• KidKatana - October 25, 2013 3:21 a.m.

An article about shotguns by Hooters that doesn't mention Half-life 2? Incredible. I would say the best thing about the gun was how you got it - you fight your way up onto a bleak rooftop and then a crazy priest chucks it across to you after blasting some xenomorph zombies...it felt like getting a Zelda item. But that's obviously not the best thing. The best thing about every gun in Half-life 2 is the noise they make.
  • patrick-edward - October 25, 2013 12:45 a.m.

GTA 5 - assault shotgun is the best gun i've ever used in a video game
  • GOD - October 24, 2013 11:07 p.m.

First off from Ratchet and Clank, the Sonic Eruptor may be more recent and quirky, but the Blitz Gun from Going Commando is superior because of it's raw efficiency. It just fired from a square grid of gun barrels giving you the most brilliant and simultaneously most blunt in terms of concept shotgun ever. You want a shotgun that shoots two barrels in a spray in front of you? Why not 16 barrels? The Blitz Gun is for you. Secondly, I see lots of Xbox exclusive games having there shotguns being brought up.... in fact just about every Xbox exclusive series has a shotgun here. That's fine, but what about all the lovely shotties from Sony's shooters? The Rossmore from Resistance 2 or the Sawed Off from Uncharted 3?
  • bang1221 - October 24, 2013 9:47 p.m.

I would have to say Half Life and Half Life 2 shotgun would make the list for me and the flak cannon from UT. Definitely agree with Doom/Doom 2 and Resident Evil 4 couldn't have made it through half of those games without the shotgun.
  • archnite - October 24, 2013 10:07 p.m.

I second the Half Life 2 shotty and raise the Rossmore from Resistance 3, it shot molten fire like a belching dragon and was so pretty.
  • WrathLord03 - October 24, 2013 8:47 p.m.

It wasn't a particularly great gun, sound-wise or attack-wise, but the irony of calling a shotgun a Peacemaker surely wasn't lost on the guys who made Red Faction: Guerrilla. And it looked great, like a smaller version of the M45D (not that I've ever used it). I'm pretty sure I've heard the name elsewhere, though, so maybe it wasn't their idea. And automatic shotguns are awesome, but if I had to pick one, it'd have to be the one you get late into Spec Ops: The Line. It was a damn powerhouse, it felt like an LMG with shotgun rounds, and they were explosive, just to top it all off. A complete game-changer, especially on FUBAR. Max Payne 3's dual sawnoffs were fun to play around with for a while, but it wasn't so much the guns that were great - rather, Max's awesomeness rubbing off onto them. Also, honourable mention to Metro's Shambler. Great concept, extremely badass to reload as you hefted the gun around, but the sound design and impact of the shot was lacking.
  • Eightboll812 - October 24, 2013 7:14 p.m.

Far Cry 2 USAS-12, also known as the auto-shotty
  • Swedish_Chef - October 24, 2013 5:32 p.m.

This list is missing the flak cannon from Unreal Tournament, the explosive round shotgun in GTA IV The Ballad of Gay Tony and Metal Slug's SHAWTGUN!
  • pinoklin - October 25, 2013 8:49 a.m.

ah i forgot about metal slug, the shotgun is actually my favorite weapon in it. it fires a very literal HUGE cone of pure death.
  • lucas-nutkins - October 24, 2013 4:28 p.m.

I love the idea that it's called Hitman: Bloody Money, whether intentional or not.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - October 24, 2013 3:37 p.m.

(in the autotuned voice of T-Pain) SHOTTAIEY!
  • g1rldraco7 - October 24, 2013 3:25 p.m.

The boneduster always makes me smile in Bulletstorm. Where would we be without shotguns? Probably dead.
  • Qujeaux - October 24, 2013 2:51 p.m.

Oh yeah! And the Blunderbuss in Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare. Load it with spare parts from vanquished foes' bodies, then vaporize the next poor jerk to cross your path.
  • Qujeaux - October 24, 2013 2:46 p.m.

Hands down, the shotgun from Perfect Dark on n64... With a double blast as the secondary function to make you feel safe, even in a level swarming with the most ruthless and invincible Darksims. You could literally hear almost every pellet tearing through their flesh. Classic.
  • mademanrdo - October 24, 2013 8:19 p.m.

correct
  • Waldo - October 25, 2013 5:13 p.m.

Darn right brotha.
  • bamb0o-stick - October 24, 2013 2:36 p.m.

Shotgun from Metal Slug. It just evaporated everything in its cloud blast with a satisfying explosion.
  • winner2 - October 24, 2013 1:48 p.m.

I personally loved using a shotgun in crackdown, but I can't remember which one. Maybe it was the "Dempsey" or something I think
  • Pruman - October 24, 2013 1:44 p.m.

I went through this entire list looking for F.E.A.R.'s shotgun, which is my favorite example of this. It looked really cool, possessed loud, meaty report and reload sounds, and had the awesome tendency to remove heads and limbs when used at point-blank range. It also looked pretty ****ing sweet when it caused every non-living thing you hit with it to spark and explode in slow motion. Also, the absence of UT's Flak Cannon is shameful. It's a shotgun AND a grenade launcher!
  • GR_DavidHoughton - October 25, 2013 9:42 a.m.

I left out the F.E.A.R. shotgun. I can believe I left out the bloody F.E.A.R. shotgun. *mortified look* Officially add it to the list in your mind, along with a swathe of gushing hyperbole. It's one of the best and I am a forgetful fool.