• soggysage - December 10, 2011 3:38 a.m.

My top five 1) Batman Arkham City 2) Portal 2 3) Uncharted 3 4) Bulletstorm 5) Pokemans Special mention for Mario 3D Land Also never thought Grimm was such a big Halo fan, but his entry definetely proved his love for the franchise!
  • sirdilznik - December 10, 2011 3:24 a.m.

1) Super Mario 3D Land - So insanely fun from the very first moment you start playing and all the way through. It's one of the 3 best Super Mario games ever made in my opinion. 2) Portal 2 - Brilliant level design, terrific voice acting, hilarious dialogue, great story. Valve may not pump out games as quick as other studios, but when they do put a game out boy is it amazing. 3) The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Masterful storytelling, top-notch voice acting, breathtaking visuals, compelling characters, difficult moral choices with game changing consequences, badass boss fights. RPG of the year and #3 on my list of greatest RPGs of all time behind only Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate 2. 4) TES V: Skyrim - Would be RPG of the year (and game of the year) in just about any other year. All the open world goodness you've come to expect from TES games with a better setting and story than Oblivion, though not quite as good as Morrowind. 5) Batman: Arkham City - Just saying that it's definitely better than Arkham Asylum is high praise in itself.
  • CatrParrot - December 10, 2011 3:07 a.m.

I forgot Bulletstorm came out this year. Anyway, my top five: 1. Skyrim 2. Arkham City 3. Bulletstorm 4. ...too embarrassed to say, since it's kind of mediocre. 5. L.A. Noire
  • Senorwaffles - December 10, 2011 5:45 a.m.

Duke Nukem??? It's in my top 5, so its not embarassing.
  • CatrParrot - December 10, 2011 12:27 p.m.

No, since I haven't played it or any Duke Nukem game, for that matter. Perhaps I should...
  • mikeylawson - December 10, 2011 2:51 a.m.

Uncharted gets my vote. Hands down. The captch wants me to put the symbol for pi. WTF?
  • jackthemenace - December 10, 2011 2:21 a.m.

Wow, I'm kinda disappointed that TWO of GR UK's favourites were MARIO... Still, Skyrim appeared a few times, as did Shadow of the Damned, which totally deserved it. Super excited to see that Houghters even chose Bulletstorm, which me feel WAY less embarrassed about loving the hell out of it.
  • DualWieldingIsNotFeasible - December 10, 2011 1:32 a.m.

A ridiculous number of incredible games came out this year, so Skyrim deserves extra credit for easily being my GOTY. And even as a die-hard Halo fanboy since the series' inception (I still get choked up watching the 'Believe' ad), I laughed my ass off at Grimm's entry.
  • IamTheBalance - December 10, 2011 12:40 a.m.

So glad to see someone pick Bulletstorm. By far the best FPS of the year.
  • shawksta - December 10, 2011 12:06 a.m.

Damn Justin, your Unpredictable! As Many has said, Too many awesome games this year that deserve the spot, there are 3 for me specifically that earned Top Dog: Portal 2, Skyrim, Skyward Sword Those 3, all having to wait 5-6 years was definitly worth Waiting for, all 3 of them being awesome Masterpieces in their personal way And of course you cant forget about the other awesome games this year, the Dark Alley's of Arkham City, The spirit World of Reverse Death watching in Ghost Trick, Drake Bigass Adventure in Uncharted 3 and many more, they are all Winners and Hopefully will all deserve the praise they deserve and not just comments about the usual stuff like Arrows to the knees and the battle between B3 and MW3
  • Regemony - December 9, 2011 11:58 p.m.

I Agree there are a lot of contenders for my own GOTY. I'd have to go with The Witcher 2. Though I recently finished the majority of content in Skyrim after 150 hours played, I still found TW2 to have a lasting effect on me. Definitely not a perfect game, but I found the story to be more engrossing than Skyrim. Very close to call though!
  • taokaka - December 9, 2011 11:47 p.m.

I can't decide my game of the year, it's a five way tie between skyrim, batman, uncharted, deus ex and portal 2. But there were so many other awesome games that came close like LBP 2, Infamous 2, killzone 3, dead space 2, professor layton, Ico/shadow of the colossus, god of war origins and resistance 3. Wow this year has been good for sony.
  • Claymore65 - December 9, 2011 11:24 p.m.

For me it is Skyrim. I got the game recently and have already clocked about 66 hours in it. It is immersive, creative, and extremely fun. Plus, its fun to roleplay a warrior who only adventures so he can get more ingots for blacksmithing.
  • DoctorGordonFreeman - December 9, 2011 11:13 p.m.

I agree with all of these as being the best games of this year, but I'd add Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It really stood out to me as an amazing PC gaming experience. Of course Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Portal 2, and Uncharted are my other top ones.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 9, 2011 11:09 p.m.

(sigh)... Skyrim, for me. No surprise. STILL playing it as if it were brand new. Hell, I JUST started advancing into the maing campaign with roughly 70 hours under my belt, and I'm still unintentionally leaving my mouth open. And Michael... fantastic article. Never have a read such a piece of journalistic art in all of my life, that I'm half-tempted--no, absolutely--going to print that off and frame it on my small, poorly painted dorm wall. Hats off.
  • RedHarlow - December 9, 2011 11:05 p.m.

Michael Grimm's entry was solid gold.
  • TheZigMan - December 9, 2011 11:03 p.m.

This is my list 1. Skyrim 2. Deus Ex Human revolution 3. The Witcher 2 4. Battlefield 3 5. Shogun 2 Total War
  • Corsair89 - December 9, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Skyrim. That is all.
  • TheVoid - December 9, 2011 10:31 p.m.

When I saw Grimm's vote I thought...wait, doesn't Grimm HATE Halo? Then I read his entry, which was proof positive. Loved it. Although, and I'm surprised I'm the first to holler "But waitaminute...where's X?!", my personal X being Dark Souls. As soon as I saw Keast's name (before seeing his pick) I thought "Dark Souls for sure", and then my jaw dropped when I saw Arkham City instead. This told me two things: 1) OK, it's official - I need to pick up Arkham City stat and 2) Dark Souls had better show up somewhere later in this article... Sadly no, but that's fine. To each their own, right? And I do so always enjoy to see where everyone lands with their "top of the year" picks. The predictables get proper reinforcement while the unexpecteds get a savory boost of attention (Gilbert for SOTD? Gotta check it out...). So Grimm - what would be your GOTY then, really?
  • DevonOO7 - December 9, 2011 10:25 p.m.

Strange how Charlie said Portal 2 instead of Batman.