotgun from Bungie's Marathon 2 and Infinity. Duel wielding 2 double barreled shotguns that stopped just about everything, got to love them. Plus, Marathon gets so little love compared to the Dooms, Quakes and Duke Nukems of the time. Also, the Galleria 1991 from Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, you can upgrade it to have 4 barrels that shoot out freaking fire! One blast and you'll kill your target and burn down half a hillside in the process.
  • monk_on_the_run - October 24, 2013 1:54 p.m.

I was so disappointed they left out he Galleria! When it is fully customised it is probably my favourite shotgun
  • Shayz - October 24, 2013 9:10 a.m.

RESISTANCE 3 FLAME SHOTGUN -How can you forget about this!! If you don't kill them with the first shot, they will most likely burn to death from the side effects. It even has an underbarrel flame grenade! XCOM: Enemy unknown laser shotgun -Cause shooting lasers out of a shotgun is just awesome. UT Flak Cannon -Seriously? It might not be a "shotgun", but it sure works like one.
  • tomasspipass - October 24, 2013 8:56 a.m.

While not techincally a shotgun, I think the Flak Cannon from the Unreal series should deserve a special mention. With two modes of fire, primary fire sending a compacted blast of metal shards, ripping into your opponent like most effective shotguns with the added bonus of the shards reflecting off walls allowing you to gain kills around corners. However the secondary fire allowed you to fire a cannister that exploded with shards on impact allowing you to deal death by predicting your opponents moves and firing were they were about to be. Can we have a new unreal game for next-gen please epic? :D
  • chriszewski - October 24, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Considering the "spread" from contra was included, i completely agree that the flak cannon should have gotten a mention.
  • smashpro1 - October 24, 2013 8:53 a.m.

No love for Borderlands 2's Swordsplosion?
  • RedHarlow - October 24, 2013 8:38 a.m.

I've always like FEAR's shotgun. Rips off limbs, sends people flying. Put on slo-mo to double the fun. It's the one gun you get and never drop.